Inova T4 Rechargable Battery

Confederate

Enlightened
I had been looking for a replacement battery for my rechargable Inova T4 (533-074) with no success. (There did seem to be one for the newer model, but that battery was advertised as NOT being able to work with the older T4.) True, it can be argued these lights were a bit long in the tooth, but battery prices even for the newer model were a mite much.Anyway, the Inova battery was large, so I compared it to an 18650 rechargable, which was significantly smaller than the Inova. Still, I was surprised to find that the 18650 fit just fine into the T4 tube (loose, but with no rattle), and a bit short, but made up for by the T4's longish springs.The good news is that it works fine and recharges without a hitch. Now I'm wondering if the 18650 can power the newer Inova as well. Anyone try it?

Last edited:

Confederate

Enlightened
Thanks, Dan.Do you know if the Strion takes 18650 cells?Also, does anyone know what the incompatibly is between the first T4 (rings) and the subsequent T4? Both lights look the same, except when looking into the lens, which has rings and a slight yellow tint. Batteries for the latter specifically state they're not compatible with the earlier T4s. Are the voltages different?As an aside, are the T4s pretty obsolete now with the folks on this board? I think Inova's still behind the 8-ball on LED technology.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the rundown:

The old T4 with TIROS used a Li-Ion cell (18650) in the standard configuration.

The new T4 with reflector uses a Li-Ion cell with both terminals on the positive end. This light can also use the Strion cell, though the STrion cell is a tiny bit longer.

They use different charger bases (and there's rumors that the new T4 that's coming won't be compatible with either of these charger bases as well).

-dan

Confederate

Enlightened
Hmmm. What's the power output expected to be? Some of these lights are getting quite powerful. Still, Inova hasn't been cranking out high-output devices.

The light's pretty big in its original configuration. I'm glad I can just slip a 18650 into mine and she's good as new.

Confederate

Enlightened
Hmmm. What's the power output expected to be? Some of these lights are getting quite powerful. Still, Inova hasn't been cranking out high-output devices.

The light's pretty big in its original configuration. I'm glad I can just slip a 18650 into mine and she's good as new.

Confederate

Enlightened

Confederate

Enlightened
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.