Looking for a Light Similar the the V2 Inova X1

One2gofst

Newly Enlightened
Just like the title says. I want a light very similar to the v2 X1. I want a low but useful output, long runtime on one AA, and bulletproof construction. The momentary switch is a nice feature, but not a deal breaker.

Peak LED Solutions has been adjusted for me, but I can't figure out which one would give me the combination I am looking for. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If it matters, I plan on running Eneloops in these lights.

Saiga

Enlightened
(quote) "I want a low but useful output, long runtime on one AA, and bulletproof construction. The momentary switch is a nice feature, but not a deal breaker."

Sounds like an almost perfect description of the Gerber Infinity Ultra. You'll be hard pressed to find a bad word on them here, and i'm very happy with mine. The best deal i've seen is at Basegear.com for $14.95.

One2gofst

Newly Enlightened
Looks OK. For the price I can give it a shot. However from the output on Flashlightreviews it appears to have only about 1/3 the output of the X1 v2.

Burgess

Flashaholic
FWIW, my Inova X1 (generation 2) was hardly bulletproof.

Dropped it from less than 1-meter height onto a hardwood floor,

and it just DIED ! :mad:

Returned it to Inova, requesting them to FIX (not simply replace) it, but, alas, they could/would not.

They merely replaced it with their "new and improved" generation 3 model. :mecry:

So long, trusted friend. :sigh:

_

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely not cheap at $80, but perhaps the Nitecore light is something that would work for you. Selfbuilt's review shows the light doesn't hit 50% output on low mode until 46 hours, on an alkaline. It's got momentary as well.

I think it's a great time to give Peak a call for options though. They have a 20% coupon on their main page.

dmonay

Newly Enlightened
FWIW, my Inova X1 (generation 2) was hardly bulletproof.

Dropped it from less than 1-meter height onto a hardwood floor,

and it just DIED ! :mad:

Returned it to Inova, requesting them to FIX (not simply replace) it, but, alas, they could/would not.

They merely replaced it with their "new and improved" generation 3 model. :mecry:

So long, trusted friend. :sigh:

_

Same ting happened to me dropped it (X1) from about 3 ft and it is toast. I thought Inova was more bullet proof than that. Has any one else had this problem with other Inova models?? I haven't sent it in yet. Now I know what I will get. The gen 3 version :ohgeez:
I just will have to buy Surefire for a good bullet proof flashlight!

dervishMe

Newly Enlightened
My beloved X1 v2 also died unexpectedly on me down in Baja Mexico. After almost two years of everyday used the body still looked like the day I got it, beautiful. I think it's over built on the outside, underbuilt in the inside.

I always try to buy things that are made here in the US as much as possible but now the Fenix is starting to look really good.

Dervish

PS: after 20 years of daily playing, my US made Mark Levinson power amp is still played and looked like the day I bought it.

Last edited:

L.E.D.

Enlightened
I would go with the Gerber IU, or an original CMG if you can snag one. About the X1, I find the tailcaps are extremely weak (by themselves of course). I've bent (not just slightly dented) 2 X1 tailcaps (v2 and v3 2-watt) after dropping them while they are screwed out. They need to beef up that tail. I was able to rebend them with needlenose pliers, but they still look misshapen and nasty on the damaged areas.

carrot

Flashaholic
The updated Gerber IU should be roughly the same ballpark of brightness as the V2 Inova X1. The FlashlightReviews review of it uses the older version with an older LED (Nichia BS instead of Nichia CS).

One2gofst

Newly Enlightened
Cool, I will have to check out the Gerber IU. I like the Nitecore, but for this use, I don't want a multi-level strobing light, just something low-output, long-running, and reliable. Kinda surprised at all the problems everyone has had with their X1s. Mine has seemed tougher than that.

An aside, I think I will be calling PEAK to see what they can do for me too. Does anyone know about how many candlepower would be equivalent to the output of the X1 v2? Thanks.

One2gofst

Newly Enlightened
Update

Went to the local Target tonight just to see what they had and they still had one of the v2 X1s in stock. I bought it. They must have modified the light halfway through the cycle, because the new one is just a touch longer than my first.

In addition it came with a length of cheap cord rather than the nylon holster my other came with.

The light actually appears slightly dimmer than my other one, when both are running on charged Eneloops.

Still might try the others out, especially the Peak LED Solutions offerings, but for now I am glad to have gotten another of the v2 X1s.

thunderlight

Enlightened
I have a number of Gerber IUs including one Gerber/CMG model, an Inova X1 V.2, and a Peak Kilimanjaro High Power Single LED. Lately, I have been carrying the Peak. I have found all 3 lights to work quite well and provide comparable levels of lighting. The Kilimanjaro is the HA III [aluminum].

As a side note, you can use a mini Mag accessory clip on the Peak. Needless to say, the Peak and Inova have better anodizing, but they all seem highly durable to me.

Last edited: