Bigger vs. better?

Jack Lewis

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a new light sometime in the next couple of months, and I've pretty well settled on an HDS Twisty. It's got everything I'm looking for. But I've recently come across a chance to get a good deal on anything made by Surefire.

So I find myself wondering if a small company like HDS can really turn out flashlights as good as those by a company like Surefire that has bulkier production, distribution networks, numerous patents, etc... So, bearing in mind my chance at a (relatively) inexpensive Surefire, and my inclination toward the HDS: Is there a Surefire you guys feel measures up?

Thanks!
Jack

P.S. -- Yeah, of course I'd buy both if I could. But I'll probably just go for one fantastic light....

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I find myself wondering if a small company like HDS can really turn out flashlights as good as those by a company like Surefire

Just because a company is larger, doesn't mean it's better. There's no reason why a very small company can't make quality products (some of the modders on here, for example), likewise, there's no reason why a large company can't make crap products (*cough* mag *cough*). If you can, have a play with both and buy the one you prefer; don't let price/company snobbery come into it.

DM51

Flashaholic
At a guess, you are comparing the HDS twisty with the Surefire L1.

You can rest assured that both these lights are of the highest quality, by manufacturers of very different scale but each with an unbeatable reputation for service, including a lifetime guarantee.

What this means is that you can safely choose on specification alone, secure in the knowledge that whichever one you choose will not let you down.