Surefire A2.....should I?

PinarelloOnly

Newly Enlightened
First off, I am very good at making my own decisions but this one time I need help from a forum.

After telling my wife I want an A2 for my B-day next month I started looking at
other options out there. One is a Pila GL2 or a Wolf-Eyes 6 series and a L1
Lumamax. Even though she's buying it and not being my money, the A2 still seems
really pricy for a main incan lamp of 50 lumens. I know the A2 is very popular,
especially here on CPF but for $195 there are at least two lights that do the same
job with more xenon power. Right? Keep in mind I am sure there is a good
reason and many uses for a 50 lumen incan main lamp but for close to $200?

My choices, her pocketbook, $200 limit:

Pila GL2 (xenon) with red LED tail switch and Lumamax L1…………..$195
Wolf-Eyes 6 series (xenon) w/red LED switch and Lumamax L1……....$175
A2/red LED option.……….…………………………………………..$195

Right now, the Pila and L1 seem to be what to go with for me...but I need some
opions.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sportsmans Warehouse has the A2 on sale for $97.00!!!

Buy the A2!!

I just got one a few weeks ago.....look at my sigline at the bottom of my post, you will see I have a lot of surefires, but since getting the A2 it has not left my side!!!

Awesome useful light!

Wicho

Enlightened
Get an A2 - you won't regret it. Tell your wife to shop on CPFMarketplace.com for you - she can get you an A2 for much less than retail, and with the leftover money buy you a case of beer, some chips, and a couple of pay-per-view fight nights with your buddies!

rtt

Enlightened
Get the A2.....if you look around, you can get it for between $115 to $140.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's kind of a misconception that the A2 is only 50 lumens on high... Various tests show it's actually closer to 80 and the regulation makes it brighter than most incan 2 cell lights rated higher than its output within a couple minutes worth of voltage sag.
With a strion upgrade, it's indistinguishable from a P61 on fresh cells to my eyeballs.
Trust me, it's a bright, well made and incredibly useful light.

With the recent SW discount going on, you can grab the latest revision of the A2 for around 115 bucks give or take making it one of the best values I've seen in a long long time.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, and I think this bears repeating, 50 lumens is a very, very conservative number for the A2's output. Independent testing places it between 70 and 80 lumens. Even then, the light is versatile enough that sheer output doesn't matter as much as other lights.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Figure out if you are a rechargeable kind of guy or not. I am. I use my flashlights all day and all night and never think about what I'm spending on batteries. I use them to check the kids in the middle of the night. I use them to take the trash to the curb on garbage night. I shower by flashlight in the morning before the sun comes up. I look under the sofa and the beds for lost shoes/toys/whatever. I shine them around on the walls during the day for giggles.

The Pila looks like it was made for rechargeable Pila cells. If my wife was going to buy me $200 worth of flashlight, I'd be looking real hard at that.

The A2 is awkward to run on rechargeables. A single 14670 doesn't really run the halogen lamp properly (if at all). Some have had success using a pair of RCR123A cells, but there is a risk to the LED ring. Runtime is abysmally short, too.

I'd be all over the A2 if there were a decent rechargeable solution for it.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was writing a long winded reply, but for whatever reason I hit backspace and everything disappeared.:sick2:

Anyone remember that song by INXS?:party:

In any case, if you want regulated light go for the A2. If you want a bright, rechargeable option, go for the Pila or WE. I personally favor the Pila.:naughty: Even though I own an A2 and Pila, I agree with what Ty_Bower had to say.

Dudemar

Last edited:

Well-Lit

Newly Enlightened
Just a few other comments on the A2: It's really like having two different flashlights in one body. You have the LED's which give a nice flood for closeup work. Then you have the incan beam which is white. The incan beam will last you for approximaetly 45 to 50 minutes (+/-) with no yellowing or dimming. Once the batteries are exhausted from running the incan beam, theres still enough power to run the LED's for serveral more hours. It won't leave you in the dark!..

Best Regards:
Bob

Well-Lit

Newly Enlightened
Once you buy an A2 you should order a five mega strion globe socket unit for it. you will have an even brighter light with the great reliability of a Surefire.
Yaesumofo

What yaesumofo said it true, I have a strion/socket and it's really a great upgrade for the incan beam. Also, just to make things even better, Lumens Factory is currently working on their own A2 incan bulb! It just keeps getting better!

Best Regards:
Bob

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's what I have to say on the subject of the SF A2:

The SF A2

But there are a LOT of good lights out there, and the A2 isn't right for everyone. But it is right for some people, myself being one of them. With any luck, my SF A2 thread may help you make your decision.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was writing a long winded reply, but for whatever reason I hit backspace and everything disappeared.:sick2:

Anyone remember that song by INXS?:party:
I know! What's with the CPF software? On other forums I can always hit "back" and restore what I was typing. I typically write my postings in Textpad (or notepad) first, then paste it in the CPF editor... I've had one too many of those disappearing messages.

Oh and yes, that's one of my favorite INXS songs. ;)

Surefire A2 is a great choice. And so is the Pila GL-2 rechargeable. And the Wolfeyes 6! Each of these have their own particular unique attributes. How do you intend to use the light? $200 is a very nice budget. How about a Surefire U2? You can get one for under $200 if you can get to a Sportsman's Warehouse store. Or wait for a bit on the marketplace, as they tend to go around $200 in excellent condition.

z282z06

Newly Enlightened
I just got my A2 back from surefire. I like it, but for the size I think I like the L2 more than the A2. I am on the bubble about the A2 still. Its an old slab sider (4side) but I can't seem to part with it. It's a good light but it just doesnt have enough giddyup (high output)for me. I'm used to carrying the L4 now, and I just bought some 110 lumen bulbs for the e2e, but it does not have the 2 stage capability. I'm usually using my light in dark nasty basements when i take it out. I always have my little keychain light for close up work.

I'll have to see how the lumens factory bulb shines.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's what I have to say on the subject of the SF A2:

The SF A2

But there are a LOT of good lights out there, and the A2 isn't right for everyone. But it is right for some people, myself being one of them. With any luck, my SF A2 thread may help you make your decision.

Thanks JS. I always considered my E2e one of the most perfect Incand lights. Not right for everyone but considering size, beam quality, output, I always considered it a beautiful thing (never seeing an A2). Your comparison of the A2 vs the E2e and review of the A2 left me wanting more from my E2e.

Bill

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for the Fivemega bulb/socket upgrade!!!!!

I just got my Fivemega kit less than a week ago and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!

Best Upgrade for the A2!!

da.gee

Enlightened
I'm really enjoying my new A2 Y/G. I would say get it. It will grow on you. I also have the Strion mod coming which is getting some good reviews and Lumens Factory is coming out with a new bulb for it as well. If the LF bulb is anything like the one I just received for my E2 it will take care of any concerns about brightness.

Also, if you do happen to delete your text try using Ctrl-Z (Apple-Z for Macs) immediately. It can save you.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you plan on carrying it in your front pants pocket everyday get the L1 Cree. It's kinda of a "mini LED A2" in a smaller form factor.

Zenster

Enlightened
Devil's Advocate here...

One should look at ones actual need for a light like the A2, and perhaps the incan part of it may not be that important (to some).

But if you "need" incan, and you want options for a long running light with a nice bright high and a long running low, how about this; spend not much over $50 for an original 6P (there's your 65 incan lumens against the 50 lumen A2), and then get a Surefire L1 for a 65 lumen LED light plus it's 10 lumen, 16 hour runtime.

For near the same money as the A2 would cost, you get two great Surefire lights that, between them, are at least as capable and then some over the A2.

I say this only because decisions shouldn't be too easy... :devil:

Latest posts