How much do you pay for internet?

Saaby

Flashaholic
ATT has just raised Cable internet access to something like $55 a month /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif but if you buy cable TV it goes down so you pay like $58 and get the internet AND cable TV.

There's no way we're going back to dialup, but how much a month do you pay for internet access?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I'm using AT&T Worldnet (dial up) which costs me $21.95 a month. I get unlimited usage, 60MB of web space that doesn't crash when slashdotted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and 6 email addresses.

Brock

Flashaholic
I know ours is high, but were on Centurytel DSL 512k down 256k up. It is $49.95. That's what you get when they are the only game in town. The only other option is dial-up ($15) and a second line ($25) with no long distance, nothing. So it only $10 more to get 512 vs maybe 28 we have bad lines out here and nothing is local.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
$59.95 plus taxes- (added to the cable bill) For that I am promised 1.5MB downloads and 384K uploads. I actually average about 1.1MB/320K- I don't even know how many extras like emails or web space they offer since I have my own servers.

Before I got the cable modem, I paid a total of around $43.00 a month including taxes to both of the less than reliable local dialup ISPs where a 40K actual connection speed was a rarity.

I'd pay twice as much for the speed and reliability if I had to.

Saaby

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Silviron said:
I'd pay twice as much for the speed and reliability if I had to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shhhhhhhhh....they'll hear you

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Verizon DSL. $40. 128k up and 768k down. Can pay $60 for 1.5 meg down. Would never go back to dial up. Would give up the cable TV first if it came down to that.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
$30 for high speed internet using cable modem. For the first 3 months need to pay additional $30 for the modem. Using Cox company. Get 10 Mb download but around 64 Up load. Very sad.

AllenInHouston

Newly Enlightened
I was paying $50/month for DSL through pdq.net (supposedly $40 DSL & $10 ISP). I was getting about 1.2M down and 128k up. About a year after Internet America bought them out, they dropped our download speed to 256k without saying anything. F**kin' S*B's! Their reason was that SWB was charging them more for the DSL lines now. What was weird was that SWB was still offering the "standard" $50/month for full speed access.

Now we have cable through roadrunner for $45/month in addition to the standard cable bill. Speed is good though: close to 2Mm down and 384k up.

iddibhai

Enlightened
10.83/month, tax included. www.ev1.net private houston based company with service in southwest usa metro areas. unlimited use, 300mb webspace, 10mb/email account, unlimited accounts, local number, always connects 45.2k, 24/7 phone or webchat cust. svc.

Bill.H

Enlightened
I'm paying about the same as you, Saaby, but with Adelphia cable.

Shame, because my company sells DSL for 29.95 (I could get it for free!!!) but I'm not close enough to the telco CO.

Tomas

Banned
Too much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I have Earthlink as my ISP and get my service over the same Comcast cable that I get my cable TV feed. Measured speed averages about 2.62Mb down, .790Mb up on the bare cable. Throw in the wireless LAN and its security overhead and my actual speed is somewhat less at the individual 'puters.

Price is US$45.95/month which includes both the transport and the various ISP things from Earthlink (40M web space, 8 e-mail addresses, backup dial-up service, etc.).

The expensive part, though, is the on-line shopping this allows ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I usually have a couple of packages en-route at any given time (Just got yet another USB flash-drive (256MB Sandisk Cruzer) via UPS today, and have two other orders in transit.)

tomsig03.gif

-= MICROSOFT FREE ZONE =-

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Bellsouth, $15 for extra slow at the house but I only spend about 1 hr a day on it because I am rarely home and becuase of what I can do at work.

Bellsouth, around $900 for a split T-1 at work where I am on line 9-12 hours a day.

K A

Enlightened
$49.95/month from Cox here in Kansas. Extra $15/month if you rent modem, no rental fee if you own your own modem. Speed is 3mbit/256kbit.

Cox is in the process of implementing a bytecap policy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif 30gigs/month down, 2gigs/day down, 7.5gig/month up, 1gig/day up. Currently not all areas have this implemented and Cox did not even TELL subscribers about this new policy, people got 'informative emails' when they went over the limits.. it told them about the caps and what would happen if they continued to go over.

Cox does not even have something in place for us to check our stats which has everyone in an uproar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif One would figure they would have a stats checker in place FIRST before implementing this policy. There is something online in the AUP area about this policy.. again no one was notified about it.

Oh well. I can just see our 3mbit down shrinking to 1.5mbit in the future sometime. I cant even find anything online which mentions what speed we are supposed to be getting.. sneaky Cox. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first got Roadrunner Cable ISP, it was $40/month if you have catv, $50/month if you don't. I have no idea what the costs are now, since the Family Trust pays for it. The reason I went to RR, is that it was taking me 10 HOURS per day just to get my email via dialup with an ISP that didn't consider downloading email to be activity and a 4 hour limit of no activity (keyboard, mouse and surfing were only activity indicators).

Now, as long as my computer is on, it is online. Speeds are even faster in Linux, than in Windows. Perhaps because Linux sets a 10/100 nic to 100 by default, where Windows sets it at 10. Even at 10, it is sooo much better than dialup.

Even if I had to pay out of my pocket, I would.

yclo

Flashaholic*
About $53/month ($90 AUD) for 3Gb download, and waaaay to much for installation.

It's going in next week.

Now, I'm borrowing a friend's dialup account.

-YC

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
GB£25/month for 600K cable with up to 5 e-mails ans 20K "unlimited bandwidth" web space. That`s about US$33-ish I think. The Torch Reviews Site and the Bulb Museum cost me US$15/month each for the hosting, including up to 5 e-mails each and a combined total of 100Mb space/20Gb bandwidth.

I would never go back to dialup. They want an equivalent of $15/month over a connection that doesn`t really support a 56K modem, gets a heady ~3-4K/second download over a vintage 28K modem and auto-drops each 2 hours or after 5 minutes of no data transfer "to stop everyone just staying online and clogging the servers up" . It sucked. Big time....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif