Arc AAA LE Brightness

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSWrightOC

Enlightened
I just bought a couple of Arc AAA lights from BrightGuy, one a standard and the other an LE. First, a couple of observations:

LE's LED is mounted deep in the reflector, std is mounted much higher.
std's hotspot is *brighter*
you can see a nice reflection on the std's reflector when you look into the beam (meaning more light is gathered and directed in a useful direction) whereas the LE's reflector is hardly utilized at all.

Tell me this isn't consistent with the way it's supposed to be!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

JSWrightOC

Enlightened
It's a AAA Limited Edition--not the Arc LS. The LE is supposed to have a hard-to-find Nichia B1S rank 5mm LED, compared to an A3R, A2R, or A1R (as inidicated on the LED Museum) I think half of my problem is due to the position of the LED in the reflector.

According to Craig Johnson's review, the LE should be noticeably brighter.

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/arcle.htm

JSWrightOC

Enlightened
A couple more notes.

It appears as though the ChemKote finish inside the battery compartment does not quite cover all the internal surfaces! A side-by-side comparison of both bodies reveals this (LE battery tube has a silvery-gray appearance, standard has a bright shiny finish with a light gold tint to it).

The laser-engraved printing on the top (L.E.D."AAA"-Arc Flashlight, LLC) isn't etched very well (compared to the standard) however the "Limited Edition" printing at the bottom looks fine. Forgive me if I seem too picky, but is the LE I possess of inferior quality?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
please feel free to contact peter and explore your options

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

in all seriousness, if you feel that you didn't get what you were looking for, go ahead and try for a replacement.

JSWrightOC

Enlightened
Thank you, I will do that. I was just curious if anyone else had experienced any problems...

I wouldn't be concerned except for the fact that the LE is noticeably dimmer than the standard. It's supposed to be the other way around! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Also, I found the LED is mounted way off center! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

kev65658

Newly Enlightened
I got my LE yesterday. My LED is so far off center it isn't even funny! I read somewhere someone elses is way off center also. I don't have a regular to compare it with, but I expected way more the way everyone talked.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
My LE led was dead center not to far back and excellently finished but the O- ring was dry. Love the light so far and made a lanyard out of flattened and sized paracord with a plastic bead adjuster, pretty cool!

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JSWrightOC

Enlightened
Oops, my thread got moved...I forgot there was a whole discussion forum about Arc flashlights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kev65658:

I was expecting to see a nice difference, as described in The LED Museum's review. This is why I got the LE in the first place (that and the nice HA-III finish). I paid $10 more for the LE model, I should get $10 more in light output! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The regular I have is also a bit off center, but not nearly as bad as my LE. (!)

I have since sent an email to the [email protected] address (the only one I could readily find) in hopes that something can be done. Is your LED set way back in the head? I believe this has a lot to do with my brightness problems.

For now, I am carrying the standard model that I purchased (intended for a friend) until I can get my hands on a better LE.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
the information at craigs site is a little outdated...

all arc's are ha3. all are now natural ha3, but before that, the standard was black, but still ha3.

JSWrightOC

Enlightened
hmm, interesting.

The standard Arc AAA I have is black, must be one of the older runs (perhaps worth something at some point?)

So now the only advantage is the supposed B1S rank LED. That and the "Limited Edition" printing at the bottom. If it said "CPF Limited Edition" it might be worth the extra $10, but given the headaches I don't think I'll buy another one. :p

Right now I don't care if I have a "Limited Edition" AAA or not, I just want two that are reasonably bright and good beams. Don't forget that the ChemKote in my LE might be marginal, too...

B@rt

Flashaholic
This is the AAA line for 2003 according to Peter Gransee:
[ QUOTE ]
Arc-AAA

Standard. Natural color HA housing. Nichia LED. Binning (R-S flux, B2-B3 tint). All the latest improvements. Standard engraving. Some tint variations in HA, lighter/darker. Minor blemishes in HA permitted. Available through dealers and direct web. $28.95 list. Ready to order by February.

Arc-AAA Premium

Same as above except binning is S flux, B1-B2 tint only. Less HA tint variations and blemishes permitted. Engraved "Premium Edition". $39.95 list. Direct sales only. Ready to order by March.

Arc-AAA thoughts...
The LE (SB1 rank) has been frustrating for all concerned. Availability has gotten worse. Even the standard Arc-AAA bins have been difficult to find at times. The color LEDs don't move as fast and dilute our manufacturing growth. Most people prefer the natural HA so it will become the standard. By providing a range of ranks, we should be able to ensure more consistent availability.

[/ QUOTE ]

He did mention something about a setback regarding the LE's,
maybe that is why the led isn't positioned right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gifThere has been a previous LE release that had a reflector with a too big hole in it, wich they fixed with epoxy... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

itsme1234

Newly Enlightened
Now to be EXACTLY on topic, I was thinking about having some "standard" beamshot pictures. I'm not going to buy tens of ARC AAAs only to compare the beams between each other. But we can agree with a very detailed and specific setup and take some pictures (I assume there are quite a few CPF members with digital cameras and Arc AAA and willing to take some pictures). The setup should be something like:

ARC against a white wall, camera close to arc (both perpendiculary against the wall)

distance : ? (1-5 m)
f-length : ? (35-100 mm)
f-stop : ? (2.8-8)
exposure-time : ?
iso : ? (100)

The goal is here to have a setup meningfull and easy to replicate with most cameras.

Anyone with more experience to fill the question marks ? I am going to take some pictures tonight, one way or another ... but I think is better to have a common setup.

JSWrightOC

Enlightened
B@art:

I figured the setback was referring to the production delays. I have read about the issue with the LED hole being too big. I guess I could take some pics of the unit itself as well as some beamshots, though all this may be moot point--after sending an email to Arc, I got a nice reply saying that I could send it to them and they would exchange it. Let's just hope that the one that they send me isn't WORSE! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Good idea, itsme1234. I was actually considering the same thing, though I'm not sure how much control I have over the exposure settings on my camera...I'll have to take a look. Isn't the industry standard for light intensity measurement 1 meter? That would also be far enough that you would be able to discern imperfections in the beam.

JSWrightOC

Enlightened
I suppose a few managed to slip through before they caught the problems, and I was one of the "lucky" few who got one. (I would say lucky because I managed to get an LE model real quick, but "lucky" because it was a dud!)

At least I have the std. AAA to hold me off. I might get a few more of them, I know some people who would like to have them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kev65658

Newly Enlightened
After playing with my LE non-stop since I got it I've come to the conclusion that being off centered is not really that bad. It is extremely bright and white outside the hotspot. My LED doesn't seem to far back so maybe that does have something to do with brightness. Then again I have nothing to compare it to and maybe I shouldn't get a regular so I'm not disappointed.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I have some CMG Ultras, Gov. model, and a red,and blue-green. Any real advantage having a AAA LE, besides size? Ultra's are bigger, but have great battery life. Also, red is awesome. Left red on all night accidently and it is still extremely bright. I have a LSH, beautiful light. ARClovers do seem to be cult like. Not a bad thing.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of the original AAA LE's. The LED is a little off center, but not badly so. The LED tint is slightly greenish, which is exactly the way it's supposed to be for an LE. It appears dimmer than my other Arc as a result of the tint, but actually it's as bright or brighter. I discovered after getting it that I really prefer the blue-ish tinted LEDs, as found in my CPF edition AAA. They appear brighter and whiter to my eyes

mst3k

Enlightened
Ok, I just got my LE today and it is much brighter than my standards (more greenish white) and the led itself is centered just fine! I'm happy!! I had it on order since last December from OneStopKnifeShop. What a wait eh?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.