My MTE SSC P4 A42180 now flickers

NickBose

Enlightened
I've had this for few months, used it constantly every night.

I was very happy with its output. But now it got severe flickering.

Is there anyway to fix that?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The two things I can think of is to clean the contacts and tighten all the things that can be tightened.

paulr

Flashaholic
The switches in those things flake out. There are some old threads about various kludgy repairs.

patrickbateman

Newly Enlightened
This advice saves my bjc from kaidomain:

"Upon looking more closely at the pictures online, you probably need the paperclip fix on the tailcap, as the head is not a printed circuit board. Or tighten the switch inside the tailcap.

12.jpg

See the two indentions in the shiny part of the aluminum on either side of the spring? those are spots you can grip with plyers and tighten the switch into the tailcap more, or place a round paperclip around the outside over this shiny area."

thank you Marduke. :)

paulr

Flashaholic
On mine, I pretty much established that the problem is in the switch itself, and I haven't figured out a way to remove the switch without special tools that I don't have.

kilgor

Enlightened
On mine, I pretty much established that the problem is in the switch itself, and I haven't figured out a way to remove the switch without special tools that I don't have.

Try needle nosed pliers inserted into the holes and turned counterclockwise.

Marduke

Flashaholic

Options:
2 nails and a pair of pliers to hold them in the holes

needle nose pliers

the probes from a DMM (if the ring is not too tight)

large paperclip bent into the right shape (again, if ring is not too tight)

split ring pliers

JCup

Newly Enlightened
I receive three of these, very nice. One of them has a persistent flicker, and I believe it's the switch.

I can get it apart no problem. Anyone know where to get a replacement switch to solder right in?

Marduke

Flashaholic
I receive three of these, very nice. One of them has a persistent flicker, and I believe it's the switch.

I can get it apart no problem. Anyone know where to get a replacement switch to solder right in?

The flicker kinda means that it's not the switch itself, but rather a contact somewhere. Either they all need cleaned, or oxide needs to be removed, or something needs tightened, or you need a paperclip/washer fix.