3-Cree DX module?

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one living in my cutdown D Mag running off of two 18650's. The module is very well built and the tint of each LED is the same. It threads directly into the bezel. I'm not sure what kind of runtime we can get from these. Great little module for a very reasonable price. I think these would benefit from some lite orange peel on the reflectors.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
I snapped a few quick shots of the module. My Mag does not have the stock switch in it so I'm not sure how it would work with it in. I have a switch so I'll try to figure something out. It appears that the center spring (+) may fit into the stock socket...:thinking:

Threads on the top edge that allow it to fit into the bezel.

Look Ma no hands!

Blurry beam shot with all three Cree's lit up.

Monkeyboab

Newly Enlightened
So has anyone managed to fit one of these in an ordinary D mag ie. stock switch and not cut down?

Rob

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
This module fits well in a Mag head. I've got one in a 2D Mag using 6AA batteries (2 3AA-to-1D adapters from Kaidomain)...4 cells probably won't power this thing up. I just did the common Mag mod where I cut the tower off of the stock switch and soldered wires on the positive and negative connections. I also added addition metal on the inside of the head for better themal management. Personally I like the smooth reflectors as I like the good throw that they provide...and I never really minded the "ugly" beam pattern Crees have with smooth reflectors. Crees have fantastic throw in deep smooth reflectors, but people seem to favor stippled reflectors with them. I guess it boils down to preference, but since I've never subscribed to the concept of being a "white wall hunter", the output a Cree has with a smooth reflector is perfectly fine to me. Anyway, this module probably one of the easier Tri-LED mods you could do to a Mag.

kevinm

Enlightened
I have one of these is a 3D Maglite running on, well, 3D's. Just grind off the threads and it drops right in. Remove some ano from the head inside and you get a current path. Works very well.

On mine, there's not a lot of difference between having 2 LED's lit and having 3 lit. Should be 50% more light, but I'm only seeing 10-20% more (on the lux meter). So for those of you that have 7.2V or higher setups, is there a big jump between 2 and 3 LED's lit? Also, have any of you tried more than the recommended 9V? Id like to run 3 3.0V RCR123's in it, but the initial is 3.3-3.6 each or 3 sets of 4AA's (but that's 3.6x3). That gets a bit over the 9V max. Can it take it? Anyone getting 500 lumens out of theirs?

Thanks,
Kevin

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheers for the update Plasma

I've no doubt you are right, just typical then that they've dropped the price and show it as available!

$25.78 price dropped! Typically ships in 2 to 5 business days*

I received one of these yesterday, I'm going to try and get in a 2D Mag using 6AA's. Does anyone know what Bin the Cree's are in these? Just wondering if it's worth upgrading to higher bin, say Q4, Q5 or R2?

Also I see there's a single emitter module for the WF500, has anyone tried one of those in a D mag ?

Monkeyboab

Newly Enlightened
I recieved mine today so they must of had a few left. Now I just need to sorse another mag from somewhere just put ssc's in two yesterday:sigh:

Rob

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recieved mine today so they must of had a few left. Now I just need to sorse another mag from somewhere just put ssc's in two yesterday:sigh:

Rob

I don't think so, they now are on back order according to the product page on DX, not due in until 18th of March. Which is a real pain in the backside as I wanted to order a few:(

I've got one of the single emitter drop in's on route. I'm going to try and put it in a 2D Mag, maybe change the driver to a boost driver.......

If you're after a 2D Mag have a look at 7dayshop.com, good prices (for UK!), but bear in nind the P&P is around £4 (per order).

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you were to run one of these DX 3 Cree modules using 6 AA's, what kind of current draw would you get using 1, 2 or 3 emitters?? I'm trying to work out runtime if I were to use Sanyo Eneloop (2000mAh) rechargeable batteries ??
If anyone has made any current measurements I would be interested to know what you found.
Cheers

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hiya Monkey,
Yes please, I've taken some current readings at the tailcap, but I think somethings adrift:confused:.

I got around
170mA for all three,
155mA for two and
141mA for 1 emitter.
Which don't make sense to me. I know it's running at 7.2 volts, but I'm sure the current draw should be more than that?

The problem is I need to buy some good battries, I'm running on some old naff no name been around for years things. It might just be my rubbish cells.

Cheers

Monkeyboab

Newly Enlightened
Dont really know what your doing there I got-

650mA for 1
1100mA for 2
1500mA for 3

My batteries aren't fully charged I've used them a good bit but hopes this gives you a decent idea of what they are running at. I thought they might be pushed a bit harder given the brightness. My six batteries are still showing 7.4v on the meter through two KD adaptors.

Rob

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great big Cheers for that.
So I have calculated that on
1 led 650mA= approx 3 hrs
2 leds 1100mA=approx 1hr 48 mins
and 3 leds 1500mA=approx 1hr 20 mins
( if using Sanyo Eneloop 2000mAh).

Dont really know what your doing there

I think I know whats wrong with my readings. The DDM I'm using has two current ranges. Up to 500mA, and 10A! To go between the two you have to swap the lead into another socket.
So rubbish battries+dumb DDM = wrong readings.
I might take it to work and borrow a bench power supply at lunch. Feed it 7.2V and see what current it draws.

Thanks again, I'll update tomrrow how I get on.....

Monkeyboab

Newly Enlightened
Goodluck with your tests, your meter sounds the same as mine. I've not recharged my batteries since I made my light and i've had it on lots at fires, mostly on one led though so as not to overheat it:huh: Would your runtimes not be longer using 6x2000mA cells. would you not get 1hr 20mins if you only had 2000mA total instead of 6x 2000mA 12,000mA or does it not work like that?

Rob

Last edited: