SureFire Newbie

SureAddicted

Enlightened
I've made the Plunge and bought my first Surefire 3 weeks ago, a 9P. I have got to say "wow". As a newbie I was just left speachless the first time I used it.

I basically wanted as much output i could get in a flashlight, thats why i went the 9P, without spending an arm and a leg. Im just waiting to get the P91 to see what this thing can really do. Im also picking up a E2D next week to use for EDC

As you can see I am already addicted lol...Ive been surfing the forums for a few weeks now and I have aquired a lot of helpful info...although some things arent as clear.

I was pleased when i saw 2 o-rings when i unscrewed the tail cap, the ergonomics are spot on, the feel, balance and quality is second to none. I will eventually make the move over to LED, just not right now. Ill go with the second or third generation LED's when they are producing 150-200 lumens.

My new hobby is going to be an expensive one...lol.

Steve

Lightguy27

Enlightened
:welcome: I was pretty impressed with my fist SF which was the L1 I bought last February. Fast foward to know and I own the L1, L4, A2, U2, 2 G2's and a G3. I am aslo picking up an E2D tomorrow. Hang onto your wallet because the SF road is an expensive one.

-Evan

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Thanks Evan...I know exactly where your coming from in regards to the road to SureFire.
I do get them for a discounted price which doesnt help matters :broke:

Like you, I cant wait to pick up my E2D either, with a E2D, P61 and a 6PD bezel for the times when i need a little bit more throw .
Then again, I dont mind paying for quality.

Steve

justmyluck

Newly Enlightened
Steve,

I may be mis-understanding you, so please correct me if I'm wrong...also, I'm no Surefire expert (I just bought my first Surefire, a 6P), though if I'm not correct I'm the real Surefire experts will chime in.

You mention an E2D, P61, and a 6PD bezel in the same sentence.

I don't believe that an E2D will take a P61...I believe it uses another lamp assembly type all together.

Part I'm not sure of, any maybe you've researched (it would be news to me) is whether or not a 6P (or in your example a 6PD) head would fit on an E2D body. I'm not sure it will...I'm just not sure.

Anyways, enjoy the ride! Love my new 6P and have already picked up a detonator cell extender for it, so I sorta have a psuedo 9P now, at least once I get some 9v lamp assemblies.

Eric

USM0083

Enlightened
Steve,
Anyways, enjoy the ride! Love my new 6P and have already picked up a detonator cell extender for it, so I sorta have a psuedo 9P now, at least once I get some 9v lamp assemblies.

Eric

I'm running with a HO-9.

DSC02970.jpg

justmyluck

Newly Enlightened
Steve,

Interesting stuff. Now that you show a picture, I think I have seen something like that here on CPF a while back. Good luck with that if you go that route!

USM0083,

Just saw that picture of your surefire lego in another thread...nice setup. I've been running all my CR123 lights with primaries so far since I get free leftover batteries from work (long story)...talk about guild free lumens! :naughty: But that 2x17500 setup looks pretty nice...may need to look into rechargebles in the future.

Eric

jugg2

Enlightened
Lol, to be new, you sure know your stuff! I love my E2E, you should check out some Lumens Factory lamps for it. The 150 lumen bulb on 2 RCR123s kicks @$$!

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Lol, to be new, you sure know your stuff! I love my E2E, you should check out some lumens Factory lamps for it. The 150 lumen bulb on 2 RCR123s kicks @$$!

jugg2, lol..I just did a lot of research, mainly here on CPF. I do like to arm myself with as much knowledge as I can before making purchases. I researched for about 3-4 weeks them made my first SF purchase. I basically didn't want to rush and regret my purchase later on down the track.

As a result, I'm over the moon, and the 9P will be with me for life. Cant say the same thing if i bought a G2.

The LF bulbs are definitely and option. Will go that route in the near future.

Steve

Last edited:

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Just got home from Basspro with my brand new E2D. I have a freind who works there and he likes flashlights too so we basically stood there for 20mins. playing with the entire SF display case which held a 6P,4 G2's,a U2, L4, L1, E2E, E2D, E2O, E1E, C3, C2, M3, M3T, M4, M6, M2, Z2, E2l, E1l. It was pretty cool to say the least. I almost got an M3 too but it was bigger than I thought it would be and in a bright store with probably dead batts it was'nt impressive either. But man this E2D kicks a**! I did'nt realize that the crennallations were that long. I will eventually get a LF bulb for it but I want to play a little first. And if you want, I'll post my thoughts later when it's dark.

-Evan

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Evan, would be great to hear what you think of it when its dark. The SF retailer I see is the same. I was in there for about an hr just playing and testing all the different SF flashlights. Ill be picking my E2D up in a wk or less, looking forward to it.

P.S Is the window domed or flat?

Steve

Last edited:

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Great way to start off this hobby.

:welcome:

P.S. LEDs can already produce over 200 lumen.

I've read about them drop-in LED modules, the Malkoff seems the way to go. Going that route I would need to use the E2C and C series bezel...I'd rather use a LF as I can keep the E2D stock for EDC which is the main reason in purchasing it. Its another option though.

Steve

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You can use the Malkoffdevices with a 9P. As long as you don't use 3 RCR123 batteries(2 17500 batteries would work too).

There are also some drop-ins that can handle up to 18v.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
You can use the Malkoffdevices with a 9P. As long as you don't use 3 RCR123 batteries(2 17500 batteries would work too).

There are also some drop-ins that can handle up to 18v.

Thats a definite with the 9P. I do like the idea of "Guilt free Lumens". Im assuming the Malkoff is much brighter than the P90. I do have the P91 but its not ideal to use with the 17500's. Either way I need to pick up some 17500's as well as the Malkoff dropin.

Steve

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Evan, would be great to hear what you think of it when its dark. The SF retailer I see is the same. I was in there for about an hr just playing and testing all the different SF flashlights. Ill be picking my E2D up in a wk or less, looking forward to it.

P.S Is the window domed or flat?

Steve

Flat. And according to SF thicker than standard for extra strength. Oh, the light is pretty bright. Decent throw, decent side spill and perfect for say walking the dog. Im making a new thread about an "extra carricular" event I had with my E2D while out on the quads. It'll be in Incan Flashlights.

-Evan