Silence of the Lambs

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw Silence of the Lambs on TV last night. When the serial killer turned off the basement lights and donned nightvision goggles, all I could think was why isn't Clarice (Jodi Foster) carrying a Surefire, LX or something? You never know when you're going to need one.
shocked.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe it would have made the film a lot shorter if she'd just used a light and blown him away ?

The E2 is FBI standard issue for undercover agents. They are issued with the Z2 for "normal" duties.

Fact !!

lightlover

Darell

Flashaholic
Hmmm. And how does a foriegner know about the inner workings of our elite investigative agency? Is there more about you that we need to know, Jahn????

Blikbok

Enlightened
Heh. My GF now knows about my Flashaholism, and she forcibly restrained me from talking to a cop because he had a SF Z2 and I had my 6z with me.
frown.gif

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, when the movie came out (1990) SF wasn't a very big or well known company, and secondly, the book's timeline, if i remember, was the eraly to mid '80's...

--dan

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heck, a minimag would have been better than nothing. But we are talking Hollywood here. Hollywood and reality are only casual acqaintances.
grin.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, when the movie came out (1990) SF wasn't a very big or well known company, and secondly, the book's timeline, if i remember, was the eraly to mid '80's...

Could`ve twunked him round the head with a 6 D Maglite?
grin.gif
tongue.gif

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *something ridiculous ?:
The E2 is FBI standard issue for undercover agents. They are issued with the Z2 for "normal" duties. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, stupid question, but what is the point of the Z2 and D2 and C2 when you have the M2?

-john

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let`s see if I remember this right....

The Z2 is a "classic" CombatLight with adjustable grip rings, to allow it to be set up for the most comfortable and secure "Rogers/SureFire" grip.

The D2 is an evolution of the original 6P- no CombatGrip rings, but it does have a pocket clip.

The C2 is a combination of Z2 and D2 to make a light with CombatGrip and a pocket clip. The grip ring is not adjustable however. Added durability is given by the optional hard anodize coating.

The M2 is the latest in the line and improves on the C2 by adding a shock-isolation bezel to protect the lamp against firerm recoil and the odd drop and bump.

SIS adds bulk to the bezel, unwanted pocket clips can snag on stuff and not everyone likes/needs the Rogers grip capability. Hence for the time being, there is still a place for all four lights- and the original 6P which will certainly live on too.
All models now have the Pyrex lens/lockout tail cap/anti roll as standard however when the variations were originally launched, they may have introduced lockouts or pyrex lenses as an added benefit for that particular model over the others. In time one or two of these may get dropped but who knows what other lights they will have introdiced by then?

wink.gif
grin.gif

Blikbok

Enlightened
I'm guessing the C, Z, and D models sell well in bulk to agencies. Buy only the features you need, and multiply the savings by the units purchased. I know of American Police departments which use more politics than sense in selecting *duty handguns* so we can't expect them to see the benefit from issuing $100 lithium flashlights to every officer.
Plus, I know my local PD gives the officer a choice in some gear-- because the officer pays the dept. back for the stuff in the first few years of service. So I'm sure plenty of cops might opt for the cheapest flashlight option when starting out.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RonM:
Hollywood and reality are only casual acqaintances.
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haw! Now that is a classic line!