GOT 6P?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK I know this topic must have come up before but I figure it is time for a refresh.
Recently there has been a resurgence in interest in the 6P/G2 Surefire form factor. Mostly due to the P60L.
I figure this is also because of the number of different LED drop In's available for these lights.
Lets face it. The 6P is THE original professional flashlight. My first 6P was my first "real flashlight". With all of these new drop In's, accessories and new high output Lamp Assemblies this is one of the most flexible hand held lighting systems available today.

OK down to the nitty gritty.
My current EDC 6P is an old black round body (no SF markings). It has a Z59 switch, and a stock head. Inside is a Malkoff M60 (the high power unit) a FM35 completes the light.
I carry this in a Concealco semi-custom leather holster.
You know what? This is one hell of a light.
I have another which is a newer body a Z59 a detonator extender and a KT1/2 turbo head on it with some sort of super high power 9V lamp in it.

I have a third which is the very first 6P I bought. It is bone stock and is anodized green.

OK guys I am not one to be restrictive or anything but PLEASE keep this topic focused on lights which start with the surefire 6P/G2 2 cell battery tube as a base.

I know there are lots of variations to this theme and lots of stuff the general community is interested in. The 6P is a light with character. It has been on the market for a long time now. I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon. So lets Share our best with the rest of the world.

Yaesumofo
Here is an image of a few 6P based lights.
One thing I know and love is how flexible this system is. Yesterday I was carrying a 6P set up with a fm35. Today the base light is a g2 with the FM35. Why you might ask did I make the switch? Well I like that both the body and the FM35 is made from NITROLON this stuff is an indestructible material. IMHO as a combination this looks cooler. I just need to find another clicky Z59 switch for it. that HAIII switch was an accident which forced me to buy all the parts necessary to make a light in HA III Natural. I built a KL6 based light. I liked it so much that I got a nice z58 for it so this one is a spare.
6Pgroupcrsm.jpg

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will be putting together these two Legos soon:

Bored 6PD Body + FM34 + Z32 + Glo-Ring + Dereelight 3SD R2 + 1x600P + Z33 + Z59
6PD Body + FM64 + M2 Bezel + Dereelight 1SM-2 R2 + Detonator + 2x300S + Z33 + Glo-Ring + Z41 w/ McC2S 15 ohm

Last edited:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on many points.

The light was my entry into the world of super bright and finely crafted.
It's seen a number of incarnations but currently serves me well with a G&P clickie and a Malkoff 60 drop in.
Of all the lights I own it is one of only two maybe three that I know for a fact will never get flipped.
The only markings on my light is the Laser Products etching on the tailcap - still love both the look and feel.

A CLASSIC.

paulr

Flashaholic
I've been wanting to snag an early 6p (laser products) one of these days. Are they expensive, in the sense of being sought after collectors' items?

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been wanting to snag an early 6p (laser products) one of these days. Are they expensive, in the sense of being sought after collectors' items?

A run-of-the-mill Laser Products 6P (black) shouldn't set you back too much. I paid $58 for one of mine, but I've seen them go for more (and less) than this.

Regards,
Tempest

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
My first P60 module light was a black G2. I later sold it to a friend who is now running the light with a DX led drop in, and he loves it!

I had to get another P60/P90 module light so I got the 9P, but this was still not what I was looking for, so I got the Dereelight CL1H, but sold it shortly after! I now own a SF 6P, I bought that to accommodate the new kit for SF lights from Opticshq! THIS is exactly what I wanted! I really love the simplicity of this light, the looks, and the feeling. I now have the option to choose the output from a 6P! I have been waiting a long time for this! Before I had to get another brand to have that option, but the 6P is the one I like the most!

It sure is a winning concept!

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are all of my 6 type SF's. They are all box stock. I wish I bought a champagne one also at the time I got the silver but the cost was like $42 dollars!!! That was sticker shock for the 90's.
Picture89004Small.jpg

There were 50 made. Where are the other 49?
Picture89001Small.jpg

Picture80023Small.jpg

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roughly 20 6Ps and counting...

Regards,
Tempest

Wow!

Hardcore.

My 6P now lives in my backpack. With the advent of the P60L this was a no brainer. I got the output and runtime that is perfect for the work I do. Plus the fact that my SC1 will transport the LED module incase I want incan light is a bonus. Then there is the peace of mind that I have a backup emitter in my spares carrier seals the deal for me.

It's also a pretty decent trail light. I do a fair amount of traveling and hike when my work day is done. So I don't need to lug another light with me other than a backup light.

And on top of it all it is a pretty damn good looking light!

kelmo

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first really good light was a Laser Products/ SF 6P back in the early 90's (91/92) when I was stationed in the San Francisco Bay area.

planex

Newly Enlightened
The ability to easily modify/upgrade the 6P/G2 in so many ways ensures that these lights will remain timeless classics. I recently got the Malkoff M60 and it turns my 6P into an incredible performer in such a small compact package. Absolutely amazing. You get extreme value for your money in going with the 6P/G2 hosts.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are all of my 6 type SF's. They are all box stock. I wish I bought a champagne one also at the time I got the silver but the cost was like $42 dollars!!! That was sticker shock for the 90's.

I've never heard of a champagne one before :confused: Any more info?

Regards,
Tempest

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always liked the 6P. It truly is one of those things where "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!".

Dudemar

qadsan

Newly Enlightened
We used to use a couple Surefire 9N's for various tasks in off road racing / fun, but they were expensive lights and much larger than the 6P. We had reliability issues with the 9N lights and switched over to using 6P's. The 6P was a breath of fresh air for us because of its smaller size, brightness, batteries, reliability, etc. As LED technology improved, so did the reliability of our 6P's. And the LED modules were brighter, added new features (multi-levels), and increased the runtime. Later on we had them bored out to fit / use an 18650 battery and that added significant runtime, reduced our cost of ownership and made the light even more versatile. We also added lanyard's and lanyard rings to them so they wouldn't be dropped as often. I really like the concept of the upgradable P60 module so we can bring new life to these lights year after year.

My son's and I have since bought newer 6PD's that are tricked out with lanyard rings, lanyards and glow rings. Our lights were precision bored for the 18650 by fellow CPF'r "scott.cr". We also run Dereelight multi-mode Q5 modules in them and they're now the best 6P light we've ever used. No matter how many brands / models of lights I buy or sell over the years, there will always be at least one 6PD in our family.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
after some 10 years of closet-queening,
milling body for 18650, adding a homemade pill (= a real heatSINK, thick and directly pressed into the body to move the heat away, unlike those inserts), Flupic, Cree with Sandwich Shoppe 19mm alum. reflector and the Z59, this became my No 1 light.

Its "just" a P4 but by far the light I like the most.
(if that R2 of the similar build Inova T1 were not a bummer, this light would be even better; being smaller, but ...
... so the 6P stays top choice here)

avcz41bceo9v3w67o.jpg

Last edited:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
A run-of-the-mill Laser Products 6P (black) shouldn't set you back too much. I paid $58 for one of mine, but I've seen them go for more (and less) than this.

Regards,
Tempest

I'm not much for selling lights and never aim to make a profit. However if there is going to be a light that goes for a ton of bucks when we is dead and buried I'd say the 6P, which was the line in the sand, will only go up in value in years to come.

Keep the box (lost mine) and don't let the family play with it (too late for mine!)

z282z06

Newly Enlightened
I dont have a P6 but I did just get a BOG premium emit for my c3. I have to say its not as bright as I had hoped. Is the malkoff better?

I like the 6p platform, but I can get the same lumens from an e2e with a lumens factory 110 lumen bulb in a smaller edc package.

However, that being said, due to my addiction, I'm sure I will own one sooner than later!