Rebel RB100 - WOW!

10mmWiseman

Newly Enlightened
I have had my Fenix P3D with a Q5 for about 6 weeks and I was very impressed, impressed enough I decided to pick up another but this time opting for a Rebel RB100 version and I am beyond impressed. While the Q5 is ever so slightly brighter the more natural color tint and perfect beam (sans ringy like the Q5) more than makes up for it.

Too bad it looks like the RB100 won't be around much longer, everybody is going Q5 crazy.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bad it looks like the RB100 won't be around much longer, everybody is going Q5 crazy.

The popularity of the Q5 has nothing to do with RB100's not being around. Lumileds wasn't able to produce enough RB100's to meet the demands of certain manufacturers like Fenix. However, if enough RB100's become available, we may see them again. I think I heard Fenix may have more Rebel equipped models on the way.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Just be patient.

Takes several months to scrub the old epoxy outta' the machines.

:whistle:
_

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had my Fenix P3D with a Q5 for about 6 weeks and I was very impressed, impressed enough I decided to pick up another but this time opting for a Rebel RB100 version and I am beyond impressed. While the Q5 is ever so slightly brighter the more natural color tint and perfect beam (sans ringy like the Q5) more than makes up for it.

I agree about the Rebel 100. Even if the Q5 is a tiny bit brighter, it's likely shifted more to blue, which makes it less useful in the real world. I hope Lumileds gets this recall thing sorted out soon and is able to make a bunch more of these. I've really not been a fan of the Cree's I've seen so far.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Rebel RB100 in Fenix flashlights do give a smoother beam with far less artifacts than any Cree.

And although the tint often is warmer/nicer this is not really guaranteed.

Anyway there are direct comparison beamshots between the Q5 Cree and RB100 in P3D models in this review -

Fenix P3Dce-Q5 Premium Comparison Review

Other RB100 comparison reviews -

Fenix P3D-RB100 Rebel Comparison Review

and

Fenix L2D-RB100 Comparison Review

Notice in both the above P3D reviews - I compared them with RB80's in the Fenix L0D-RB80 (2 different ones) and the tints of the RB80's were both kind of blue'ish.

This was also the case of the RB80 in the Fenix L2T v2 used for comparison in the L2D-RB100 review above .......

Fenix L0D-RB80 Comparison Review

Confederate

Enlightened
These are great reviews.

Regarding tint, as a photographer, I realize many people like the warmer tones over the cooler ones. But I've always liked the cooler tones over the warmer for some reason. Even back in the old National Geographic days, I always liked the Ektachrome photos more than the Kodachrome. It might just be preference or I could be lacking in my ability to see certain colors correctly, but when I use Photoshop, I always have to watch myself or I'll go a tad far into the cool zone.

I also tend to like overcast days more than sunny days.

Anyway, I'll take the Cree Q5, thank you.

Bernhard

Newly Enlightened
I prefer the color around 5600K - 6300K, cool white. It really emphasize that the flashlight that you have are actually LED flashlight, and not oldies Xenon or Halogen...
Regarding rebel have warmer tint, this is not entirely accurate. They are subject to color binning as well, I believe. So not all rebel are producing warmer color compared to Cree, and not All Cree are producing blueish color.

Last edited: