Solarforce Q5 P60 drop-in review

Lost Time

Newly Enlightened
I just got my Solarforce (ebay generic) P60 in the mail tonight, and wanted to share my observations.

First, I must say the build quality is suprisingly good. I'm always weary of buying things off ebay, especially anything involving electronics, especially when it comes direct from HK. But for $20 shipped, it was more of a science experiment than anything else.

I'll gladly take some pics of the module if everyone wants to see it, but to be honest, it looks like every other generic drop-in we've all seen pictures of. There is nothing remarkable about it, it simply says "Solarforce" on a band around the reflector. I specifically ordered one of the Q5 single mode variants. I have plenty of multi-mode lights, I wanted a simple on/off module.

It was advertised as: (taken directly from ebay)

Brand New CREE Q5 XR-E 270 Lumens LED Lamp Assembly compatible with Surefire, G&P and Ultrafire Flashlight
Features:
~ Highest quality selected.
~ CREE Q5 XR-E 270 lumens LED Lamp Assembly with a life of 50,000 hours.
~ Aluminum Reflector.
~ Compatible with:
1. Surefire: 6p, 9p, C2, D2, D3, E2, G2, M2, Z2, Z3 Flashlight.
2. G&P: G&P T-6, T-9, R12.
3. Ultrafire: G60, G90

~ Operating Voltage: 3.0V - 9.0V
~ Working Current: 450mA - 600mA

I promptly stuck it in a Brinkmann Maxfire LX I had waiting for it. It replaces the stock reflector/bulb unit perfectly. It fits both with and without the outer spring which is removable. If you put it in without the other spring, it simply rests against the metal sleeve inside the Brinkmann body. With the outer spring in place, it keeps a really nice tension between the sleeve on the bottom, and the lens on the top. I decided to keep the outer spring on, as I like the thought of the added "shock resistence" between the body sleeve and the module.

The reflector itself is much deeper than the stock one. It has a nice light orange peel surface, and the emitter sits pretty well centered at the bottom. The dome is perfectly centered, the emitter itself is just a hair off center. Not enough to bother me. The reflector/emitter screws on and back off of the base. Not sure why you'd need to remove it, but you can if you want.

I had a couple other lights to compare it to, but the obvious choice was a P3D Q5 I had. I figured those two would make for the best comparison. They both were using new cr123 batteries, so everything was fairly equal. The color of both beams is identical; just a faint tint of purplish-blue that I've come to expect from the Q5s. Next to an incan, or a Reb100, it looks incredibly purple, but all by itself, it's quite a nice color.

The hotspot is just a tad smaller than the P3D, but with the larger reflector, that's not a big surprise. It's raining pretty hard outside so it's difficult to get a real good sense of throw, but they seem about equal. I expected the Maxfire with the deeper reflector and more concentrated hotspot would clearly throw further, and it very well may. But for now, in the rain, they seem farily equal. Inside the house on a white wall, they look identical in overall output, again with just a tighter hotspot on the drop-in.

So, long story short, I'm entirely pleased with my purchase. It met and exceeded every expectation I had. For $20, I couldn't be happier.

If anyone has any questions about it, please feel free to ask. If anyone is really dying for pics, I can do that to. Beamshots might be a little tough though, I don't have the proper equipment. But I'm guessing by now, everyone has an idea what these look like.

Last edited:

m1ruf

Newly Enlightened
I have one of these on my way, glad you like it.....

trek551

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I received my Solarforce L2 with Q5 drop-in 2 days ago. I also have a P3D Q5 and would say they show equal brightness but p3d is smoother with wider coronna and center. The beams compliment each other very well!

I'd like to find a lighter weight version of my solarforce.

toadman

Newly Enlightened
I have a Surefire 6P LED light. Is this dropin any significant improvement over it? Seen these drop-ins on E-bay & was wondering if they were worth it?

Russell

Gladius01

Enlightened
I have a Surefire 6P LED light. Is this dropin any significant improvement over it? Seen these drop-ins on E-bay & was wondering if they were worth it?

Russell
I bought one in e-bay about 6-7 months ago and quite please, as a result I bought another one, so now I have both of my P6 with this upgrade. Value of money and until now I have no problem with it. :thumbsup:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I looked this one up and saw that solarforce now do an R2 at 290 lumens!

Solarforce seems to highly exaggerate their output numbers. My Solarforce L600, isn't even half the claimed output. More like a Surefire M4 LOLA but with more spill. The beam is oval beyond belief, and the tailcap is a joke.

prime77

Enlightened
I have had my SolarForce Q5 drop-in for a couple of weeks now and I really like it. Here are some shots compared to my 6P LED.
Picture2856Small.jpg

Reference shot
Picture2839Small.jpg

6P LED
Picture2924Small.jpg

SolarForce Q5

McLux

Newly Enlightened
What is the brightness of the Solarforce on 3.6 volts? I want to use one with a 18650 battery.

Wolf359

Enlightened
The solarforce Q5 using 1 x 18650 cell i have is brighter than any of my P4 dropins using 2 x RCR123. the same Q5 with 2 x RCR123's is only alittle brighter but runs very hot and lasts about 60 minutes, with the 18650 cell it runs cool and lasts just over 4 hours sofar . That was with a trustfire 2500mAh from dx sku.5790. the body is an ultrafire wf-501b i got off ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=320211416095&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since we're on this topic, I'm curious to know the differences between the Solarforce Cree P4, Q5 and R2 drop-ins:

Assuming all being powered by 1x18650, a Cree R2 will be significantly brighter than the Q5 which in turn is brighter than a P4 right?

Is there such thing as a Cree R1 yet?

max52

Newly Enlightened
I ordered one 5 mode from SCOPEANDLASER on E-Bay. The communication and shipping was great. The drop-in performed as other WC Q5s I have. I ordered another one, and the bin was not WC. It had a warm tint, as compared to the nice cool WC. The point is that there is considerable variation in dealing the the bargain Chinese vendors. I would do business with SCOPEANDLASER again because the price is right, the commmuncation good, and the shipping prompt. He beats the heck out of Kai, and DealExtreme.

(IT MAY BE AN R2)

Last edited:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered one 5 mode from SCOPEANDLASER on E-Bay. The communication and shipping was great. The drop-in performed as other WC Q5s I have. I ordered another one, and the bin was not WC. It had a warm tint, as compared to the nice cool WC. The point is that there is considerable variation in dealing the the bargain Chinese vendors. I would do business with SCOPEANDLASER again because the price is right, the commmuncation good, and the shipping prompt. He beats the heck out of Kai, and DealExtreme.

(IT MAY BE AN R2)

That may have to do with the way they buy emitters from Cree...since they get them at a really low price, they probably get a mix of bins and tints (usually if you specify exactly what bin and tint you want, the price can be significantly higher). Since they probably figure a mojority of the emitters will be Q5 WC, that's what they put for the description of their drop-ins.