R2 Vs. Q5. What are the benefits of the R2, if any?

cruzmisl

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have any thoughts? I was thinking of getting a Deerelight R2 pill.
Thanks,
J.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Increase is marginal to human perception. Save you cash.

P4 to R2 would be worthwhile. Q5 to R2 is not IMO

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Increase is marginal to human perception. Save you cash.

P4 to R2 would be worthwhile. Q5 to R2 is not IMO

That's what I've been telling everyone who asks me to upgrade their LED's :D The Cree bins are less than 10% apart so we're talking at least several letters before the eyes can tell. From the current crop of Q's, I'm waiting for S bin's.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
A better reason to try a Dereelight R2 pill is to try a Cree WH bin, to see if you like the warmer tint.

I have some R2 pills coming so I'll report on them when I see what they do.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I am more interested in Cree reducing the vf of their LED's than the next brighter LED. How about a nice H (Luxeon nomenclature) vf for the Q5.

Bill

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
could the R2 has lower vF compared to typical Q5?

This is what Alan of Dereelight reported about the R2 WH's he got:

"R2 seems to have relatively higher Vf, but significantly bright. Vf might be over 3.7V at 1.0A.Efficiency is only 3% better than best Q5(WG) and 5% better than average Q5. But 9% brighter than best Q5(WG) and 11-12% brighter than Q5 average."

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what Alan of Dereelight reported about the R2 WH's he got:

"R2 seems to have relatively higher Vf, but significantly bright. Vf might be over 3.7V at 1.0A.Efficiency is only 3% better than best Q5(WG) and 5% better than average Q5. But 9% brighter than best Q5(WG) and 11-12% brighter than Q5 average."

i hoped that R2 will have lower vF.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have any thoughts? I was thinking of getting a Deerelight R2 pill.
Thanks,
J.

Having the latest and greatest LED creates a feeling of satisfaction, until the next wave of improved LEDs come along. :)

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about a P4 to Q5? Should I make the swap? I use it to flash at night to see if any kids are messing with my families car. But it's a bit blurry about 50-100 ft. Is it worth the swap?

-E

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about a P4 to Q5? Should I make the swap? I use it to flash at night to see if any kids are messing with my families car. But it's a bit blurry about 50-100 ft. Is it worth the swap?

-E

Depends on what light you're making the swap in. What light are you thinking about upgrading?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

-E

That is a big jump and well worth it. Cree P4 to Q5. Seoul P4 to Cree Q5 is not much of a jump, if any.

Bill

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a big jump and well worth it. Cree P4 to Q5. Seoul P4 to Cree Q5 is not much of a jump, if any.

Bill

Oh sorry, I meant should I swap from a ultrafire Cree P4 to the ultrafire Q5. I didn't mean to swap to a Malkoff or BOG Q5. I know they are helluva bright but I don't have much money to spend on Malkoff or BOG. Do you think it still a good swap? Sorry for not making it clear in the first place... I tense to do that alot.

-E

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on what light you're making the swap in. What light are you thinking about upgrading?

Ultrafire C-1 alpha.. https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2672

Or maybe in my Surefire G2L

The Alpha is using 18650 and the Surefire is using 17670 at the moment.

Do you think swaping a P4 or P60L to a Q5 running on 17670/18650 would not show much results?

Please remember I am talking about the "china" Q5 not the wolfeye, malkoff, or BOG.

Thank you.

-E

silver931

Newly Enlightened
Q5 Vs R2 News!

Solarforce Mfy. told me that CREE R2 - 5 Mode Bulb highly recommand don't use 3.7v x 3 case. It soon detected the faulty valve.
It is because Control Unit Run On under 9.0 voltage.:cool:

For my testing ref.:poke:
Q5vR2.jpg

News::wave::wave::wave:
-Solarforce R2 CREE 5 mode Light Bulb with Reflector
-Before 2008 Mar 10 - Not include Memory
-After 2008 Mar 15 - Include Memory (save last mode select)

other bulbs link:
http://www.silver931.com/showroom.cfm?tid=4&gid=31&curr_code=USD&Show_Type=W

Last edited:

bspofford

Enlightened
DereeLight may be the only source in China that I would trust to provide real R2 emitters. Rumor has it that many "generic" R2 modules manufactured in China are actually overdriven Q5 emitters. Some have questioned whether or not there is any objective difference between R2 and Q5 modules in terms of brightness or runtimes, and this is consistent with the rumors. Too bad you can't just look at the emitter and know what you have.

cchurchi

Enlightened
When I went from Q2 to Q5 in my Storm, I noticed the difference. Of course, the light has 3 of them. If I'm lucky, I'll be getting the "low vf" R2 modules from Mike at PTS for my Storm and I'll report how they are. The Storm is already freakishly bright with Q5....

generic808

Enlightened
My Solarforce Q5 is actually noticeably brighter than my DX R2, with both running off 8.4V. I also noticed that the Q5 is warmer than the blueish R2, of course, I may just have gotten a bad bin R2 :shrug:

Latest posts