Worst case scenario for an ARC

Status
Not open for further replies.

iSleep

Newly Enlightened
Yesterday, My ARC-P had died in violent accident.

It was kind of late at night (around 7PM). My friends and I were working on our final year project. We're testing which metal would suit our needs for our project. So we set up the machinery in the school workshop, and started with our tests.

"AHH ~ What a delight !"... I had my Arc with me while setting up the machines for the next material - 1/2 cubic inches solid titanium (6Al-4V) cube ... It was kind of dark inside the test chamber, and with my T1 way too heavy and bright for close up work, I grabbed the Arc-P from my keyring and started pointing it around the area ... it lit the place up nicely ... This nice and peaceful moment while appreciating the light will take a sudden downturn for the worst in the next 30 seconds ...

The machine somehow shorted out on us when I was just about to give the all clear . The machine had somehow started itself without the test subject in place. With the 2 large menacing slabs of metal about to crush my hands, one of the fellows pulled me out just in time before that happened. The sound of the 2 slabs clashing head-on had left me with my ears ringing, and I was so shocked that I whited out for a moment.

The next thing I know, was that the arc wasn't in my hands anymore ... It was in the base of the machine, totally of non-resemblence to what it used to be. The workshop technician had cleaned the "corpse" off the base, with some brute force and chemical agents ... I was still in shock then, so I wasn't able to take a picture of the entire scene and the aftermath of the episode ...

When I finally snapped out of it, I was pained to find my Arc-P totally destroyed. It had been with me for less than a week, but I have totally grown acustomed to its prescense. The light was small and barely noticable, until it was needed. The nice brightness is enough for lighting up the dark reasonably. I must say that this light will be greatly missed and it is a great lost from my EDC set-up. May this light rest in peace in the flashlight heaven.

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
It also had one of my lobsterclaw type clips on it!...:(

thats just sad man, seriously..

Crenshaw

Scottiver

Enlightened
Well that's a bummer! At least you weren't hurt. The only thing left to do is order yourself a new Arc and you'll be whole again!

iSleep

Newly Enlightened
But it is kind of on the expensive side (costs around 70 SGD for basic edition with shipping) ... and ... it has been upgraded to the premium edition with compliments from he himself (I got this together with crenshaw ...)

Now when I look at my keyring ... It seems empty without the arc though ... but at least I've got my hands back ...

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear about your loss of a good light. However, if I had to choose, I'd take my hands over a light any day! BTW, a safety breakdown like that is very serious. Did they figure out how that happened. I'm not a machinist, but I've worked with large thread and groove machines and they all have redundant safeties. Most machines require both hands on the controls to start. Were there any safeties jumped out of the system?

iSleep

Newly Enlightened
It was faulty, but the notice was pasted in an obscure corner of the machine. Probably by other students who stuck it there after it got blown off.

But I was still very very sad at the extremely early (less than a week) demise of the Arc-P.

raythompson

Newly Enlightened
Most machines require both hands on the controls to start. Were there any safeties jumped out of the system?
This was in Singapore. I doubt there are many safety rules such as exist in the US in Singapore. In the US if a machine such as that had a safety defect requiring a notice, the machine would have been placed out of service by locking out the entire machine.

iSleep

Newly Enlightened
The government and schools here DOES post its multiple rules and guidelines for operating machineries ... and we are educated about it ...

Just that sometimes for the sake of convenience, people are lazy to put tings back into their proper places

Last edited:

iSleep

Newly Enlightened
It is gone now ... All that is left is a small marking left at the point of impact ... the machine was sent off to the factory when i returned earlier

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to hear you got to keep your hands! That is pretty serious to have a machine startup like that. So the machine is being serviced? Good.

Btw, don't worry about the Arc. Drop me an email and we will send you out a new one no charge.

peter

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
:bow: Peter
youre awsome..!

This was in Singapore. I doubt there are many safety rules such as exist in the US in Singapore. In the US if a machine such as that had a safety defect requiring a notice, the machine would have been placed out of service by locking out the entire machine.

We arent as backward as you might think. Did you know Singapore is home to Longbow and MTE ?
as iSleep has said, its more likley due to the fault of a single individual being lazy rather then an institution. :shrug:

Crenshaw

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Btw, don't worry about the Arc. Drop me an email and we will send you out a new one no charge.

peter

If anyone ever asks me why I spent $45 on a keychain light, I will be conveying this story. THAT'S customer service. You rock Peter!

(BTW, I have my arc-p on a neck chain, so if I drop it, it just falls harmlessly against my chest. Works like a charm. Ah, precious little arc.)

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Post a pic of the offending test machine so we can get a clearer idea of the posssible damage inflicted.

Turt

Enlightened
Wow Peter!

You just brought back a flood of memories about the good ol days in flashlight history. My first real light was an Arc LS and I remember happy times with the Arc community when it was released with top notch service! Awesome gesture!

Status
Not open for further replies.