PR drop in LEDs

Genxsis

Newly Enlightened
Are there any other so called "PR drop in LEDs" other than the nite-ize PR LED that's made for D cell lights and is sold at Walmart for about $10 (which is a bit much, I think). I was curious as to whether there are ones that are luxeon or even Cree. One of these would be great for converting an incan light to LED without settling for a dim light like the nite-ize one referred to above puts out.

Genxsis

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys! The ads talk mostly about maglites, but I assume maglites use the same krypton bulb as any other krypton flashlight using the same number of batteries. I have a bicycle headlight that uses 2C batteries I was thinking of getting a LED replacement for. Would save alot of batteries!

Although I have to admit that I'm a little surprised at how a 1 watt replacement LED costs $18.95, when an entire flashlight using such an LED can cost about the same, or even less at the store.

Last edited:

Marlite

Enlightened
Are there any other so called "PR drop in LEDs" other than the nite-ize PR LED that's made for D cell lights and is sold at Walmart for about $10 (which is a bit much, I think). I was curious as to whether there are ones that are luxeon or even Cree. One of these would be great for converting an incan light to LED without settling for a dim light like the nite-ize one referred to above puts out.

CPF members John 2551 ably assisted by LEDNinja have compiled the definitive PR Bulb listing with links to the relative websites carrying the PR based LED's.There are a few screw based bulbs as well.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/178595

It is a treasure trove so be sure to bookmark it. This was a great service to us all.

Thanks to John 2551, LEDninja and all who helped.
marlite

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
CPF members John 2551 ably assisted by LEDNinja have compiled the definitive PR Bulb listing with links to the relative websites carrying the PR based LED's.There are a few screw based bulbs as well.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/178595

It is a treasure trove so be sure to bookmark it. This was a great service to us all.

Thanks to John 2551, LEDninja and all who helped.
marlite

Umm.... see post #3 :poke:

Skibane

Enlightened
Are there any other so called "PR drop in LEDs" other than the nite-ize PR LED that's made for D cell lights and is sold at Walmart for about $10 (which is a bit much, I think).

If you've read entirely through the link cited above, you already know that the revised version of the Nite-Ize PR LED is a whole 'nother animal, and is well worth the asking price...

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the terralux TLE-1F drop-in in my PT Solo running off 2 L91's. It lives in my cycle/commuting pack as a backup as such. Definately NOT worth the $20 I paid. Check out the battery station's CPF specials page, there is a very decent 1W cree drop-in that I put into an army surplus angle head light. Running off a pair of I-dont-know-how-old D cells its almost as bright as the 1F running on two newer L91's.

Genxsis

Newly Enlightened
If you've read entirely through the link cited above, you already know that the revised version of the Nite-Ize PR LED is a whole 'nother animal, and is well worth the asking price...

When you say "revised version", are you referring to the 1 watt LED upgrade at this link? http://www.niteize.com/productdetail.php?category_id=28&product_id=166

I don't remember what the wattage was on the $10 one at Walmart I was referring to. If this 1 watt is better, then it certainly would be worth it. Where is it available and for how much?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Last edited:

wildstar87

Enlightened
The Mag specific conversions (i.e. MagLED, Terralux TLE-6EX) unfortunately won't work in a standard PR base flashlight, due to the way that the units are designed specifically for the Mag interface to a PR bulb. I know, I was trying to get these for a Brinkmann 5D mag look a like, but the bulb mount was a standard PR, not the Mag type screw down.

JamisonM

Enlightened
When you say "revised version", are you referring to the 1 watt LED upgrade at this link? http://www.niteize.com/productdetail.php?category_id=28&product_id=166

I don't remember what the wattage was on the $10 one at Walmart I was referring to. If this 1 watt is better, then it certainly would be worth it. Where is it available and for how much?
I think this may be the drop-in being referred to. The first were dim, but the new version, IMHO, is putting out so much light I want to think it 's a luxeon I. I'm pretty sure it isn't, but it's still putting out quite a bit of light. I haven't seen a runtime chart for new ones, but NiteIze advertises 50 hours in a 2D light. They work best with a light that you can focus and would make an excellent emergency light. You can use the terralux drop-in for general lighting and keep the niteize drop-in in the tail cap for emergencies.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I think this may be the drop-in being referred to. The first were dim, but the new version, IMHO, is putting out so much light I want to think it 's a luxeon I. I'm pretty sure it isn't, but it's still putting out quite a bit of light. I haven't seen a runtime chart for new ones, but NiteIze advertises 50 hours in a 2D light. They work best with a light that you can focus and would make an excellent emergency light. You can use the terralux drop-in for general lighting and keep the niteize drop-in in the tail cap for emergencies.

This is the original dropin with LONG runtimes. It's nothing more than a buck circuit and a 10mm LED.

This is the "new" one, which uses a lowly Lux I.

Far as I know, the "new" one is not yet sold in any B&M store under the NiteIze name. It is however a rebrand of the TerraLux TLE-1F