Q5 upgrade for Lumapower M1?

psyrens

Newly Enlightened
I've been away from CPF quite a while and found Cree Q5 kicks the older versions of crees (am I right?)
I couldn't resist clicking to buy Fenix T1... :oops:

Here's the question.
I have first generation of Lumapower M1 with Cree.
It's very nice light and I don't want it to be stuck in closet by the new Fenix.
Is there any Q5 upgrade part from Lumapower for my M1?

I've searched but I might miss the thread. Please direct me if I missed.
Thank you!

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been away from CPF quite a while and found Cree Q5 kicks the older versions of crees (am I right?)
I couldn't resist clicking to buy Fenix T1... :oops:

Here's the question.
It's very nice light and I don't want it to be stuck in closet by the new Fenix.

I've searched but I might miss the thread. Please direct me if I missed.
Thank you!

If you are handy with a soldering iron, it is a user friendly upgrade. The LED sits on a machined pedestal, and has the leads soldered onto the bottom contacts.

rolling

Enlightened
If you are handy with a soldering iron, it is a user friendly upgrade. The LED sits on a machined pedestal, and has the leads soldered onto the bottom contacts.

But make sure you get a round pcb with 15x1.9mm. I had a 20x2mm star pcb. It was quite some work to make it fit :) . I even screwed up the centering for the smooth reflector, but strangly the op is perfect centered.

Edit: Did read to quick, mine is a M1-T. Do they differ in that aspect?

Last edited:

psyrens

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, datiLED and Rolling,
Problem is...your suggestions are too technical already for me...:confused:

ynggrsshppr

Newly Enlightened
I also am interested in this. I have the original M1 and the LED module has a plastic covering over the Cree board. Does this just pop right out?

Niteowl

Enlightened
Here's the question.

I've been wanting to upgrade my early M1 XRE also. Go to CPFMP and post in Lumapower forum HERE and let Ricky know you are looking for upgraded modules also. The more he hears it, the better I would think. He remarked about a possible three level UI being used.

I have a module I can sacrafice. I just tried prying the black "disc" off, stubborn little thing. I'll try later when I have the right tools and patience to do it with out cutting myself. I'll post back what I find out.

rolling

Enlightened
I just tried prying the black "disc" off, stubborn little thing. I'll try later when I have the right tools and patience to do it with out cutting myself. I'll post back what I find out.

I hat to bore 2 small holes in it. But it broke anyway. So be careful.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also am interested in this. I have the original M1 and the LED module has a plastic covering over the Cree board. Does this just pop right out?

It does pop out with a little help. Drill a small hole in the ring, between the LED and the edge. Use a drywall screw, to get a grip in the hole and pull.

If the LED is on a star, you just need to remove and replace it (with a star of similar diameter and thickness). Use the centering ring to hold it down after you adhere the star onto the seat area.

The LED on the original M1 is sitting on a machined pedestal (not on a star), and the lead wires are soldered from the bottom. With a little pressure the LED will pop off. Unsolder the LED. Clean the seat area, and wipe with alcohol. Use some paste flux to prep the contacts on the underside of the LED, and solder the leads like the original. Test the fit the LED onto the pedestal, and test the LED briefly to ensure that it works. If everything looks good, mix some Arctic Alumina, or other thermal adhesive and apply to the pedestal. Set the LED onto the pedestal, centered as best as possible. Install the black centering ring over the LED, and pop it into place in the head. Check that the LED is seated evenly, and not tilting off to the side. Allow the AA to dry completely, and test the LED again. Reassemble the reflector and the head. Enjoy the bright!