LRI Photon vs X-Light - I don't get it

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a die-hard fan of fauxtons, so I'm not about to buy an original LRI light - still, I was looking at their catalog out of curiosity, and I was left wondering why on Earth would anyone want to spend $15.95 for a one-mode unregulated Photon II (let alone a Photon I, with its lack of the essential toggle switch) when an X-Light Micro costs 8.95 and has microcontroller-regulated modes and electronic switching.
How do Photons even get sold? Am I missing something?

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well...are you missing that the X-Light Micro is actually made by LRI?

I think the reason that the Photon II still sells at the higher price is because it is brighter. I have Photon II's in white and red versions that I bought years ago, and they are amazingly bright for their size.

paulr

Flashaholic
The X-light is a piece of crap, see my unfavorable review of it in the reviews section several years ago. It's around 2x the size of a fauxton and is built like junk. If you want a microprocessor controlled Photon, get a Freedom.

The Photon II is a great light, a beautiful, functional, no-nonsense design. I have two of them on my keyring right now (red and white), while a Freedom, several Photon 3's, and dozens of Fauxtons sit in containers with my other flashlight junk.

The Photon I is lower in cost and more waterproof than the II.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I used to think as you do, and loved fauxtons (and I still do, for what they are). But I had an opportunity to pick up a camo Photon I for cheap not long ago. It was only the CS version, but it surprised me quite a bit. It's brighter than any fauxton, and even my E0. It's actually on par with my LOD Q4 on low, although the tint and beam pattern leave much to be desired in comparison (blue center, yellow corona and spill)

It quickly replaced a fauxton on my keychain. I will never buy them in handfuls like I do fauxtons, but I made room in my heart for Photon.

I will never keep a microchip control squeezelight on my keychain again, as a gen2 Inova Microlight kept turning on and draining down like that.

Now I'm trying hard to resist buying a DS version, since I already have much brighter lights I could use like the LOD Q4.

My guess would be that the X-Light doesn't use the same LED as the Freedom, and it looks to be bigger.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
It beats me, im thinking that its because photonII fans dont trust these "made in china" fauxtons, not realising that photonII is probably also made in china. The xlight micro also have a rather soft switch area, like, rubbery, it might be a concern, as compared to the hard polycarbonate or awhatever that is they use on the freedom and II

EDIT: Maybe photon IIs are brighter...? :shrug: hope i didnt step on anyones toes
great, now i feel like i have to get a freedom with ds...

Marduke, X-light was right up there with the freedom when it first came out with the nichia. X-light and the freedom were i think the first twoo photons to use a nichia. Brightguy even says that the xlight uses a nichia, while it doesnt state anything for the freedom.Maybe they upgraded all the later models of p1 and pII to cs's

Crenshaw

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
It beats me, im thinking that its because photonII fans dont trust these "made in china" fauxtons, not realising that photonII is probably also made in china. The xlight micro also have a rather soft switch area, like, rubbery, it might be a concern, as compared to the hard polycarbonate or awhatever that is they use on the freedom and II

EDIT: Maybe photon IIs are brighter...? :shrug: hope i didnt step on anyones toes
great, now i feel like i have to get a freedom with ds...

Marduke, X-light was right up there with the freedom when it first came out with the nichia. X-light and the freedom were i think the first twoo photons to use a nichia. Brightguy even says that the xlight uses a nichia, while it doesnt state anything for the freedom.Maybe they upgraded all the later models of p1 and pII to cs's

Crenshaw

The Photon II and Freedom have been upgraded to a DS, the Photon I is probably to follow.

All LRI products are made in the USA

paulr

Flashaholic
The Photon II and Freedom have been upgraded to a DS, the Photon I is probably to follow.

All LRI products are made in the USA

Actually not, the electronic ones (Proton Pro, Fusion, and the Freedom circuit board) are made in China. The Photon II plastic shell is made in the USA, but its main technological part is made in Japan (the Nichia led). I'm not sure where the other technological part (the Energizer coin cells) are made.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Actually not, the electronic ones (Proton Pro, Fusion, and the Freedom circuit board) are made in China. The Photon II plastic shell is made in the USA, but its main technological part is made in Japan (the Nichia led). I'm not sure where the other technological part (the Energizer coin cells) are made.

Well, I know their Nichia's are made in Japan, but as for the rest, then their website is lying

All Photon products are manufactured by LRI, located in Blachly, Oregon.

cv3po

Banned
I will never keep a microchip control squeezelight on my keychain again, as a gen2 Inova Microlight kept turning on and draining down like that.
Now I'm trying hard to resist buying a DS version, since I already have quote]

First off for Marduke.............resistance is futile! You must get the DS! :grin2: For real man, it's a whole new level. As for the OPoster, people buy photons mostly because they are always on the cutting edge with new LED's, their cases are the most durable and the LED leads are gold plated. Also as some have pointed out the PII's are not waterproof but with the gold plated leads not only is contact improved but corrosion resistance is much improved as well. Photons will actually work underwater................the only problem is once the case is fully flooded they tend to glow dimly as water (especially saltwater) is slightly conductive. Once on dry land just shake it out and then open it up to dry when you get the chance. The PII is just about the most reliable lighting device invented by man. With the new DS bulbs you also have the option of swapping in a single 2032 batt for excellent runtimes on top of excellent output, something most coin cell lights aren't known for. Marduke, you mentioned that you own an LOD Q4. This combined with the PII DS with 2032 is my new EDC combo. With the exception of long range spotting there isn't much that this pair cannot do as far as personal lighting goes. Good choices!

paulr

Flashaholic
Well, I know their Nichia's are made in Japan, but as for the rest, then their website is lying

LRI is located in Oregon but its lights are made in other places as well, either as standard components or subcontracted assemblies or finished lights. Do you really think LRI makes its own batteries?

AlexSchira

Enlightened
I'd feel confident running a Photon II over with a pickup truck, that's where the cost of the trademark models come from. The X-Light is their Freedom circuitry, which is quite a wonder honestly, in the most inexpensive setup they could manage within reason. Stocking stuffers for the whole family, one for every key ring. The sacrifice isn't in brightness or usability, the X-Light does everything the Freedom can and even comes with a neck-clip for EDC, it's the fact the casing is as cheap as possible. There are two holes in the front that lead straight to the circuitry and batteries, not even a sealed casing.For multiple kits and gifts, it's fine, but I'd never pick one over any of the bulletproof black Photons.

Marduke

Flashaholic
LRI is located in Oregon but its lights are made in other places as well, either as standard components or subcontracted assemblies or finished lights. Do you really think LRI makes its own batteries?

No, but batteries are not a LRI product. I can understand emitters and even PCB, but I suspect the important parts such as the bodies, etc. are USA made (at least I hope).

Wait a minute, why am I defending them? I only one a Photon I from them that was on sale....

Down with the infidels!!! :touche: :xyxgun: :knight:

j/k

paulr

Flashaholic
No, but batteries are not a LRI product. I can understand emitters and even PCB, but I suspect the important parts such as the bodies, etc. are USA made (at least I hope).
Re "bodies, etc.": a Photon II is a body, a led, 2 batteries, and I guess you could count the split ring. I doubt that LRI makes the split ring itself, and it doesn't make the led or batteries, so there really is no "etc". I guess they do apply gold plating to the led leads, which improves reliability compared with a fauxton.

The body is just a plastic shell. Of course it's important since it holds everything together, but it's just a couple bits of molded plastic. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that the P2 is not exactly a high tech device, at the level of assembling off-the-shelf components. The Freedom is a slightly different matter but it's always seemed like overkill to me, plus as mentioned it's made in China (at least the circuit board).

Last edited:

cv3po

Banned
Re "bodies, etc.": a Photon II is a body, a led, 2 batteries, and I guess you could count the split ring. I doubt that LRI makes the split ring itself, and it doesn't make the led or batteries, so there really is no "etc". I guess they do apply gold plating to the led leads, which improves reliability compared with a fauxton.

The body is just a plastic shell. Of course it's important since it holds everything together, but it's just a couple bits of molded plastic. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that the P2 is not exactly a high tech device, at the level of assembling off-the-shelf components. The Freedom is a slightly different matter but it's always seemed like overkill to me, plus as mentioned it's made in China (at least the circuit board).

Not exactly a high tech device is the whole point for me. It's super simple and yet has the highest quality components. That is why I carry a PII instead of the freedom. I have a freedom (somewhere) but it always seemed to go through batts quite a bit faster and just didn't inspire that confidence level of "this light will take anything within reason and still make light". I actually pack my PII case full of grease so as to protect the one thing that can corrode and fail..........the battery. With this setup it really is waterproof and does work underwater. Anything with a circuit board doesn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling. The body is just a plastic shell? Not really. It is made of polyurethane and is really strong for it's weight. This is important for the PII because unfortunately (it's sole downfall IMO) it still uses screws to secure the case. I use a 2032 so I don't have to change batts very often but I've found that photon cases don't strip out like the fauxton cases do. As a backup the PII with a 2032 is plenty bright (I guestimate 4-5 lumens), has a looooong runtime and is just one of those light that will always light up when squeezed. If they made the PII with a batt cover like the freedom I'd say that it's nearly perfect for what it is.

paulr

Flashaholic
Right, it's near impossible to really kill a P2. I've seen folks swimming with them and they do work underwater, even without special treatment. They get stuck on afterwards from salt and crap in the water, but you just open them, rinse them out and dry them and put them back together, replacing the batteries if needed. Fauxtons are the same way, more or less, just not quite as nice. I haven't stripped out any fauxtons yet but I don't replace the batteries that often.

I don't think anything like 5 lumens comes from a 2032 direct drive, but it's certainly enough to see by.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The urge i felt to buy a freedom is definetly back....ARGH!...

but then i already have 50 fauxtons on thier way....which should have been here by now
but then i already have an arc on my keys....
but then........it would be nice to have two DS lights..

Crenshaw