Regulated LED flashlights

IndependentNode

Newly Enlightened
The flashlight in my vehicle and any emergency kits have to 'live' in a cold environment with the chances of -20dF very likely during the after-sunset hours (for at least 5 months of the year). This necessitates the use of lithium batteries if the flashlight is to function immediately when called upon. More particularly, the AA lithiums batteries by Eveready.

This forum and several other websites have been very helpful in trying out the many LED flashlights that have hit the market. However, the ability of the light to use lithium batteries w/o detrimental effects is seldom mentioned. Is it safe to say that if the flashlight has a regulation circiut all is well?

[I searched many pages into the forum and failed to find similar discussion. Please forgive me if I am beating a dead horse and kindly point me the correct direction.]

TIA

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i will admit that i cannot address your question directly.

i think some of the regulated lights work best with batteries that dont go over theit rated voltage. for example, i believe that the badboys run best on 3v, yet 2 lithium aa's may drive at 3.5 volts. i have measured 1.75v/cell. i think another issue is that lithiums may supply too much current, and hurt the light...one of the more knowledgeable folks will correct me if im wrong.

i know that my palights are ok with 9v lithiums, and you can run the opalec on lithiums. the eternalights (the new elitemax is regulated) are ok with lithiums. my CMG infinity ultra has a lithium battery (not really regulated).

well, i would ask the manufacturers if lithiums are ok.

i have the same problem. it has been a darn cold winter around here. typically, my old minimag in the car would have the batteries die in 6 months--from heat or cold. heck, i would have maybe 15 minutes on them!

currently, i have a tec-40 with Li in my car. when i get my inretech back, it will have lithiums and also reside in the car.

Bob

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can confirm that the Arc-LS series will function quite well with the L91 1.7v Lithium AAs. These fit in the TSP-2AA pack available as an accessory. Run time is extended to over 3 hours with these cells. Since regulation makes the light equally bright among the different battery chemistries, I recommend NiMHs for the best value.

Peter Gransee

franken2

Newly Enlightened
that makes perfect sense to me. i dont see the point in running lithiums in my arcls,bb400, or opalec. my inretech on lithium's is a light i know will run long and bright enough on lithium's to justify their higher cost.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have noticed from experience and Roy's runtime graphs, that the Arc LS runtimes are identical for one CR123A and 2AA Alkalines. With 2AA lithiums, The runtime is doubled, plus brighter due to higher starting voltage.

My Arc LS has the Rev1 circuit, which gives me 3.5 hours of bright light from one CR123A and 7 hours bright light from a pair of Lithium AAs. The rev2 circuit reduces these runtimes to about 2.5 and 5 hours respectively, and this is the one in use in current production.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I know there was a thread on Lithium AA's. But I have to ask with Lith AA's @ $2 and CR123's @ $1.25 doesn't it make sense to use 123's? Now I only have 1 123 light, a scorpion. So I am no expert. I also am aware that AA lights are far more common but if this is a dedicated "cold" light I might suggest a 123 over a AA using light.
Or a $10 9v lithium light like the Pak Light or a Palight.
Forgive if you are strictly looking for regulated lights only, I got the impression you are looking for cold lights.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Everled product. Supposed to handle input voltages of 1.5 to 9.0 volts. That would give you a fair selection of 2AA and 4AA lights to choose from.

IndependentNode

Newly Enlightened
You are correct..I am looking for a 'cold' light. I would be interested in a CR123 battery powered light. It just seems like, up until recently, the choices have been more limited.

An observation: the choices of CR123 sized flashlights/torches appeared to be greater before the advent of Eveready's AA lithium. Of course at that time, we were talking incandescent.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Inova X5t may be suitable. It uses 2 123 cells. I have the original Inova X5 (without the t) in my vehicles. Unfortunately they stopped making those.