Does anyone make something like a Fenix with a STANDARD clickie?

victory

Enlightened
Reverse clickie's are clumsy and awkward for tactical use. I want a small backup for my gladius and a P2CE would rock if it wasn't for it's annoying switch. Ever time you light-move-light its on a different setting.

I don't care if it has less features, i don't care if it has a strobe (i've only found the gladius strobe to be effective anyway, everyone else uses too slow a flash). If it just had a high setting and a head twist to a low setting that would be excellent.

Start the suggestions

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Fenix is going to be bringing back the L1T v2. Like you I do not like UI of the multifunction models due to accidental mode changing. Take a look at the Nitecore Defender Infinity (1 AA as well). Both the L1T v2 and Nitecore function as a simple two stage: loosen bezel-low, tighten-high.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you mean when you say that you want something like a Fenix? Just saying that you want something like a Fenix doesnt really say that much, they have small 5mm nichia twisty lights to big hefty tactical lights. They have a pretty extencive line of lights...
And some of the Fenix's allready have a forward as mentioned.

+1 on the Nitecore DI on a good AA-light with forward clicky.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Reverse clickie's are clumsy and awkward for tactical use. I want a small backup for my gladius and a P2CE would rock if it wasn't for it's annoying switch. Ever time you light-move-light its on a different setting.

I don't care if it has less features, i don't care if it has a strobe (i've only found the gladius strobe to be effective anyway, everyone else uses too slow a flash). If it just had a high setting and a head twist to a low setting that would be excellent.

Start the suggestions

No idea what you're talking about with the "light move light" thing... It resets when it's off more than 1s or so.. And if you're using it "tacticooly" you'd probably leave it on Turbo anyway, so no worries there ever.

Kato

Enlightened
No idea what you're talking about with the "light move light" thing...

Low light combat doctrine dictates momentarily lighting an area with a burst of light, blacking out, then moving. That way, if the adversary shoots at the light, the operative won't be there anymore.

victory

Enlightened
Just buy the L1T v2.

Any chance of them making a P-series light with that switch. I'd like to use CR123's for compatibility with all my other lights as opposed to having to add a second kind of battery to my kit. Not to mention i get CR123's way cheaper than lithium AA's.

What do you mean when you say that you want something like a Fenix? Just saying that you want something like a Fenix doesnt really say that much, they have small 5mm nichia twisty lights to big hefty tactical lights. They have a pretty extencive line of lights...
And some of the Fenix's allready have a forward as mentioned.

If you actually read my post you would see i was looking for something like a P2CE in, um, the second sentence.

No idea what you're talking about with the "light move light" thing... It resets when it's off more than 1s or so.. And if you're using it "tacticooly" you'd probably leave it on Turbo anyway, so no worries there ever.

If you don't know the TTP's, then this probably isn't the right thread to post your opinion in. You probably know a lot of things, but in this case, you're out of your lane. Quick "am i out of my lane" test for future reference: Did my post start, "I don't know what you're talking about"? Did i proceed to guess about how you use your light anyway? If you answered yes to both of these questions...

Last edited:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
The momentary L1T V2 switch will fit inside the P series cap. Not much chance of finding one by itself. You could buy both lights and exchange the switches. Better hurry up though, the momentaries are being put on hold till Fenix finds another supplier. Some of the dealers other than Fenix-Store still have the V2 left.

NickDrak

Enlightened
So it sounds like a push ON momentary is what you are looking for??? If so, then the Surefire L1 fits the bill perfectly. Surefire also has the E1B "Backup" which should be released soon after the Shot Show. It is brighter then the L1, and the tailcap functions differently, but it still has the momentary push ON feature like the L1.

victory

Enlightened
So it sounds like a push ON momentary is what you are looking for??? If so, then the Surefire L1 fits the bill perfectly. Surefire also has the E1B "Backup" which should be released soon after the Shot Show. It is brighter then the L1, and the tailcap functions differently, but it still has the momentary push ON feature like the L1.

Correct, a push on momentary. Standard clickies offer this.

The surefire clickie's are fragile and i've seen multiple failures. A friend of mine had an e-series light and went through 3 tailcaps in a manner of weeks, one cap failed within minutes of installation. Until i'm satisfied that surefire has addressed those issues, they're out of the running.

Secondly, i prefer the "straight tube" design for this light as it would allow more carry options.

victory

Enlightened
The momentary L1T V2 switch will fit inside the P series cap. Not much chance of finding one by itself. You could buy both lights and exchange the switches. Better hurry up though, the momentaries are being put on hold till Fenix finds another supplier. Some of the dealers other than Fenix-Store still have the V2 left.

What is the reason they are seeking another supplier? If it's a quality control issue that would make it unacceptable.

Do they by any chance just sell the tube from the P2?

Last edited:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the reason they are seeking another supplier? If it's a quality control issue that would make it unacceptable.

Do they by any chance just sell the tube from the P2?

Here is what 4sevens said about the clicky.

"Also due to many requests, we will start carrying the L1T/L2T v2.0 again
but without the tactical switches. They are sourcing a better switch
so there may be something down the line in a month or so."

The tube is sold with cap at the Fenix-Store.

NickDrak

Enlightened
Correct, a push on momentary. Standard clickies offer this.

The surefire clickie's are fragile and i've seen multiple failures. A friend of mine had an e-series light and went through 3 tailcaps in a manner of weeks, one cap failed within minutes of installation. Until i'm satisfied that surefire has addressed those issues, they're out of the running.

Secondly, i prefer the "straight tube" design for this light as it would allow more carry options.

The Surefire L1's tailcap is not a clicky. It is a two stage LOW/HIGH push for momentary, twist for constant on tailcap assembly. While I do prefer the standard SF click-on tailcaps (like the Z49) for my duty lights as they have proven themselves to be 100% reliable over many years of service for ME, the tailcap on the L1 is an excellent choice for tactical applications, and has also proven itself to be reliable on other Surefire models over the years. Here is a interactive from SF's website to clarify the operation of the L1's switch: http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/pgname/lightL1/strfnbr/6

The new switch assembly that will be debuting in the yet to be released E1B "Backup" is just that, a completely new design from Surefire, so its durability/reliability is yet to be seen.

Yes, there was an issue with the E series clicky tailcaps in the past, but it has since been rectified from all reports.

While clicky tailcaps do have more things that can go bad on them, as far as a rear/tailcap mounted click-on switch goes, Surefire is the most reliable currently available in this particular configuration. The Gladius also had some serious issues with their tailcaps on the first few runs that has since been completely rectified as well. Many people on this forum like to bring up old, resolved issues in an attempt to smear Surefire and others reputations. (Not saying this is your intent at all, as your experience is YOUR experience) Anytime clicky tailcaps come up, you will find that the same people tend to throw the since resolved E-series tailcap failures into the pot to stir things up.

If the durability of clicky tailcaps is a big concern of yours, I suggest you avoid them completely as the Chinese light companies issues will only add to your concerns. The NON-clicky tailcap assemblies on Surefire lights such a the L1, L2 etc. are as solid & reliable as can be.

Last edited:

victory

Enlightened
good to know the issues were resolved.

And no, it's not a smear, i use and recommend surefire lights extensively.

victory

Enlightened
Here is what 4sevens said about the clicky.

"Also due to many requests, we will start carrying the L1T/L2T v2.0 again
but without the tactical switches. They are sourcing a better switch
so there may be something down the line in a month or so."

The tube is sold with cap at the Fenix-Store.

That says to me that there were QC issues with the current switch.

NickDrak

Enlightened
good to know the issues were resolved.

And no, it's not a smear, i use and recommend surefire lights extensively.

I didnt think you were trying to smear SF at all, I just wanted to bring it up as many others just love to do just that. And yes, the Fenix "Tactical" forward clicky switches had a whole lot of issues. Hopefully they will get them cleared up as Fenix seems to have a lot of potential if they would put more focus on QC and R&D instead of flooding the market with the latest & greatest bin LED light technology.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
Low light combat doctrine dictates momentarily lighting an area with a burst of light, blacking out, then moving. That way, if the adversary shoots at the light, the operative won't be there anymore.
And how many people exactly do that sort of thing with that light?

I for my part was pleasantly surprised by the gui, and realized that it would suck with a forward-style clicky.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, there was an issue with the E series clicky tailcaps in the past, but it has since been rectified from all reports.

While clicky tailcaps do have more things that can go bad on them, as far as a rear/tailcap mounted click-on switch goes, Surefire is the most reliable currently available in this particular configuration. The Gladius also had some serious issues with their tailcaps on the first few runs that has since been completely rectified as well. Many people on this forum like to bring up old, resolved issues in an attempt to smear Surefire and others reputations. (Not saying this is your intent at all, as your experience is YOUR experience) Anytime clicky tailcaps come up, you will find that the same people tend to throw the since resolved E-series tailcap failures into the pot to stir things up.

If the durability of clicky tailcaps is a big concern of yours, I suggest you avoid them completely as the Chinese light companies issues will only add to your concerns. The NON-clicky tailcap assemblies on Surefire lights such a the L1, L2 etc. are as solid & reliable as can be.

I'm just curious what kind of issues you're talking about when it comes to "chinese" manufacturers and if you have any facts to back up that statement with? Or is it the old assumption that everything chinese made is crap? Cause there are a lot of different chinese manufacturers, and they differ a lot when it comes to quality and product line. Makes about as much sense to say that all the american companies have the same issues.
And Surefire clearly has a lot of issues with their clicky tailcaps(the twistys seems bomb proof though). Two big and very statistically sound polls shows it, and they don't fare better against a chinese manufacturer(Fenix).

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/164322
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/178876
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/179206

And yet another recent thread with disgruntled Surefire clicky owners.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/182512

I'm not trying to badmouth them, since they make great lights. But everything shows that they don't make the best clickies, and nothing shows that they make better clickies than "chinese" manufacturers.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix seems to have a lot of potential if they would put more focus on QC and R&D instead of flooding the market with the latest & greatest bin LED light technology.
Fenix does have alot of potential, and thier quality control is getting better. Sure we still get the odd DOA light, but thats only because they are in such higih demand that QC might be having a hard time catching up. If the reviews by greenLED and everyone else are any indication, the T1 is of VERY high quality, with the only possible failure point being the switch, which only failed after extremly abusive tests.And we do kind of like that fenix comes out with brighter lights every few months dont we..:nana: haha..well okay some of us do...
and im sorry but i have to agree with lobo, you cant smear chinese manufacturors just because you love surefire. I get your point that people bring up old issues with surefire, but i also think that its unfair to say that chinese brands like are unreliable JUST BEACAUSE they are chinese made.

That says to me that there were QC issues with the current switch.
Thats exactly what 4sevens is saying, THATS why they are changing it...so i dont see why youre complaining.

Crenshaw

victory

Enlightened
Thats exactly what 4sevens is saying, THATS why they are changing it...so i dont see why youre complaining.

Where am I complaining? I just wanted to know if there were switch problems since that is a disqualifier for me. There are, ergo, the fenix is disqualified.