CLICKIES/TWISTIES/BUTTONS ?

shuter

Enlightened
I recently bought a Multi Level light from Wits End that uses two buttons located near the front of the tube to control light output instead of a clickie or twistie. I find this interface much more convenient to use. Under normal use I would be holding the light about belt level shining the light where needed. If I want more or less light I just push the up or down button with my thumb without moving the light.

A twisty forces me to use the other hand to change light intensity or function. With a clicky I would have to use the other hand to click or turn the light around in my hand, raise the light to about shoulder level and use my thumb to click.

When Cops use a large Mag Light they hold it near the front of the light at shoulder level. Makes sense in their situation. If someone make a hostile move they are in a ready posture to brain them with the light.

Anybody know why the manufacturers of current generation small lights are not using the more convienient thumb button/buttons interface for EDC lights?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Some manufactures do still use buttons on the side of there lights for activation But there are several advantages to a twisty or a tail switch.First generally a twisty is much more reliable as with a tail switch.Also when you try to use the light when its pitch black out you can find the switch much easer when its on the tail.With a side switch you will have to roll the light around in your hand till you find the switch

shuter

Enlightened
Some manufactures do still use buttons on the side of there lights for activation But there are several advantages to a twisty or a tail switch.First generally a twisty is much more reliable as with a tail switch.Also when you try to use the light when its pitch black out you can find the switch much easer when its on the tail.With a side switch you will have to roll the light around in your hand till you find the switch

Being new here, I have been reading and learning which lights the more experienced guys recommend. I have begun my collection based primarily on input from experienced users here. In the last month I have accumulated about a dozen lights. (seems to be addicting) Some are still in the mail. Ultimately, we all have to make the final decision on which we will actually use and which to sell. I am exploring the side button issue with this in mind. The knowlege base on this forum is amazing. Hope more of you will share your expertise about this issue.

With rised button or buttons covered with a rubber blister I find them quite easy to locate. A second or two and the light is on. After that, using the button/buttons to increase/decrease light intensity is quick and convenient. Considering that I can hold and use the light comfortably at belt level and work the switch at the same time it seems to make more sense for general use.

Reliability............... Important for sure. I would have to guess that a twisty is the ultimte. Is this not so? I wonder if a rear clickie (button) is more reliable than a side clickie (button). Why would it be? Can anyone shed more light on this issue?

Reliability aside for the moment. I really like the two button concept for increasing/decreasing light intensity. On this CPF multiLevel the choices for light brightness are infinite, quick and easy. No cycling through preset light levels and strobes.

Anyone know of some quality LED lights that uses a side button interface?

shuter

Enlightened
paulr - Thanks for turning me on to the LRI Proton Pro. I read some threads and review information and ordered one to compare to my other single AA battery lights.

Any other side switch interface lights out there?

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Always nice to see others who apreciate a side switch ( shuter...see my link in my sig ).

In my experience, a well designed side switch light can be very reliable as well as easy to deploy. Good electronic switch has proven to me to be far more reliable than mechanical twist and tail click switches.

shuter

Enlightened
Hi Anglepoise,

Thanks for linking me to your site. You have produced some very nice lites. Works of art and I suspect a labor of love. You provide encouraging information concerning side switches. I wonder what kind of side switches are in the Proton Pro and CPF MultiLevel. Do you know of any high quality mass produced lights that have used side switches over a period of time? It may be possible to evaluate side switch reliability from their time tested experience. I wonder how they compare in terms of water resistance?

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep an eye out for any lights made by a moder called Mr. Bulk.
He made 3 different models and they all had electronic side switches and were waterproof.
They come up for sale from time to time and were well made quality items.

Mostly in Aluminum but also a few in Ti.

Only other manufacturer I know of is Mag with their venerable 'C' and 'D' lights.