Ivus Lightning-180

Greenlead

Newly Enlightened
This flashlight was mentioned in Police magazine this month.

It uses ultra-capacitors, and has a runtime of 110 minutes between two minute charges. It is advertised to give off 200 lumens of output.

Company website: http://www.ivusinc.com/lightning180.htm

(A quick Google search of this forum did not turn up any results for "lightning-180", so I hope that this is not a dupe.)

Greenlead

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

L.E.D.

Enlightened
!!!

This may be light I have been waiting for.

Hopefully there is a circuit or other method of making the output curve flat. Shake up lights with capacitors have a curve even worse than alkaline direct drive...

L.E.D.

Enlightened
After reading up more, it looks like it just may be regulated, especially considering all the circuitry it ALREADY has. Looks like you'll get 25 minutes in "High mode" which is probably 200 lumens, after a two-minute charge. If that 25 minutes is a flat output then it would be nice. Also mentioned is an additional 20 minute "power save" mode. That sounds to me like the regulator kicking down to moon mode.. hopefully.

I'm guessing the 90 minute "standard beam" should be around 50 - 60 lumens.

Last edited:

Greenlead

Newly Enlightened
After reading up more, it looks like it just may be regulated, especially considering all the circuitry it ALREADY has. Looks like you'll get 25 minutes in "High mode" which is probably 200 lumens, after a two-minute charge. If that 25 minutes is a flat output then it would be nice. Also mentioned is an additional 20 minute "power save" mode. That sounds to me like the regulator kicking down to moon mode.. hopefully.

I'm guessing the 90 minute "standard beam" should be around 50 - 60 lumens.
It is microprocessor-controlled, so I would assume it probably is capable of flattening the output.

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
Ultracapacitors do look promising. I read recently about Eestor supercapacitors. It has seemingly fallen through, but I'm not sure why if it is such promising technology for powering things. Obviously a car is much more difficult to power than a flashlight, so maybe this is just good for smaller applications. I do not know the specifics of how it works, but it seems pretty damn cool! If they could just UP the run-time a tad I think I'de buy one...not that I really need another flashlight or anything.