Newbie: Need Help Modding a SF 6P.....

exd3686

Newly Enlightened
I've been researching this site for over a week in the attempt to figure out how to modify my Surefire 6P. I want to change it to a Cree Q5 with tailcap to allow for 100% and strobe. The more I read the more I get confused. I need help from the pros!

I'm willing to spend around $30 on the Cree Q5 module and $30 on a tailcap. I've seen the G&P 527 tailcap as well as the Lightsaver Blitzer tailcap. I get confused with Cree modules with modes and tailcaps with modes. What do I need?

Your help and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 6P comes equipped with a reliable twist-on. Keep it that way. Else, a tailcap with a McClicky. The Wolf-Eyes 2-Mode fits your description for a Q5 assembly with hi/strobe modes.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
All of the modules that have modes use a driver that controls which mode the drop-in is in. What tailcap you use won't matter(as long as it's just on and off) because it is a circuitry that controls the modes. Having a multimode tailcap would probably mess up a multimode drop-in.

Depends on what you want. If you want the tailcap to control the modes, the you would have to get a single mode(just on and off) drop-in and a multimode tailcap. If you want to use the tailcap you have now(I presume it is a simple on-off tailcap), you would need a multimode drop-in.

:welcome:

Mercaptan

Enlightened
This is your tailcap.

This is your drop-in.

Probably not what you wanted to end up spending... but, meh, you get what you pay for.

Here and here are reviews of the 527... but honestly, I don't trust a tailcap that costs less than 6 dollars. YMMV.

An additional thought... do you really need strobe if you have a momentary-on tailcap? I can strobe my BOG Q5 drop-in at around... 10-20 Hz which is pretty disorienting. Just start mashing the button enough to activate light and lift-off. Momentary-on is a win.

Last edited: