Sister getting married/moving to Norway, feminine Flashlight gift?

Amonra

Enlightened
My sister is getting married in about 3 weeks ( 16th Feb ) and moving to a small island in northern Norway. it's cold and windy and not many people live there so i am assuming she will need a flashlight.
So im looking for:

a good reliable small feminine looking flashlight which she would (hopefully) EDC in her purse or on a keychain or around the neck (actually i think she would like and carry a pendant style flashlight but it needs to be stylish).

Since there is only one store on the island I guess common AA or AAA batteries would be the easiest to find so are preferred (ideally no rechargeable batts to reduce complication) .

As always as much light as possible but dimmable for long runtime. an uncomplicated simple ( but reliable ) hi-low clicky/twisty would be preferred.

As i plan to give it to her as part of a wedding gift, money is no object (up to a certain point) but im restricted with time. i have to have it at least a day before the wedding.

Is there any flashlight that fits the above description ?
Custom jobs are welcome too.

A matching flashlight for the husband-to-be would be nice too!!

Thanks for your help.

ptirmal

Enlightened
the only thing I think a female would wear around the neck would be a draco, but they're $250+ if I recall and take special lithium cells...

I would stick to a keychain light. Unless you really belive she would keep it in her purse (which I would not assume unless she specifically stated it)...

Marduke

Flashaholic
Fenix LOD Q4, comes in redish, black, and olive (picture not accurate color for olive)

However, on medium and high modes, NiMH would be best.

This is true with any light with decent output though. Alkaline just don't hold up under high load.

A charger with a couple LSD NiMH cells would make a good gift to include.

However, Energizer L92's would hold up well against the cold. Could just include a large pack of them with it.

Amonra

Enlightened
all suggested lights are nice but the knurling makes them look manly.

A non knurled, chromed (or Ti) ArcAAA with a cree and a two stage would be ideal.

The energizer L92's are good idea btw.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure Peak makes a AA or AAA light without knurling(IIRC I have seen some pics). Their website is a mess, but if you call them, you could probably almost make a custom made for you, to a reasonable price.

Amonra

Enlightened
yep they do:
http://www.peakledsolutions.net/Products/Baltic_SS.html
They have a Ti version too, but im not sure how big or how bright it is and with all those power levels to choose from and too little specs im getting confused.
what is the actual current going to the LED & lumens at each power level ? runtime at each level ?
Does anyone have one and can post some size/brightness comparison shots maybe with an arcAAA and an LOD Q4 ?

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whenever I hear about people looking for "feminine looking" gadgets I get the shivers. A flashlight has to WORK and work WELL. If a woman doesn't want one because it's not feminine, she does not deserve it. Argh.

Now that I've gotten that out of my system, I too say get a keychain light. That way she'll be more likely to actually carry it.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree with Fallingwater. I don't know what feminine means here. I gave my neices regular cylindrical shaped 1AA lights and they all seemed to like them just fine. Black goes with anything....

meuge

Enlightened
Fenix LOD Q4, comes in redish, black, and olive (picture not accurate color for olive)

However, on medium and high modes, NiMH would be best.

This is true with any light with decent output though. Alkaline just don't hold up under high load.

A charger with a couple LSD NiMH cells would make a good gift to include.

However, Energizer L92's would hold up well against the cold. Could just include a large pack of them with it.

That would be by far the best choice for a woman. I've given a number of natural-colored L0D-CEs as gifts, and they've been exquisitely well-received.

I made my own manual for it, which I give along with the gift, that includes the instructions courtesy of Fenix-store, as well as Chevrofreak's runtime data for different batteries. Everyone I've given this gift to thus far has chosen to use L92 AAA lithiums... but I am sure someday, somebody, will use rechargeables.

magic_elf

Banned
I'd agree with the L0D as well.

Lights with uncommon batteries like CR123 or CR2 would be a bad idea.
While the peak is a good idea, do not get the brass version as it will discolor after about a month without maintainence.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I would tend to agree that a natural color LOP CE would be good.

I carry a LOP SE from a neck chain and my only thought is (like the fellow that gave it to me) it's not bright enough.

CE ought to fix that right up!

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Fallingwater: " Whenever I hear about people looking for "feminine looking" gadgets I get the shivers. A flashlight has to WORK and work WELL."

nerdgineer: "Agree with Fallingwater. I don't know what feminine means here ... Black goes with anything..."

Aw, c'mon guys! What ... are you two made of stone? :confused: holding batteries next to an emitter and being able to open and close the circuit is a pretty simple task. All the rest is personal preference ... and that includes styling, finishes, etc ...

For non-flashaholics, especially many women, it has to look pretty/feminine, etc ... if they are going to like it. Not meaning to offend ... that's just the way it is for many (but not all) women. I'm fine with that becasue it limits the choices ... but you can still find something that fits the bill.

I plan on getting this light for my niece ... and the same light in blue for my nephew:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9100

I gave them cheap incans 2 years ago ... and cheap 5mm Nichia cluster lights last year. I'm sure they'll like these providing they put out at least the equivalent of 1 watt of light.

DX has plenty of "pretty" lights to choose from. Problem is, many are "iffy" performers. Not the kind of quality gift light Amonra is looking for.

That brass light looked sweet ... but brass is so heavy ... I'd hate to wear that around my neck.

So, the search continues ... buy you might want to look at a Lumapower F1 (silver):

http://batteryjunction.com/lumapowerf1.html

Hey Amonra, how did the Malta Police Force like their lights? I just gave one to a good friend and a security guard at work. Both loved theirs It just goes to show the kind of yester-year performance that still 'wows' non-flashaholics. I think a lot of us here lose sight of that sometimes. ;)

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
give her an ARC AAA, still world's best 1x AAA light.
betcha ... he'd like one too.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I plan on getting this light for my niece ... and the same light in blue for my nephew:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9100

I gave them cheap incans 2 years ago ... and cheap 5mm Nichia cluster lights last year. I'm sure they'll like these providing they put out at least the equivalent of 1 watt of light.

Those lights are crap. They use a cheap emitters that dimmer than a fauxton.

They are dimmer than Lux I's running at 0.5 watts

I think they actually are a cheap inefficient 0.5 watt emitter.

paulr

Flashaholic
I agree with cy's suggestion of an Arc AAA. Classic styling and low power that thrives on alkaline cells. I would not get any digital light since those are for nerds (i.e. male). I would not get any powerful light (several people are suggesting them) since they don't work well on alkalines. I suggest the AAA-Snow model which is a little less bright than the premium DS and which has some rings in the beam, but has much more neutral beam color. However, any of the models are fine. Another idea is the Peak Matterhorn which is similar but available with a black finish. I suggest the lug tail version since it goes nicely on a keychain. The so called "key chain" model is considerably larger and more cumbersome and LESS suitable for keychain use.

Finally, if you do want something more powerful, I suggest the Peak Pacific in HA with the 1 AA lug body in "high" power. This too is a relatively low powered light (the second lowest of the four available configurations) but runs well on an alkaline and has a nice clean beam. It is quite a bit brighter than an Arc AAA while being a compact 1AA light that easily fits in a purse.