Need help picking a flaslight

RyeLou

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to the froums as well as flaslights in general. I managed to get in on the Regalight WT1 V.2 deal ( http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=172345 ) and I'm extremely happy with that flashlight. Now however I'm looking for something for my girlfriend. I want something small and bright. Small enough to work on a keychain and bright enough to at least light up a dark area well enough to see at night in a parking lot or a similar situation. Bright enough to help deter someone coming towards her would be nice, also.

I know SureFire has the Titan, but I'm not looking to spend $500 on this. I guess for a price range something within $75 if possible would be nice. Any opinions are welcome.

Jamougha

Newly Enlightened
If your only criteria are 'very small, very bright and cheap' then either the Fenix L0D Q4 or P1D Q5 seems to fit best.

RyeLou

Newly Enlightened
Pardon my ignorance but beyond size, price and requirments what else could/should I base my purchase on? I don't mind doing the research, and I know it's better to search but I don't even know what terms to use for a keyword search.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Pardon my ignorance but beyond size, price and requirments what else could/should I base my purchase on? I don't mind doing the research, and I know it's better to search but I don't even know what terms to use for a keyword search.
:welcome:

I'd personally consider the type of battery as well when choosing a new light.

For the uses you mention (GF's keychain), a Fenix L0D light is a great match - small, bright, good quality, common battery type. I personally find 123-based lights too thick to fit comfortably on my keychain.

RyeLou

Newly Enlightened
Well it seems as though the L0D would be a little longer as opposed to a little thicker than the P1D. (123 vs. AAA) I guess you just need to pick which one is less of a pain to carry. Personally I think I like the shorter of the two, because it isn't too too wide. My girlfriend doesn't mind carrying stuff on her keychain with her keys. Myself, I just like a car key, key fob and house key and that's it.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The L0D-CE Q4(black anodizing) would be great. IMO would be more noticeable to have a wider light then a thinner light. Also AAA batteries are cheaper in stores then CR123 batteries. If you are looking at the P1D-CE, I'd recommend the P1-CE, Simple one mode.

8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8".

:welcome:

RyeLou

Newly Enlightened
If you are looking at the P1D-CE, I'd recommend the P1-CE, Simple one mode.
You think the one mode would be more advantageous over a brighter light? I can see the reasoning behind that.

Now with the P1D, I would imagine there is something so it goes on to whatever the last mode used was. Would that be correct?

Edit: Nevermind the last part, I just read the "Operation" section for the P1D on the Fenix website.

Hawkeye62

Newly Enlightened
With some shopping around you can get a Surefire E2E for around that price. Great light! Sorry, not a keychain light...

Last edited:

97t-bird

Newly Enlightened
If you looking for ease of use in a critical situation for the gf I wouldnt go for a keychain light then....They do come in handy but who would have time to fiddle with the keys etc.....I would get her an L1 to keep in purse she could carry it in her hand when walking to car in a dark situation and worse case be used to temporarily shine someone and even hit them in face if they try to grab.......Just a thought and the L1 can be had around $110 just have to know were to look..........