Spray on diffusor

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
rustoleum makes a product called frosted glass which is a semi transparent finish used for making house windows opaque for privacy.
i figured to give it a try to diffuse some beamshots. i wasn't keen on using a film as i wanted something more professional. i also didn't want a diffused led because i only wanted a partial diffuse as i'll explain later.

it basically goes on like any spray paint. shake the can and spray from a distance of approx. 10". i did 3 coats with a couple of minutes of drying time between coats as directed.
with the 3 coats it diffuses the beam but not as much as scotch tape. i suppose you could use more or less of the product to get the desired amount.

it says do not apply to surfaces that exceed 200F deg. also areas that would get repeatingly wet.
i'm not sure how hot a hotwire mag gets. it works fine with my tri cree
i also wonder if this is a good way to stipple a reflector for that orange peel effect. i'm not sure.

okay the reason why i want a partial diffuse is that i have one of those dx tri cree in a mag.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9358
the modes are 1 cree, 2 or all 3.
now i have mixed feelings about multi cree lights. they dont have an even flood or the tight spot of an aspheric mag. i feel the aspheric mag is the best form in that it can do a med range flood with an even beam or a long range tight spot.
a multi cree has a med range hot spot with spill. no close range, no far range. it doesn't do either well. i can imagine a ssc would possibly make a floodier beam. not sure as i don't own a multi ssc light.

back on topic. since the modes allowed for 1 , 2, or all 3, i decided to diffuse 2 of the crees. this will give me a low diffused, high diffused, and a high diffused with hotspot(med throw).
a diffused lens offers a wider beam pattern that is great for indoors.
pics coming

Last edited:

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm not sure about the intensity to be honest. i can imagine there has to be some sort of lumen loss. nothing too dramatic as it lights up the room on a ceiling bounce similar on the before and after.