Advice on mod for 2D Mag to make throw monster

ConfederateScott

Enlightened
I ordered a custom color (olive drab green) 2D Maglite last year just because I liked the color. I put one of those Wal-Mart LED thingys ($13) in it that replaces the bulb but it's still crap. It's been hanging on the wall collecting dust ever since. Now I've decided to try to have it upgraded for real. I think the focusing reflector system on Maglites is the biggest piece of junk ever designed so I want all of that gone. I'd like to have the whole reflector replaced with a fixed reflector that doesn't twist and really good LED. I want it for throw not spill. Does anyone perform such magic? If so how expensive? Also, sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Last edited:

jugg2

Enlightened
Re: Advice on mod for 3D Mag to make throw monster

You can make it a Mag85. The amount of light they put out is amazing, and it will throw much farther than a stock Maglite.

BTW, is your avatar Carl from Slingblade?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast

You could procure an aspheric lens and a Cree on a heatsink. Search 'aspheric mag' in the search at the top of the page. Alternatively, you could mount an SSC on a LITEmania heatsink and run it at an amp with the stock reflector and that will also throw like a mofo and won't stick out past the aluminum bezel of the Mag. There's a thread somewhere that shows an aspheric mag outthrowing a Mag85. The thread has a comparison of various throw lights, including a Maxabeam and a modified Coleman spotlight.

ConfederateScott

Enlightened

Yeah thats Carl, we kind of look alike I've been told. I'm not as mechanically inclined as Carl though. I wish I could find somone I could send the light to and get it modded. If I try to do it myself it's going to look like a bulls a$$ sewn up with a grape vine and would probably be dimmer than stock. Also I realized it's a 2D not a 3D.

Last edited:

jugg2

Enlightened
Since it's a 2D then you could go with a ROP mod. I just built mine, and it is pretty bright. Very simple to build too!

jugg2

Enlightened
BTW, I have a few Kai reflectors on the way. The are supposed to be cam or camless. I will try them camless and let you know how good they are. That would do away with the whole focusing system that you said you don't want.:thumbsup:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
someone modified a MAG with this huge reflector off a X million candlepower spotlight, it has massive throw. He called it the MAG PLunger, but i cant find it, honestly, the search system is seriously flawed

Crenshaw

jugg2

Enlightened
someone modified a MAG with this huge reflector off a X million candlepower spotlight, it has massive throw. He called it the MAG PLunger, but i cant find it, honestly, the search system is seriously flawed

Crenshaw

"Mag Plunger" LOL, thats funny! I bet it does have awsome throw though.

EDIT: I found it!

Last edited:

PhotonAddict

Enlightened
+1 on LukeA's suggestion. If you're looking for an LED mod, an SSC led with the stock Mag reflector makes for good throw - well almost stock, you just have to trim the cam off the reflector. If you drive it at ~750mA you will still get good throw with better runtime IMHO.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on LukeA's suggestion. If you're looking for an LED mod, an SSC led with the stock Mag reflector makes for good throw - well almost stock, you just have to trim the cam off the reflector. If you drive it at ~750mA you will still get good throw with better runtime IMHO.

I actually built a pair of SSC mags that each run at 500mA. They'll throw about 300-400 feet, and last about 6 hours regulated, followed by 2-3 of dimming from 2 alkaline C cells.

ptirmal

Enlightened
decide whether you want an incandescent mod or a led mod... then we can go from there...

Marduke

Flashaholic
Sounds like you got the cheap NiteIze PR dropin, which is not meant for output, but rather lots of runtime.

Simple suggestion, how about just the 2-3 cell TerraLux SSC dropin and leave everything else the way it is? Relatively cheap, very simple, and more light that I think you would expect.

You can still do the aspheric stuff later if you want.

Last edited: