check my edc thinking-l2d q5?

lewdog

Newly Enlightened
My current edc is the first gen l2p or whatever Fenix's first 2xaa light was called. Served me well. It's time to upgrade. My eyes are crossing from all the reading I've done here.

Short version (read only this if you're in a hurry, then skip to the bottom):
Here are the things I value: flat regulation, standard battery format (aa,aaa,c,d-up to two or three of any is fine), good quality, several modes so I can choose long runtime or higher output, and some serious brightness.

Extra comments:
Price kind of matters--I'm totally fine with the $57 or whatever the l2d q5 would come out to with the cpf discount. I'd be interested in hearing about any option, though, even if way more expensive. I'd spend up to $200 if it were really cool. I presume that the 2xaa format, given the current population of lights, is the one that will give me the best combination of what I'm looking for. The size of the flashlight doesn't matter-I use a Maxpedition Fatboy for my daily carry and this will ride inside that (as the l2whatever has for years). I would even be fine with up to a 2d light if it matched the criteria above. I just don't think that anything I've heard of at the 2d/2c level has good regulation circuitry or other things I've mentioned. I don't want to do any cr123 or whatever non-standard battery. I just want to use a battery that's easy to buy in any gas station across the world if I need to. And yes, I'll definitely be using rechargeables. The one thing that's a bummer to me about the l2d q5 is its looks--it just looks kind of pansy. I love the looks of lights such as Novatac, HDS, and Nitecore, but I worry about all of the reliability/glitchiness concerns of Nitecore and don't like the battery format associated with the first two. I really would like a light that looks more rugged/tactical and would probably pay for this. It all gets down to functionality, though, and I have so far concluded that the Fenix seems to be the winner.

Anyhow--I guess I'm just asking for help in checking my thinking as I put a lot of importance on my edc gear. In getting the l2d q5, am I making the best choice given the things I value?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Yes, the L2D-CE Q5 should be a great upgrade. The modes are also pretty easy to use from what I've heard if you were wondering.

Regulation is great on rechargeable batteries(even on alkalines it's pretty good).

They seem to strike a good balance between performance and price.

You can also mod your L2P with a Seoul LED.

:welcome: