What Was the Deal at DX Re: the MRV?

Confederate

Enlightened
There are some rumors that the LumaPower offerings at DX aren't really LumaPowers, but I can't find anything authoritative on it. I got the MRV some time ago and it's worked like a champ, but I'm not real clear on the runtimes, etc.

Posters to DX have stated that LumaPower wasn't happy about the MRV being sold there, but from what I can tell, the thing seems to be the real deal. No manual. Delivered in the dead of night in a brown paper bag by a guy from Shanghai named Earl.

I've run a search here, but nothing really came up that discussed this issue. If anyone can...umm...shed any light on this, I'd be most interested.

Thanks.

horizonseeker

Enlightened
I doubt you'll find anything definitive about the source of the light other than that Lumapower will not warranty any lights bought from DX.

they may or may not have been given and then sold to DX as part of a settlement between previous owners of Lumapower when they went separate ways (from what I read), or could simply be gray market goods.

extas

Newly Enlightened
From what i understand, the chinese partner, that owned the foundry that made the original Lumapower lights, was doing some bad thing (like embezzlement or something of that magnitude). And since the Laws governing that kind of thing in china are basically ignored, lumapower cut ties with him and his foundry. And as part of that deal he was allowed to keep the existing stock of flashlights and flashlight parts as compensation for allowing the contract to be terminated.

so the parts at DX are from that "bad" guy, the MRV is a "real" lumapower light. but lumapower cannot be held responsible for those "real" lights from DX.

so they are "grey" market lights.

I learned all of this from the boards back in aug/sept, so i may not be totally correct. i am a total outsider to what happened between that factory and lumapower, i know no one personally.

-ex

merlocka

Enlightened
From what i understand, the chinese partner, that owned the foundry that made the original Lumapower lights, was doing some bad thing (like embezzlement or something of that magnitude). And since the Laws governing that kind of thing in china are basically ignored, lumapower cut ties with him and his foundry. And as part of that deal he was allowed to keep the existing stock of flashlights and flashlight parts as compensation for allowing the contract to be terminated.

so the parts at DX are from that "bad" guy, the MRV is a "real" lumapower light. but lumapower cannot be held responsible for those "real" lights from DX.

so they are "grey" market lights.

I learned all of this from the boards back in aug/sept, so i may not be totally correct. i am a total outsider to what happened between that factory and lumapower, i know no one personally.

-ex

This matches my memory as well. Some searches should find a few threads.
I admit to buying on of the DX lights right when they listed them. When I learned the details, I sorta felt bad, but what's a flashaholic to do?

I can confirm that the quality of the unit I have is good. Minor misalignment, but I've been able to get it pretty close, and it doesn't sound any different than what other owners have reported. It does have the 4 wires leading into the LED die, which seems to possibly confirm it's a Q2 bin.

So, I'm pretty happy with the unit.

Confederate

Enlightened
Now I feel bad about getting one as well. I'm surprised that some people here have complained that the MRV had a tendancy to "thow" too far. Well, having trekked some dark trails in my day, I'm thrilled with any of these lights now that rechargable batteries are so available. Still, I have an inexpensive thrower from DX that does almost as well as the MRV.Anyway, the MRV and a Fenix P3D takes care of all of my outdoor needs. My EDC is a beautiful little 1-cell light I got at DX for $13.xx. It has only one mode, but it does its job.Thanks for the info.