inova 24/7 for fire use

Mihlrad

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, hows it going.

I just won my fire departments high percentage award 2nd place. Basically the department lets me buy anything emergency related up to 150 dollars. So far i have decided to buy a whelen ulf44 led flasher module (i am in the process of building my own light stick, its 3' long 6 led heads, if anyone is curious i will post pics) Anyway, i also am gonna get a smith and wesson first responder knife, so im at like 90 dollars so far, leaving me with 60 that i thought what the hell il get a light with.

While searching through lights, i noticed the inova 24/7 light

It seems like it would be perfect for what i need, i did a forum search and read some reviews but i would like to hear first hand from people who have it.

My department responds to alot of motor vehicle accidents on major highways with very careless drivers.(they got into an accident as it is...)

So, since i just got new turnout gear that if i remember correctly has a few extra loops for gizmos and gadgets to attach to it. I thought that the inova 24/7 would be great for making myself noticeable, directing traffic and for a decent light in dark places every so often, that wont disrupt peoples eyesight in a fire.

What do you guys think, is this a good light for me?

1 what

Enlightened
Hi Mihlrad,
I've got a 24/7 in my car and my daughters car. I've had them for some years and have no complaints. While they are not the brighest white light around they are more than enough to change tyers etc. The real attraction in my mind are the flashing "beacon" modes. Attention grabbing and can be seen from a great distance. To make it more attractive the built in stainless steel clip is large enough to be useful on clothing without falling off and you can also fit the magnetic base which lets you "stick" it onto any (Fe) metalic surface such as the back or roof of the car. The 123 primary battery gives very long (years) of storage life plus hours of full output beacon use. For ease of use I keep mine in the car with the magnetic base attached. There used to be a big spread in price depending where you purchased them so it's probably worth shopping around. Make sure you buy one with the full accessory kit rather than the 24/7 module alone.

Mihlrad

Newly Enlightened
The victorionix knife doesn't look very practical for emergency scene use. To much stuff if you ask me.

As far as the light goes, i looked at the GloToob and i cant get that. It is not sold on websites like thefirestore.com So would the inova be a good way of getting the attention of traffic and as a light every so often

Whenever i get on the truck i always grab either a survivor led or a a box light, this is just a light to be used for making myself visible to traffic and if i need to see something without blinding the rest of the crew.

So basically, To buy or not to buy?

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also spend some time at fire and accident scenes. I'd pass on the Inova. It's nice, but not all that useful. I'd get a Surefire L1. Lots of runtime with plenty of light for most things on low, lots of light on high.

Mihlrad

Newly Enlightened
i only have like 45 dollars left to spend : ) surefire is a bit up there.

I am not trying to light up an area, like i said i want to make myself a bit more noticeable at night standing in the middle of the road.

Mihlrad

Newly Enlightened
yea but that is only good as a strobe, no other functions if i wanted it.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
i only have like 45 dollars left to spend : ) surefire is a bit up there.

I am not trying to light up an area, like i said i want to make myself a bit more noticeable at night standing in the middle of the road.

Ah, that makes a difference. :D Then yeah, the Inova will do that!

bouncer

Enlightened
For what you are looking for a clip on type beacon the Inova is perfect check out the Pelican light lineup first though they make a couple of good warning beacons like lights even smaller.

e2x2e

Enlightened
That will make you more noticeable. What other functions do you want? Remember you will have ~$30 left, so you can always get, say, a MOLLE light(will easily clip onto something you're wearing).

Last edited:

Mihlrad

Newly Enlightened
What i want is a small, compact clip on light. To clip onto one of the belt loops on the front of my turnout coat (there is a few extra loops because they are meant for putting your radio mic into)

I want it to make me more noticeable while standing in the middle of the expressway at 12:30 at night. And at the same time, if i am in a dark place or a fire where people get pissed if you turn on a big box light or survivor led (bright as hell) i want to be able to toss on the red lights if i need to see something in my pocket or something like a fusebox or anything.

Like i said, i will have either a box light over my shoulder or a survivor led clipped to me almost all the time anyway.

As far as cost lets see

Inova $39.00

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/p...ction_led_lighting_system_with_accessory_kit/

Knife $49.99

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm/pid_745_smith_wesson_first_response_rescue_knife/

And Whelen ULF44 Flasher is ~$50

This leaves me at $10 and i am not sure if the department covers shipping for me or if it i inculded in what my $150 has to be.

Last edited:

cv3po

Banned
So, since i just got new turnout gear that if i remember correctly has a few extra loops for gizmos and gadgets to attach to it. I thought that the inova 24/7 would be great for making myself noticeable, directing traffic and for a decent light in dark places every so often, that wont disrupt peoples eyesight in a fire.
What do you guys think, is this a good light for me?

Congratulations!...........................that last part makes me nervous tho. In a fire this light won't be the best for illumination (although it will be great clipped to you blinking or on red so your team can keep track of you). There are many threads about this (if you search for "LED'S IN SMOKE OR FOG") with some good info but basically 5mm led's, like those used in the 24/7, are too diffuse and have too high a color temp (too bluish) to penetrate smoke. Like hitting your cars brights in fog, it just blinds the user. You'll still want a dedicated spot beamed light for smoky environments. Having said that, the 24/7 is a great light and any rescue personnel will find many uses for it. Good luck!

EDIT: just realized you probably didn't mean IN the fire, just around the fire. I'd say go for it

Last edited:

Mihlrad

Newly Enlightened
ok, i think i am going to buy it, it looks good for what i need.

For all those who dont understand still. Heres how i will be setup.

i ALWAYS have either a box light or a survivor halogen/led with me. That is my main source of illumination on the scene.

I want to clip the inova 24/7 onto my turnout coat onto the spare radio mic belt loop.

In a smoke condition such as a building fire, you are not supposed to use lights, because in a fire the condition is going to be heavy, and no light can possibly shine through it, other then possibly a laser.

Therefore, when a larger light like a box light or survivor led is used, the high intensity beam gets reflected back at everyone, either blinding, or pissing them off. Also, one of the extreme downsides to large lights in a heavy smoke and fire condition is that halogen lights like the box light and halogen survivor have a yellowish orange huge to the beam. Shot into a large cloud of heavy smoke this can fool people around a corner or something that there is a fire. In a serious fire you cant see your hand in front of your face there is so much smoke, so the only thing you see of fires until you get up close enough is the orange glow from them. Therefore flashlights and fire can easily be confused which is dangerous.

The red lights or dim white is good because it makes a great locator in such an impaired vision environment and it doesnt project far enough or bright enough to blind or confuse anyone.

So i think i am going to buy it.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have three, and Love 'Em! Then I got the acessory pack, with four small wall mounts, an headband adapter, and a magnetic mount. The wall mounts will allow you too palce one on different boxes, or even bigger lights, and makes an laready useful light even more useful. Use the magnetic mount to attach it to anything as well. Here's a sample of what I did with mine on an ammo can.

http://better-angels.blogspot.com/

:popcorn:

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's an exceptional flasher. As a steady-state light, it's good but for your purposes I'd rate it "utility/backup." I have two - great lights. Get the complete kit with accessories - not much more, and lots of versatility.

N2rockets

Newly Enlightened
Hi there. I am new to this forum, but just caught this thread when I was browsing. I am a firefighter for LACoFD and I used the Innova 24/7 on ALL traffic emergencies! That thing is awesome. If you want to be seen and not nailed by some moron speeding through your TC scene, this thing is great. Sometimes I feel like on the emergency modes its a little much, but thats why there are about 8 different light modes so you can pick what you want. I definitely recommend this light over all the other strobes I have used!

Mihlrad

Newly Enlightened
sweet thats exactly what i wanted it for. I put in the papers to my supervisor to order it.