EDC'ing Larger Lights?

jufam44

Enlightened
Hello All,

I was just wondering if I'm alone in EDC'ing a larger light (for me a surefire U2.) It seems like everyone's going for the smallest lights now-a-days, and the bigger lights are left at home or in a car.

-M

quokked

Enlightened
Surefire L5 for EDC for me, it a Maxpedition Universial Flashlight/Baton Holster, sits well under my shirt.

:D
I've seen some people EDC bigger lights, some put it into their jacket pocketse, bags etc.

jugg2

Enlightened
I EDC a P2D, and my new E2E always. If it is dark, or about to be dark, I put my T-1 on my belt.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Winter makes it easy to edc larger lights. I am looking for a new pocket light, but I just replaced my Fenix T1 with a Tiablo MA6 in my jacket pocket.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I guess my needs are a bit different than that of most folks. Smaller isn't always better. I'll carry something as big as my SF L5 or C2 on a regular basis. The pocket-carry clip is a big help. One of the first lights I used to EDC was a SL TL-2 LED model. I guess I'm used to bigger lights.

The 2xCR123 form factor just seems to fit my hand better than other type of lights. (That could explain why I have so many of them).

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
With winter here and spring fast approaching, jackets have become necessary attire. More the pockets to EDC larger lights with is what I say.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
2x123 used to be the bottom level of flashaholicism, thus the larger EDC size. My first EDC lights were huge by the standards of this board. I used to carry these lights in my right front pocket (not at the same time):

-Inova T3
-Streamlight TL-3/TL-2
-Pentagonlight X2/X3

I never had a problem with it, I really guess it depends on what you wear.

Nowadays I EDC a D-Mini but am not adverse to larger lights. 3x123 is pretty much the limit for me. I've noticed the trend too and just chalk it up to the greater availability of well-made, bright AA, AAA and 1x123 lights.

Remember, it wasn't too long ago that there really weren't any good 1xAA or 2xAA lights since LED was still young and incan shuns alkaline. There used to be dozens of newbie G2 threads every week since it was the entry light. 65 lumens used to be the sun for new members. Then Fenix came along and LEDs grew up and everything changed.

I'm betting the new user now goes with some sort of 1x123 or 1xAA light as opposed to the entry level 2x123 light of yesteryear..

paulr

Flashaholic
A TL2 is fairly easy to EDC but a TL3 is a bit much, mostly because of the large head. Its length is similar to a 2aa minimag which lots of folks edc'd back in the day (maybe still). I think of the U2 and T1 as being in the TL3 class but maybe they're a bit smaller. Weight is also an issue. I never had trouble edc'ing a UK 2L (2x123 incan) which is a tad bigger than an SF E2e, but weighs a lot less because it's made of plastic. The main criterion is whether it's noticable in the pocket, either visibly or in terms of constriction.

Fenix was not anything like the first powerful 1 cell led light on cpf either...

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you guys EDC the bigger lights? Do you use a holster? I use one cell lights because I pocket carry mine and I just couldn't stick a 2 cell light in my pants pocket. If I had larger lights they would probably be left in the car or used in more specialized situations such as outdoor use. I would love to acquire some of the lights mentioned but I have just developed a preference for one cells and my budget requires me to be selective with my light purchases.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
How do you guys EDC the bigger lights? Do you use a holster? I use one cell lights because I pocket carry mine and I just couldn't stick a 2 cell light in my pants pocket....

A well-made pocket clip helps a lot in reducing how heavy a light feels in the pocket.

z282z06

Newly Enlightened
I bought both my A2 and L2 becasue of what they are capable of, but I feel them in my pocket. My e2e's I dont know they are there. I always find my self going to the e2e with my hand to make sure its still there.(that and my knife on the other side)

I have an L4 and I can actually feel the difference in head size. Hopefully I will get used to it as I like the Led reliability. I am carrying a set of batteries in my coin pocket in my jeans now, and have gotten used to the little bump. I just have to remember to take them out before I throw the jeans in the laundry!

bouncer

Enlightened
for a while I was edc-ing an extended G2 using a an14 extender with custom spacer an P90 with G2z bezel. the original homemade G3. I'm thinking now that I'm working security of getting a G3 with pyrex lense with a q5 led

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SureFire 8AX is the biggest light I have used for EDC. I would say an M3 is pocketable, but I wouldn't want to carry it every day.

Regards,
Tempest

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Civictor V1 is the biggest that will fit in my pocket. Otherwise I carry AAA lights.
If I go out at night, I carry my L1T v2 in it's holster on my belt.
I have pouches for my minimag; Electrolumens Lucidus XR-1 & Little Friends but I have not carried them.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
If I put a 2AA or 2x123 light on my belt it hangs up and gives me fits in my trucks bucket seat. Since 1AA lights have gotten SO good that is the size I prefer.

I'm not a tactical sort. The absolute blinding light is not best for EDC. I use my lights at work and decent brightness is enough.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a fenix T1 in my jacket pocket sometimes, but probably won't do that in summer due to lack of pockets.