mod for 3.6/4.5 volt mag 2d?

santza

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys i am new here, "santza" from Helsinki Finland. Now i am asking some help for start. I have magled 2d, lots of varta 2100mah nimh ready2use AA:s, and size of 2 D cells battery holder for 6 AA:s that gives 3.6v on nimhs or 4.5v on alkalines.

First of all, I live in finland so shipping something from usa to here will cost a lot and there is also presumeably 22% VAT added so we´ll forget that. I'm looking for some easy mod that would improve beam performance vs. stock magled that i am running in 3.6volts nominal (works great altough). I tried already HPR53 4V, 0,85A halogen bulb that is rated at 60 lumens. Well that sucked a lot. original 2d krypton on nimhs was actually better, even when I used fresh 1 day off the charger 1,35V measured nimh:s

Any ideas? I need both, flood and spot beam. original magled's focusing abilities are not enough for me (the flood blackhole on center you know)

Maybe some kind of diffusor/lens that can give both good flood and spot beam? Or a decent high effiency bulb? I'd like to use the original magled module and battery holder mentioned above because it works so good.

I have also access to all original maglite spare parts because i run electronics department in a department store and we sell maglites.

sorry about probably bad language ;P

Marduke

Flashaholic
A 3-cell LED dropin, and a textured reflector should help a lot. You can texture the reflector yourself, or buy an aluminum one already textured.

santza

Newly Enlightened
A 3-cell LED dropin, and a textured reflector should help a lot. You can texture the reflector yourself, or buy an aluminum one already textured.

okay, is there a significant brightness difference between 2d and 3d led modules? I thought they are almost the same. I think i'll go with texturizing the reflector myself, how it can be done? Would magcharger's glass lense increase performance? I can get reflectors/lenses free from importer.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The 2D module only runs on 3v. the 3D module runs on 4.5v.

Here is a relative simple mod you can do with the drop-in to double the output.

Here's a cheaper source for the LED. DX has shipping included in the price, but it might take a month to get the product to you from the time you order.

A glass lens shouldn't increase the performance too much. You would have to get a anti reflective coated lens for a difference.

santza

Newly Enlightened
Okay I textured stock reflector with spray metallic bright laquer. Texturing turned out to improve performance in flood beam, however throw capability was decreased quite a lot.

Next Im gonna test some cheap 50mm magnifying glass lens with stock (not textured) reflector, hope to see both good flood and throw.

santza

Newly Enlightened
Well i managed to modify the holder to series connected, so now i get 7,2 volts. The question is, which bulb to use? I can get 6D magnum star xenon or 5D magnum star krypton (old model) Which one should i choose?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The 5D one(not the Xenon one, because I heard those will burn out when overdriven).

The bulb will be overdriven, providing a whiter and brighter beam.