ROP and Ashperical?

a4d

Enlightened
Hey all, i'm planning on building an 2D ROP. How will an aspherical lense work with it? I really don't know all to much about modding, and nothing about aspherical lenses. I've read alot about the lenses and figured i'd ask if one would work well with an ROP.

I'm looking to achieve throw as much as possible. Thanks in advance..

Gunner12

Flashaholic
They probably won't work too well unless you have the right optic. Probably much easier with reflectors.

At full focus, you will get the projection of the filament and loose all the light that doesn't hit the optic(that's quite a bit of light loss), and the reflector will make an ugly pattern(If you use a reflector, this will also reflect a lot of the light so more light gets focused by the optic, it just won't look too good).

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The aspherical lens used in most LED mods will just project a beam of the texture of the reflector. The spill will be filled with lots of lumps and artifacts. The light that goes the be projected into the filament shape never hits the reflector so the texturing won't do anything to smooth out the beam.

jugg2

Enlightened
The aspherical lens used in most LED mods will just project a beam of the texture of the reflector. The spill will be filled with lots of lumps and artifacts. The light that goes the be projected into the filament shape never hits the reflector so the texturing won't do anything to smooth out the beam.

Oh, I see. Thanks for the info!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Yes, it won't really be focused by the optic. The path of the photon will be affected but it won't be focused by the reflector.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it will work, because of a computer problem I cannot give you the thread today. Jim Jones has done some extensive work with them and I have a long comment hypothesizing why it works in his thread. I am using a A123 powered 5761 with a 254mm aspheric. I am building another at this minute, I just took a break. Please look up Jim Jones, from member page and look up all threads started and I think you will find it. It works differently than what you do with an LED and aspheric lens. You end up with a true flood/spot, works like stage lights.
The beam remains the same diameter but focusing changes the size of the hot spot from flood to tight spot. Obviously the spill beam works in reverse to the spot. You do not get a focused image. The technique is critical to the focal length of the lens, we found one paticular 254 to be the nuts. I believe it basically is projecting a beam that is out of focus and based on a crossectional plane of the reflection out of the reflector, oh well, please look up my post in JJs thread and see what you think. We have no real idea why it works, but it does.
He has listed several lights build like this in b/s/t with various lenses. I am also working this week end on a 64430, 4C size on A123 cells, a jack and AW driver for 2250torch lumens/ 1400/700 and run time of 20/40/60 theoretical based on the driver. I will post it if it works like we think it will.

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it will work, because of a computer problem I cannot give you the thread today. Jim Jones has done some extensive work with them and I have a long comment hypothesizing why it works in his thread. I am using a A123 powered 5761 with a 254mm aspheric. I am building another at this minute, I just took a break. Please look up Jim Jones, from member page and look up all threads started and I think you will find it. It works differently than what you do with an LED and aspheric lens. You end up with a true flood/spot, works like stage lights.
The beam remains the same diameter but focusing changes the size of the hot spot from flood to tight spot. Obviously the spill beam works in reverse to the spot. You do not get a focused image. The technique is critical to the focal length of the lens, we found one paticular 254 to be the nuts. I believe it basically is projecting a beam that is out of focus and based on a crossectional plane of the reflection out of the reflector, oh well, please look up my post in JJs thread and see what you think. We have no real idea why it works, but it does.
He has listed several lights build like this in b/s/t with various lenses. I am also working this week end on a 64439, 4C size on A123 cells, a jack and AW driver for 2250torch lumens/ 1400/700 and run time of 20/40/60 theoretical based on the driver. I will post it if it works like we think it will.

I think it's the same principle that allows flood focus in LED aspheric mags. You get the light source closer to the lens than its focal length and get a nice circle of light.

Latest posts