Surviorman/Man vs Wild?

jpfaff

Newly Enlightened
Anybody watch Survivorman on Discovery??

This show is pretty awesome.. It's like Survivior Palau on crack. It's on Thursday night on Discovery channel @ 9 p.m.. Its basically about a guy who is dropped off in different locations for 7 days. All he has is what is given to him. He always has a multi-tool, firestarter and whatever food they allow him. Now mind you the food would only last a normal man one Lunch. He's also kindof a Macgyver in that whatever happens to be lying around he turns into all kinds of stuff. Last night he was in the mountains in Utah and the other episode was in the Canadian Artic.Another note, he is the only person there, he does his own filming carrying multiple cameras with him..

Piripi

Newly Enlightened
Re: Anybody watch Survivorman on Discovery??

I will need to check that out, sounds right up my alley.

jtice

Flashaholic

I have seen that show, its not bad really, he has some good points.

Doing his own camera work must make that 100 times harder.

Every time you see him tuck into bed, and say good night,
he has to get back up, and grab that camera !

He has had nice scences where he walks off into the distance,
well, he has to walk BACK, and grab that camera. LOL
that would drive me crazy.

I like the first show, where he was supposed to be stranded after a plane crash.
He tied up his arm, acting like it was broke from the crash,
that lasted a few hours, then he said, the heck with this, I am using my arm. LOL

~John

pathalogical

Enlightened

I've seen that show a few times. Didn't know he was allowed food, he usually cooks bugs and snails. I think he has a satellite phone for real emergecies. The one in the Arctic, they gave him a rifle but not for hunting but for protection against polar bears. The one in Ontario's Algonquin Park, he literally came face to face with a moose ! He freaked when he saw it in the bushes.

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened

I like it, but from what I heard all the episodes are one hour long and the Discovery channel hacks them into half hour shows. Supposedly the full hour long episodes can be found on some other cable network, I can't remember which one now.

mosport

Enlightened

What a great show, it's carried on OLN - Outdoor Life Network here at odd hours.

Here's the Survivorman website for those who haven't seen the show, my favorite episodes are the mountain and arctic environments.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can never seem to time it right.. I will try harder.. It looks and sounds very cool.

flashlite

Enlightened

Seems like The Discovery Channel has been in the survivor mode lately, and I like it. There are a number of new survivor type shows on now. I believe a new series of the real-life survivor stories starts tonight.

I'm really growing tired of the chopper shows. I hope these take their place.

Topper

Flashaholic*

I have seen it a couple times. I thought it was worth watching and still do.
I just "happened upon it" both times; now I will watch for it.
Topper :)

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast

If anybody gets the Science channel, the hour long "Canyonlands" episode is on tonight at 10 EST.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the show, he shows a lot of decent survival skills, bigtime firestarting skills. The only time I have seen him allowed food was the one in the Canadian artic where he was required, by the Canadian authorities, to take a rifle and some food, he was given a slab ofd seal meat.

He shows rather well how mental survival is, and how to use your wits to improvise.

Sixpointone

Enlightened

I might try and catch an episode of this show. It sounds interesting.

By chance has anyone seen if the guy in the show carries a Flashlight with him? And if so, any idea what kind it might be?

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast

He has not had a flashlight or headlamp yet in any I have seen. The only thing he has had regularily is a UPT, Universal Pocket Tool, he has carried in each episode so far I have seen.

London

Newly Enlightened

it's a great show. BUT does he really start all his fires using primitive methods? IE friction methods? it appeared so on the only episode I saw but that is such a difficult skill for even the most experienced folk.

L.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast

He has used various methods, one time he had one match if memory serves and he used it. The time in the arctic he used his rifle to start a fire with reduced powder "blank" cartridges. I believe I remember him using steel wool and batteries from something one time but that may well have been a different show. But yes, he does not carry a dedicated lighter, matches or spark lighter. Oh well wait, one time he had a maganeisum strip now that I think of it. So it varies but usually some primitive method is used, which is good because it is a sort of information show and it shows people the correct primitive method.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those over hyped survivor contest game shows don't interest me a bit, but I appreciate what Les Stroud can accomplish on Survivorman.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast

Survivorman seems to be purely for entertainment purposes. Because of the format of the show, he isn't attempting to get rescued, which could give a lot of folks the wrong idea about where to direct one's energies while in such a situation. IMO, equippedtosurvive.org is a much better resource for survival situations.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast

leukos said:
Survivorman seems to be purely for entertainment purposes. Because of the format of the show, he isn't attempting to get rescued, which could give a lot of folks the wrong idea about where to direct one's energies while in such a situation. IMO, equippedtosurvive.org is a much better resource for survival situations.
That's true for the first six days, but when day 7 hits it's a signal fire or trying to find the way out.