The house was dark and the AA Mag was yella

PaulKersey

Newly Enlightened
Howdy all,

I became fascinated with the concept of strategic EDC last summer and have been on a roll ever since. My latest bit of research is for my first serious light, so I have been lurking here and searching through tons of old threads. You have quite the community here, so thank you, and I am inspired to tell a little story.

Today at work I had my first major "breakthrough" on why I definitely want a new light to play with.

Briefly, I pull low voltage wiring, install custom residential A/V and home automation systems, program remote systems, etc. Most jobs take place inside homes in well lit areas, but we do need battery driven light all the time. Wall cavities need to be peeked into, attics and crawls, much more. I carry a Home Depot $10 AA Mini Mag on my right hip, and a Streamlight Stylus in my front pocket.

Mag works well enough, gives me enough light to see in a dark space and is easily accessible via the stock holster. We get free AA batteries so I am never out of pocket for them, and the price of the Mag itself is right, because it gets dropped fairly often I would freak out if I lost a Surefire or something down into a wall cavity. It dims and dies pretty quickly, partially because it rolls itself on a lot if I bump it while crawling or whatever and don't notice it being on until later.

The Stylus pen lights are great, we use them a ton for peeking into single gang holes or for trying to see a fish line in a small hole we drilled. We also get these for free, so this combo of Mag + Stylus is basically fine. That said...

This past week and today we were pre-wiring a huge Crestron job and the house is still under construction, and very cold (Chicago -30F wind chill much?). Tonight we had to stay until about 7 PM, so for about 2 hours we were working in a very dark house. Dark pre-wires are nothing new, but I have never had new-LED-on-the-brain-itis at the previous ones. We had some lights up in the basement, but not upstairs and we were cleaning up and checking our work on floors 1/2/3. Scraps and debris all over, wood to trip on, etc.

I was using the Mag, in all of its dim yellow glory. I mean it still works "fine", it beamed across the house and basement wall to wall, and I had light... but I would really have loved to fire up a more powerful LED beast in that house and see what it could have done. The dust and snowflakes were flying all around me and creating a nice effect when they passed through the beam of light, but it was still weaksauce. I have never owned a serious LED light. Memories of a big D cell Mag throwing beam across a camp ground in the 90s is all I have. Spill in this case would have been supreme, but there is no sense in denying that I am lusting for a light saber first.

I don't think this new light I am looking for would replace the Mag or Stylus for my day to day use, but this latest dark house scenario gives me even more motivation to nail down my EDC light choice so that I can have it for personal use, and have it with me just in case I am working in the dark again and want to blaze up the job site.

I am currently researching a total of 3 light types to fill roles and specific form factors. A keychain AAA, a pocket or belt clip carry EDC semi-thrower AA, and a holster carry super thrower of any battery type.

I have a red LED Photon II on my keychain, right now am leaning to Arc AAA to give my keys some white light power in a rugged package. My alternate pick is Liteflux LF2 for the 100%/1% programming options. This combo of either full blast or absolute minimum for peak efficiency is very appealing to my semi-OCD personality.

The pocket carry AA is for EDC versatility, lots of use and common battery acquisition, with hopefully the option of using a high powered battery for better performance. I would like to use it with Eneloops mainly. This is the type I wish I had on me today. My preference is throw/build quality, and I know I am probably sacrificing by choosing the AA power source, but I can't jive with making my first LED a 123 muncher. The NiteCore Defender Infinity seems decent, but the reported gaudy markings is a huge turn off to me, as is people calling it worthy at $40 but not $80. The Fenix AA seems like perhaps the best bet, a safe buy. I normally research for periods longer than a few weeks but I am starting to itch.

The holster carry light is a long ways off because I need to research that one much much more.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to my stay here. No pressure intended to give me buying advice, the main point of this post was to share a story about the lust for light I thought you all might enjoy. I added my current research and buying conclusions because it was a natural progression from the story and to give you a bit more info on my thought process as a light user.

=)

Valolammas

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!

I am currently researching a total of 3 light types to fill roles and specific form factors. A keychain AAA, a pocket or belt clip carry EDC semi-thrower AA, and a holster carry super thrower of any battery type.

There are lots of choices for all of those, I'm sure you'll get plenty of recommendations. For the AAA light, the most popular choices are probably Fenix L0D-CE and Arc AAA-P. The Fenix has more features, but the Arc is simpler and more robust.

Most jobs take place inside homes in well lit areas, but we do need battery driven light all the time. Wall cavities need to be peeked into, attics and crawls, much more.

Considering this bit, you might also want to consider a headlamp. Take a look at the ZebraLight H50, it is very highly recommended. It's all flood and very little throw, but if you are getting a "super thrower" as well, you'll have that base covered. It's a single AA light, and can be belt- or pocket-clipped (though not at the same time as using it as a headlamp).

violatorjf

Newly Enlightened
:welcome: Paul!

I've got to say after reading your story you have LOTS of wonderful reading ahead. I've beat the crap out of the search button but its certainly the best way to increase your knowledge and hear about other opinions.

* AAA *
TOUGHEST > https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/184976&highlight=AAA
BRIGHTEST > https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/185779&highlight=AAA
BEST & BRIGHTEST > https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/182231&highlight=AAA
BEST > https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/184069&highlight=AAA

* AA *
I have to personally suggest the Romisen RC-G2. At $10.90 its an incredible light. You can search on it and find numerous topics on it. Other than waiting 3 weeks or so to get the light shipped to you, its awesome!
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3607
(you can also read the product reviews)

The biggest holster light...well :whistle:...you've got some reading in store. :thumbsup:

Good luck with your choices!

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
A huge second recommendation for the Zebralight. You'll get a ton of floody light out of a single AA battery. When a hotspot is needed simply supplement the lighting with your Mag or Streamlight.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to cpf!

Another cree suggestion would be the new Energizer AA lights popping up at Lowes etc. I think they would fit in your exhisting holster...and use the same AA batts you use now. Plus, they are several times brighter than the Minimag AA and if you drop one behind a wall, they are not that expensive.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
you get free AAs, so get an L1D- Q5 from fenix, and find a neck lanyard/wrist lanyard for it, and you wont lose it from drops. But, its gonna be too bright for close up work in the dark, even on low, so get an ARC-AAA on wrist lanyard, and L1DDQ5 on neck lanyard.

for AAA, the fenix LOD was good, im stilling waiting to get the LOd Q4 which should be even better then my old LOD, which was plenty bright anyway..

also, consider the headlamp alternative, and wait abit, cos fenix is coming out with one...worth it to wait and see what they have to offer.

Crenshaw

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
fenix E0 for your AAA light; apparently with an energizer e2 lithium you get 17 hours of perfectly flat output at 5.5 lumens (about the same as your MM), which then slowly falls. At $20 it's not the end of the world if you drop it. Alternatively, you could get the L0D, which is more expensive ($45) but has loads of features. It won't work well with alkalines in the high power modes, but hey. Again, an energizer e2 will give very nice output. Alternatively, get a single AAA charger, and use AAA NiMH's.

You could get the fenix L2D CE for the MM replacement. Loads of modes (10 lumens low (much brighter than a MM), up to a max of 180 lumens!). This runs off AA's, and would work a treat with eneloops. Alkalines work well on the lower modes, but don't use turbo with them; check out some runtime graphs to see what I mean.

If I were in your position, I'd get an E0 and an l2d.

For the big holster thrower, this depends on how much money you're willing to spend. A lowes task force cree is apparently a great thrower, and very cheap ($30), or a gene malkoff drop-in for a 4-6D mag will leave you out of pocket for at least $250 (depending on how much you spend on the mag), but what a light! The best thing about the mag is you could bore the tube and use AA-D apaters, using loads of AA eneloops instead of D's. Alternatively, you could try a hotwire mod of the mag, for monstrous amounts of light, or build your own light with a massive heatsink, a load of fans and about 25 emmitters. Needless to say, the last option would be the coolest ;)

Last edited:

Zenster

Enlightened
+1 on the L2D-CD/Q5.

Being a small 2xAA light that puts out more throw than the aforementioned "big" Maglite that the original poster remembered from long ago, the L2D will be the only light the OP needs for the job he does.
It's exactly the same length as a Mag AA light and without the bulky head, so carrying is a no-brainer.

Plus, the selectable output allows one to tailor the brightness needed for any particular situation which also makes the L2D a no-brainer in this situation.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

keysandslots

Newly Enlightened
I rarely use my AA maglite anymore, the beam is crap for detail work. I settled on 123s for my lights, which might put them out of your requirements but I EDC a D-Mini, keep an original MRV around for long walks after dark, have a Streamlight TwinTask 2 that I accidentally modified for a smooth floody beam (worked out well actually) and a Surefire A2, just because.

Funny thing is, I've found that almost anything is better than a maglite. The other lights I have make everything easier to see, from detail work inside my computer case to lighting up a room. Don't spend too much time researching because you really won't know what you want until you fool around with a couple of good lights. Buy something inexpensive (I started with the Streamlight) and start playing (oops, I mean, working) with these things.

Randy

PaulKersey

Newly Enlightened
This is awesome, great replies from all! I am heading off to work again but I eagerly await checking out all of your suggestions and links tonight. I appreciate the thought you are putting into my situation. The head lamp is a great mention also because it would have been perfect since I was carrying huge spools of wire while holding the AA Mag in my mouth! Hahah...

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF Paul.

I would second the Zebralight recommendation. Having your hands free while you are moving around a job site is great. If you also carry a light with good throw, you have all the bases covered.

I have an L2D-ce and I love it. However, it does not "shine" using alkaline AAs the way it does using NiMH or lithium AAs. For an alkaline AA-powered light that is closer to your 'light saber', you might try the Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Luxeon, which has a bit more throw than the L2D-CE. The ProPoly is made in the USA, almost indestructable, backed by an almost no-questions-asked replacement warranty, and at ~$27 is $20 less than the L2D-CE. You can get them at Fox International or BrightGuy.com. Look at FlashlightReviews.com for reviews of both these lights.

That said, I would recommend getting an L2D-CE to any new flashaholic. It is a great multi-level light.

Khaytsus

Enlightened

scottaw

Enlightened
I work in unlit attics, and above drop ceilings occasionally, and i would recommend a Princeton Tec Apex Pro to anyone, amazing light with lots of different levels and adjustability. Since you get free AA's, grab the non-pro version, it takes 4 AA's. Great runtime too, hasn't left me in the dark yet.

roymail

Enlightened
First, :welcome: Like you, I'm new and learning a lot here. CPF is a great place for this hobby.

Next, +1 on the Zebralight headlamp suggestion. I would think that's a must in your job or any job that requires crawling in attics pulling wire, etc.

Next, if you're wanting to invest in a nice AA light, the Fenix L1D/2D-CE is a solid suggestion. For less money look at the Olight T15 or the JetBeam C-LE V2 or many others.

Next, the Streamlight Propoly Luxeon 4AA has excellent regulation 3-1/2 to 4 hrs. at 40 lumens. Very good and tough light.

Last, if you want to salvage your minimag, get a SMJLED module from Lighthound 6.99 + shipping. It provides a very useable beam (noticeably more than stock bulb) and runs for hours and hours. Good investment.

Best of luck to you! :grin2:

wildstar87

Enlightened
I didn't notice anyone recommending the Terralux drop-in for AA Minimag so I will recommend it. It is WORLDS better than the stock bulb in the MM. TLE-5EX does quite well in the Minimag, if you are interested in keeping it. Getting a tail clickie replacement would also make it so you didn't have to deal with the whole unscrew the light head to turn it on.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-5k2.html

The one I have is the Cree XRE model, I thought it was more than worth it. I'm assuming the Luxeon LED that they replaced it with is about the same.

True you could probably buy another light for the price that you pay for this, but to me it's also less landfill to do it this way.

WDG

Enlightened
The headlamp suggestion is an excellent one. I finally started using one when I need both hands to work on something, and really like it. I have the Rayovac 1AA (about $20 at Walmart.)
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/169690

The Fenix L2D should be a great choice. I have the L1D, in preference for single cell lights, but if I ever decide to add another two cell, the L2D will be at the top of my list.
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=195
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=397

Don't overlook upgrading your MiniMag. The Terralux drop-ins make a tremendous difference in this light. The TLE-5 MiniStar2 and the TLE-5EX MiniStar2 Extreme will both make a significant improvement. The extreme is MUCH brighter, and should run about two hours per set of batteries.
http://batteryjunction.com/maledre.html

cv3po

Banned
Great first post! Welcome to CPF.

The LOD CE with Q4 at Fenix store is your keychain pocket rocket light.
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_69_49&products_id=191

For your MM replacement you should go with a L2D Q5.
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_65&products_id=397

And you can get a discount using the CPF8 code at checkout.

Indeed.

The LOD Q4 is, IMO, the ultimate pocket light. The Arc-aaa is usually considered the most rugged aaa light, and it is ultra tough, but I've never actually heard of an LOD failure (maybe one from using 10440 Li-Ion batt's). By all accounts it is way more reliable and with a simpler UI than most of the other multi-level aaa's out there.
As for the L2D..............I agree but lets not forget about the L1D Q5. Quite a bit smaller than the L2D (which itself is similar in size to the MM) and yet will STOMP the MM in every way conceivable with only one AA. Over 100 lumens for 2 hours on high and 12 lumens (still alot more than the MM) for 25 hours on low. The L2D is a bit brighter and has twice the runtime but if you carry a spare cell you get similar performance from the L1D in a much smaller package. Either way, you'll tip over the first time you use one compared to a MM! Good luck and welcome!

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed.

The LOD Q4 is, IMO, the ultimate pocket light. The Arc-aaa is usually considered the most rugged aaa light, and it is ultra tough, but I've never actually heard of an LOD failure

yes but the ARC -AAA looks oh-so-rugged compared. And the finish on the arc lasts longer. The anodizing on the LOD will start to wear pretty bad around the split ring area pretty fast. That said, IMO, its still the ultimate AAA light for all round usage. :D both are a must have for any flashaholic

Crenshaw