Gladius V2 / Insight H2X II

PhilV

Newly Enlightened
I want a light.. with retina burning power.. COMPLETELY one-handed operation.. max(momentary/constant), user defined, strobe (3 is plenty).. tactical forward-clicky.. a strobe with some thought applied to the frequency (disorienting, not just cycling)..

Man, I must want a Gladius!

However..

I also want a good life-span natively rechargeable solution. I want 250+ lumens.. and I want to know that any problems with the tail-switches or other reliability considerations have been corrected with engineering. I'd like for the reflector/emitter to be exchangeable as well.. coupled with a lifetime warranty.

I figure I'm waiting on a 2nd generation Gladius. Anyone care to speculate how long I'll have to wait? I can't wait to spend $$$ on this light.

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Gladius V2?

I do not know how long it will take... but when the light you are talking about comes out...PM us so we can buy it too:)

Dr.Skaramanga

Newly Enlightened

I own an Seould gladius with approx. 220+ Lumens an its still my first chice for EDC. I love the User interface, taht can be usw with only one hand, that it is stepless dimmable and that there is a low voltage warnig included, only the finish is not perfect.

My wish for a new gen Gladius would be absolutely the same UI but using a aspherical lens with adjustable focus, from super narrow to a good flood and with a next gen LED maybe r5bin, for that i would pay 300$
but night ops seem zo be quite unflexible, the still dont offer a gladius with a newer led than the luxIII (well there is a upgrade but...)
we will see..
maybe a chineese manufacter will release something like that

cruzmisl

Newly Enlightened

I wonder if someone with some skill could drop a Cree in there.........

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think a 9 volt version for longer runtime and a slightly longer/larger diameter reflector for more throw would be fantastic. Using a Cree Q5 and a slightly textured reflector would make it even better.

dougie

Enlightened

I imagine (could be wrong) that the development costs for changing over to a new emitter and reflector wouldn't be that great compared to designing ,testing and manufacturing a completely new light?

It seems to be absurd that this flashlight isn't being developed more. Whilst I can understand the reluctance of a manufacturer to invest heavily in a completely new product I'm reasonably confident that the cost of upgrading the current Gladius model would be recouped in additional sales. Given that many LEO's were mighty impressed when it originally came out I'm sure that an improved and higher spec model would sell really well.

The term 'missing the boat' seems appropriate?

Doug

X Racer

Enlightened

It does seem that they are missing the boat. A new emitter and a OP reflector would make the Gladius one sweet light...

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast

I suspect that the issue here is that Ken Good, who was the driving force behind the Gladius, has moved on to HID systems.

The Gladius is still, especially with the SSC upgrade, a truly fabulous choice for its intended uses.

apdb90

Newly Enlightened

Obviously, the Insight Technologies H2X is the same light (I believe/would bet insight is making them for Blackhawk/Night Ops). I just saw a V2 listed for sale that's rated at 170 lumens. Looks identical to the original H2X/Gladius.

cruzmisl

Newly Enlightened

I see 80 lumens listed for that light everywhere else........

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast

Obviously, the Insight Technologies H2X is the same light (I believe/would bet insight is making them for Blackhawk/Night Ops). I just saw a V2 listed for sale that's rated at 170 lumens. Looks identical to the original H2X/Gladius.

Yeah your right Insight does make the lights for Night Ops. Just got off the phone with a contact I have at Insight and there is indeed a version II, he's sending me an email with more information. Once I get the information I'll post more here.

Last edited:

NickDrak

Enlightened

Interesting. If anyone can confirm what emitter this new Typhoon-2 uses, that would be a big help in clearing up its claimed 170 lumen output.

The Seoul P4 upgraded Gladius is rated at 160 "Out-The-Front" lumens max, so it is reasonable that this new Typhoon-2 is using the same or similar (SSC P4) emitter???

Last edited:

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here is the info on the version 2. Unfortunately my contact doesn't know what led is being used in version 2. MSRP will be $229.00. He also told me that Insight hasn't been promoting the light alot just yet.

The NEW H2X Typhoon 2
from Insight Tech-Gear —
taking a great light
and making it
even brighter!
• NEW higher output LED, 170 lumens*
• Up to 3 hours of runtime, at 70% of maximum output
• Brighter hot spot (over 4000 candela) and corona
• Shock-proof LED, never change bulb
• Multiple modes: constant, momentary, strobe, dimming and lock-out
• Digitally managed circuit to control output power and heat
• Hard-coat anodized aluminum construction
• 6.1" L x 1.3" bezel x 1" body
• Weapon mountable
• Waterproof to 20 meters/66ft
• (2) 3 volt, 123 lithium batteries, up to 10 year shelf life
• Low battery indicator
• Limited lifetime warranty
H2H-LBP10-0B01
*Based on LED manufacturer's specifications.

Last edited:

NickDrak

Enlightened

Hmmm:thinking: The *Based on LED manufacturer's specifications at the bottom of the specs is confusing as most LED manufacturers rate their LED's max lumen output at the emitter which would only put this one at around 120 or so "Out-The-Front" lumens??? Perhaps the manufacturer of this LED rates theirs at what is actually coming out of the front of the Typhoon-2 and NOT at the emitter??? This should stir up a whole lot of speculation....

apdb90

Newly Enlightened

Yeah your right Insight does make the lights for Night Ops. Just got off the phone with a contact I have at Insight and there is indeed a version II, he's sending me an email with more information. Once I get the information I'll post more here.

depusm12,

With your contact at Insight, do you know if they will make the H2X II available on a T&E to LE? If you need to, PM me for Creds.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast

As an LEO who sells Police supplies and firearms on the side, I have started to get phone calls from other officers asking about the upgraded Typhoon.
I have not received any notice from any wholesale sources yet. But I'll do some poking around.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok, one of my wholesale sources has it listed in the on line catalog as a Typhoon 2

The wholesale cost is running $20.00 more than the original.