What the heck kinda bug is this-

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
fc7a1483.jpg
fc7a14b2.jpg

Anyone know just what kind of bug this is? Flying ant? termite? Doesn't look like an ant, but some of them were sporting wings- Overall length was about 1/4 inch, found a bunch of them in a room at work.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully it isn't crawling out of your house. I'd guess termite too, although there there are thousands of bugs that look somewhat similar.

Here is a good link for pictures of various insects:

GOOD BUG PICTURES

B@rt

Flashaholic
Yup, looks like a termite. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

termite.gif
capenterant.gif

Termite: Front and back wings exactly same size, No waistline, Straight antennae.

Ant: Elbowed antennae, Narrow waistline, Front wings much longer than back wings.

Hope this helps,

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Looks like a termite to me too.
If some of them have wings, that would probably mean there's a whole s**tload of them hiding in the timbers or underground, along with at least one queen.

At least they aren't cockroaches - I hate those SOBs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you guys are right- I'd better find out what they should do about it, because there was a lot of 'em around! Strange they were hanging about near the sink drains and middle of the room.. they didn't seem to have much purpose to their actions, but then again, I don't know if termites usually do. I've only seen ants before, generally..
Kinda yucky, these.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those that are not aware of this (most aren't), termites and cockroaches are related. Ants and hornets are related. Ants only have wings for mating, and then only the new Queens and breeding males have them. The males die after mating, while the Queen loses hers and she starts a new nest.

So, when you see ants with wings, it is mating season for them.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps it's time to call the exterminator. Make that definately. Whatever it is it's dusgusting. I have a near phobic fear of bugs/insects etc.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

but why the strange termite behavior? if they have been poisoned, maybe you should find out with what..?

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they are migrating. I am no entemoligist, but at certain times of the year I think that a portion of a colony will swarm around and look for a new spot to nest. That's how they spread. I think.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
hmmm ... spreading bugs all over the place ... multiply ... multiply ... zillions of little critters in your room!
Wingerr, you'll never run out of food this way!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lurker, I believe you are right. The behavior is called swarming. They split off from the colony and start a new one.

Mike 161

Newly Enlightened
It looks like a queen subterranean termite. Several years ago, a had a large swarm of those things inside my enclosed patio. The male ("king") and female ("queen") termites swarm around this time, to mate and start new colonies. The male/female subterranean termites are black, and loose their wings after mating. These type of termites live in the ground, and come up to feed on wood. You need to contact an exterminator ASAP.

Mike

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I looked around today, and didn't seem much trace of them any more- only a few squashed ones on the floor, probably from being stepped on. Either they went back into hiding or ?.

Luckily this isn't my HOUSE, it's a room at work- I'd be quite a bit more concerned if it were! I don't think there's much wood in the construction here, probably steel and cement blocks, but there has been a chronic roof leak in the area for the past few months. Maybe the dampness made it extra inviting for them.. A coworker said he noticed them flying out when he opened a box with some old law books that someone decided to leave for permanent storage there- maybe they eat books too? Hopefully they all disappeared after getting indigestion from them- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Found this while looking up termite info- Termite parts