Surefire M2 with KL5 Led

j3bnl

Enlightened
I just bought a Surefire M2 body with a Turbo head but I am interested in buying a KL5 led head for the M2 body.

4l0c1u.jpg
30nkz2c.jpg

I would like to know if you can run this (KL5) with 2 of AW's 3.7v RCR123's without doing any damage to it.
Any help/advice would be appreciated.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, you will kill the KL5 module with the 2xrcr123's. Both the KL4 and KL5 heads use the same LuxV led and drivers. Any more than about 6.5volts will kill it. Don't release the magic smoke or it's all over. :) The older 1 watt and 3 watt KL1 mudules can handle up to 9 volts, but those are the only led modules that can, AFAIK.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember seeing the M2/KT1 combo for sale in B/S/T last week.

It comes with the original M2 bezel right? Just pop in one of those Cree or SSC P60 drop-ins, the output is pretty amazing, considerably more than the KL5!

Those P60 drop-ins can operate comfortably between 3.7v-8.4v, so you can either use 1x17670 or 2xRCR123s.

For less than half the price of a KL5, you can get the 200+ lumen Cree Q5 drop-in.

tussery

Enlightened
Surefire lists the KL5 as a head that can be used on a 9P or C3 so I would say it is safe to use with 3 CR123's which would make it safe to use 2 RCR123's.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Surefire lists the KL5 as a head that can be used on a 9P or C3 so I would say it is safe to use with 3 CR123's which would make it safe to use 2 RCR123's.

You want heat, and bright light use 3X CR123's or two RCR123's. SF says ok, but why I do not know. The KL5 uses a current regulated boost regulator where voltage in from battery is supposed to be lower than the vf of the led. The vf of a lux V LED can be in the range of 6-7 volts. 9 volts, or close to 9 volts will direct drive the led, the circuit will not be regulating until the voltage drops to 6 volts or so.

I have a great KL5, probably has a low vf Lux V, and use it with one 18650, or one 17670, and it boosts the voltage perfectly, running the KL5 in perfect regulation (bounce with light meter). The 3X CR123, or two time LiIon runs the KL5 too hot. Some CPF'ers have had good luck with this configuration and I believe that the vf of their Lux V's is fairly high, allowing the voltage of the 3 cells to sag significantly and allow the KL5 to run in regulation. If I wanted to run a KL5 with more than 6 1/2 volts I would mod mine with a WXXT binned Lux V, the higher the vf, the better.

Bill

shinbone

Newly Enlightened
Do your wallet a favor and get a nice Q5 Cree or U bin SSC P60 LED drop-in for your M2 head.

Surefire may announce some new LED upgrades on or near the end of this month if you want to wait a couple of weeks (they may have a new L5 and KX5 head since their plans for it last year never came to fruition).

shinbone

Newly Enlightened
Do your wallet a favor and get a nice Q5 Cree or U bin SSC P60 LED drop-in for your M2 head.

Surefire may announce some new LED upgrades on or near the end of this month if you want to wait a couple of weeks (they may have a new L5 and KX5 head since their plans for it last year never came to fruition).

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast

If I am wrong about my post, sorry about that... Can anyone else verify one way or the other? It would be nice to use the KL5 with 2xRCR123's, but as previously posted, a drop-in might be the better way to go (and a lot cheaper).

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
If I am wrong about my post, sorry about that... Can anyone else verify one way or the other? It would be nice to use the KL5 with 2xRCR123's, but as previously posted, a drop-in might be the better way to go (and a lot cheaper).

No, you are right. Surefire does recommend KL5 for 3 cell lights. Why I can not fathom except that the head of the KL5 is nice a beefy and I thinking heatsinkinng is ok.

Bill