How Do You Like Your Everleds?

N162E

Enlightened
Just got mine about half an hour ago and they are "The Bomb" They actually came in a box, not a baggy in an envelope. Once in the box what should to my wondering eyes appear, faceted lucite jewelry cases holding the gems. I ordered and received two white and one teal.

I can not imagine the teal color being any prettier than the color of this led. I've had an old Lumilite K-2AA laying around in a drawer for ther longest time. As luck would have it this light is trimmed out in Teal. My teal lamp has a home.

One of the white Everleds has found its home in a Mag 2-C. Output of the white Everled totally blows away a pr2 and is equal to or better than a mag 3c I have with a halogen lamp in it.

The color of the white Everled is white. No green, no blue and no yellow streaks. Anyone that charges extra for a specially selected "White" Luxeon needs a lesson in how to purchase these lamps.

Reflector performance in the Mag is best when in spot. At wide angle center is very dark. The performance of the teal Everled in the fixed reflector 2AA is nothing short of spectacular. Bright at the center with with very little sidespill.

I had a question about my order initially and then another question later on about my tracking number. In both cases my e-mail inquires were answered within half an hour by Mr. Jim Grafton.

Currently I have the white and teal. As the budget allows I plan on obtaining the other colors. If they come out with a boxed set I plan on being one of the first to have it.

Well guys, thats it for me. I figure right about now a lot of you are getting home and opening packages. You have seen my thoughts, share your's. I don't have any instruments so I am looking forward to upcoming performance and battery life data. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gifEverled/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
Oh, I can't wait. Can you try running the two whites in differnt light and verify it doesn't matter what the voltage is? IE, run one in a 2 cell mag, then a 4 cell mag, and see if it is the same. I am guessing it is.

woodbender

Newly Enlightened
Any opinions on heat issues? I know they say they are thermally protected, but I'm under the opinion an incorporated heatsink would be beneficial.

This link shows a prototype I made with the idea of doing the same with the EverLed.
http://elektrolumens.com/Projects_By_Others/Jeff_Jouett_1.html
The idea being that a heatsink could be placed over a separate pr style design and heat would be dissipated through the heatsink into the flashlight body. I need to get one of these so I can test my theory.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone here ordered the "blue" one?
If so, would that one be more like the regular blue (470nm), or like a Royal Blue-(450nm)?

N162E

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Brock said:
Oh, I can't wait. Can you try running the two whites in differnt light and verify it doesn't matter what the voltage is? IE, run one in a 2 cell mag, then a 4 cell mag, and see if it is the same. I am guessing it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've run them side by side in 2,3 and 4C cell mags and output looks the same. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

snuffy

Enlightened
You guys have just convinced me to spend a few more dollars on this "inexpensive way to keep me out of bars" that I keep telling my wife about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Raven

Enlightened
Are these Everleds regulated? I plan to buy one either way, but I'm still curious.

Raven

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, they are. The specifics of how much current hasn't been detailed, but if you read through the very beginning we were hounding them pretty hard for the details /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

They have a buck/boost combination as they can run from any voltage from a single cell up to 6 or 8 cells? Sorry can't remember to upper limit. But basically you can put them in anything which means that they HAVE to be regulated.

I expect mine in the main any day now!

Darkaway

Enlightened
I only ordered one white, just in case they turned out to be junk. Sounds like the opposite is true. My credit card was billed back on March 5th but still no confirmation e-mail and nothing in my mailbox.

This is torture!!!!!

snuffy

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:

I expect mine in the main any day now!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious as to their speed of shipping orders. Can you tell me how long ago you ordered?

N162E

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]

I'm curious as to their speed of shipping orders. Can you tell me how long ago you ordered?

[/ QUOTE ]

I ordered at pre-order on March 1, had confirmation the same day. Received shipping notice and tracking number on March 17. Order arrived March 19. My order was number 642.

I get the impression there were a lot of them made and considering they have not really been marketed yet I would expect orders placed now or in the real near future to be filled real fast.

RE Heatsinking. One of Everled's posts made reference that thermal problems were not a consideratiom while subtly suggesting that the bulb would operate brighter if it was cooler. I have tried them in a Maglight and and a cheap plastic light. The Everled seems to get a little warmer in the plastic light but not to where I would call it hot.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered on march 13th and received my receipt from them immediately. I'm order number 742. But I haven't heard anything else indicating that it had shipped. Has anyone with a higher order number than me received theirs yet?

I emailed them this morning with the number asking for an update, or perhaps it will just arrive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a very nice polite email back from LED Supply almost immediately. Evidently they are so swamped with orders that they are a bit behind in shipping.

No problem, I can wait as long as I know they haven't forgotten about me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cheers for their customer service, Jeers to the rest of you for swamping them with orders so that mine was delayed!

Spectrum

Newly Enlightened
As far as brightness, we have all gotten used to talking about output of LED lights in relative terms, not compared to incandescent. The EverLED ad seems to say that the EverLED bulb is even BRIGHTER than a standard krypton bulb. What can you say about that? Is it even close? If so, this new product would make all previous LED lights obsolete overnight!

snuffy

Enlightened
Thanks for the order info. Sorry to be adding to the delays. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif If it's any help to those of you waiting for yours to arrive: I ordered March 19 and received order number 777.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I don't have an everled yet, I do have a few other 1 watt luxeon lights so I think we can draw some parallels in performance. My BB500 in a 2AA mod blows away any incandescent 2AA light. My LGI with 3AAA blows away the regular bulb also. After that point I think that you can get beter brightness from a regular bulb.

So, in a 2D mag or 2C or 2AA it should be great
in a 3D/C/AA it should be good
and it won't get any brighter with any more cells, so you're getting more and more runtime the more cells you have, but the regular bulb will be brighter after this point.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only had mine (white) for about 30 hours. Only tried it in four lights so far. (did not properly fit in two of them) DOES fit and function in "the one" that I bought it for(Dorcy Frostbrite 2AA) It is BRIGHT and it is WHITE. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I am a bit confused - I recall someone saying that it functions best on 2 cells - but the enclosed paperwork says best on 3 cells. The latter would make more sense assuming 1.5 volt cells.
Bottom line at this point would be best quoting Lesly Snypes in Demolition Man "... I like it. I like it a lot!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
Hey Stainless, ditto on the Frostbite. I picked up the 4AA version with textured reflector. It's da bomb. Unfortunately, the dealer (Camsite's of America) had only two left of the frostbite and Sears hardware which used to carry them no longer do. I hope that they aren't out of production as I thinki that they will house these two that I now have and any future everleds that I may purchase. So far it is much better than the mag as there are very minimal artifacts with the frost bite, and there were plenty with the two mags that I own.

Ed.