New 1W led from Osram

RewopEldnac

Newly Enlightened
Osram Opto Semiconductors Announces World's First High-Performance LED in Compact Package

[ QUOTE ]
The new offering, called "Golden Dragon," delivers a concentrated light point with a high degree of efficiency (optical efficiency is 20 lm/W), all in a compact package (0.8 – 1.8 mm high and fitting inside an enclosure measuring 6 x 7 mm). While individually larger in size than conventional LEDs (with a chip size of 700 µm, it is twice the size of the Power TOPLEDÒ), six Power TOPLEDs would be required to match the lighting intensity of a single Golden Dragon. This would represent a four-fold increase in space required if a conventional LED was used.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad it is still in prototype and only red & yellow will be available by mid-2003. At least we will have more choices of 1W led other that lumined's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RewopEldnac

Newly Enlightened
All I want is price drops on those flashlights with 1W led, because at this moment they are just way too expensive for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Is there an article/link about the 2W Nichia?

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
RewopEldnac said:...Is there an article/link about the 2W Nichia?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a thread on it from Shot Show here.

B@rt

Flashaholic
McGizmo has put up a nice page about the Nichia 2W. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
nichia-2W.jpg

Nichia NCCW023E 2 Watt LED.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
he'd better chime in here with some more information that that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had the pleasure of viewing a sample of Osram's 1W white LED about a month ago (mounted alongside red and amber 1-watters on an MCPCB, part of an Osram demo kit powered by AAs). The specimen I saw had no visible primary optics (unlike the 30-deg nichia 2W), but otherwise looked pretty much like a cross between a luxeon and the nichia 2W with a square white ceramic casing (like the nichia) and 2 sturdy legs sticking out radially opposite each other (like a luxeon).

I'd characterize the output to be around that of a N4 luxeon .ie. not particularly bright, slight violet color. Optics may alter that in actual practice, though.

I have hopes that both the Nichia 2W and this Osram become viable alternatives to the Lumileds item soon. News is also about more high-powered LEDs coming from mfgs other than Lumileds, Osram and Nichia - the floodgates of SSL are about to bust open! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif