iPhone w/flashlight application...

jk904jk

Banned
tonight at dinner, my brother in law showed me a new application on his iPhone that I would "appreciate". It is just a blank screen where the white goes bright. I thought it was unique but not comparable to any of my EDC's. By the way... he is an avid surefire user, who has not updated his collection since last millenium. Anyways... here is a link to a youtube video of someone showing it.

Does anyone around here have an iPhone? maybe you should check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0aj0DnUeJY

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
theve "i" ed just about everything, computers, laptops,mp3players, phones, you name it, now we've got iFlashlight...:ohgeez:

:laughing:

Crenshaw

JosephK

Newly Enlightened
Wow that's really cool! Can't count the number of times I've used my cellphone as a ghetto flashlight to find my way through the dark.

I'll probably wait until the March update to do it though... Apple should have their SDK in place and we should be able to run custom apps. That is assuming they "allow" an application that turns their $500 product into an illumination device. :)

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
tonight at dinner, my brother in law showed me a new application on his iPhone that I would "appreciate". It is just a blank screen where the white goes bright. I thought it was unique but not comparable to any of my EDC's. By the way... he is an avid surefire user, who has not updated his collection since last millenium. Anyways... here is a link to a youtube video of someone showing it.

Does anyone around here have an iPhone? maybe you should check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0aj0DnUeJY

I'd cringe at the thought of holding a fragile, $500+ piece of equipment to light my way but it's always nice to have a backup. Just now I'm cringing at the thought of people using this as a primary. :sick2:

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
My cheap Motorola comes-with-the-account-free phone has a "flashlight" mode. It's buried in the menus, but it's there.

I'm more likely to have a flashlight with me than a cell phone, so it's not a very useful feature to me.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh yes, the non-CPF flashlight alternative. The number of times I have found people trying to locate a dropped piece of jewellery in a dark club with just a mobile phone for light. The search is usually over within seconds of me pulling my EDC on the situation - P1D-CE Q5!

PayBack

Enlightened
I downloaded a similar app for my iPaq about 10 years ago :D

It also had a mirror option where it made the screen blackish.

iSleep

Newly Enlightened
I downloaded a similar app for my iPaq about 10 years ago :D

It also had a mirror option where it made the screen blackish.

I remember using my old Samsung E720C "Photo Light" ... Heck ... that was pretty darn bright for a makeshift flash ... I think it uses twin luxeon LEDs. Not sure of which bin, but still pretty bright.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember using my old Samsung E720C "Photo Light" ... Heck ... that was pretty darn bright for a makeshift flash ... I think it uses twin luxeon LEDs. Not sure of which bin, but still pretty bright.

You're serious? Or rather sure? :)
I have seen a lot of camera phones with LEDs but usually they only have some 5mm LED. Really cool if they are starting to use luxeons. Can't wait for the first Cree/rebel/seoul!
LEDs in a phone is a great idea. Most people always have their mobile phones with them. Even I am much more likely to have a phone on me than a flashlight.

boosterboy

Enlightened
i installed some of those apps on my iPod Touch

white light
blinking yellow light (for signaling people???)
red light

it's a fun gimmick:faint:

Empyfree

Enlightened
theve "i" ed just about everything, computers, laptops,mp3players, phones, you name it, now we've got iFlashlight...:ohgeez:

:laughing:

Crenshaw

Don't mean to panic you.... but check this out!

ilight.jpg

Luckily it was a design concept, not reality!

see the link below for more details

http://www.gadgetizer.com/2007/12/03/ilight-concept-flashlight/

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't mean to panic you.... but check this out!

ilight.jpg

Luckily it was a design concept, not reality!

see the link below for more details

http://www.gadgetizer.com/2007/12/03/ilight-concept-flashlight/

:faint:

that looks as sleek as it is pointless...lol

i remember using my Motorola ROKR E1's photo light as a light, it was quite bright and floody too, slightly less then a photon at max, but all flood.It was enough to find you way in a cinema

Right now i have this application that has a strobing function,and multicolored light function, and a nightlight function, the strobing and coloured is kinda fun..but only if you prop it up against a wall, lightsaber beamshot style..

Crenshaw

iSleep

Newly Enlightened
You're serious? Or rather sure? :)
I have seen a lot of camera phones with LEDs but usually they only have some 5mm LED. Really cool if they are starting to use luxeons. Can't wait for the first Cree/rebel/seoul!
LEDs in a phone is a great idea. Most people always have their mobile phones with them. Even I am much more likely to have a phone on me than a flashlight.

That was what I thought . The diffuser that covers the lens partially shows the shape of the die ... and i think it looks like a luxeon to me

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I very much doubt that especially if there were two, the tiny cellphone battery is way too small to supply current to two of them. Besides they are a bit big to fit into cellphones.

iSleep

Newly Enlightened
Maybe thats surface mounted leds ? not really sure about that one ... i only have the most vague of all memories that it was a yellowish rectangular shape underneath those diffusers ...