Newbie Modding - which regulated circuit for CreeQ5?

LiteShow

Newly Enlightened
I have a cheap "1 million candlepower" spotlight that runs off a 6V 4Ah SLA. It's got a 4" smooth deep aluminum reflector. I am thinking of removing the 6V 25W halogen bulb and in the exact same location put a Cree Q5 and heatsink it to the large reflector. My intentions is to build a LED thrower and to gain lots of runtime.

I plan on getting the Cree here http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2394

Which regulated circuit board will run off a 6V SLA and power the Q5 close to Max? A single mode circuit (max brightness) will be fine.

Is this a worthwhile mod? Any opinions or comments? Thanks!

Dennis

CampingLED

Enlightened
If you want a single output board I can highly recommend the following one: 800mA 3.6to 9 V
icon14.gif

holeymoley

Newly Enlightened
If you want a single output board I can highly recommend the following one: 800mA 3.6to 9 V
icon14.gif

Camping, can you tell me if this driver will work with 2x CR123. I assume so, but I want to check before I buy.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, I didn't want to start a new one with this question.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Camping, can you tell me if this driver will work with 2x CR123. I assume so, but I want to check before I buy.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, I didn't want to start a new one with this question.
According to the specs, that should work. That voltage range includes 2xCR123A, 3xCR123A, 1xLi-Ion, and 2xLi-Ion.

CampingLED

Enlightened
Theoretically, yes. I tested mine with 4 x D cells and the current draw at the battery side is close to 0.9 A. The Cree Q5 is very bright. I am planning to use it with a single Q5 in my 6D MLite @ 9V. Will let you know within the next day or two. Busy looking at the heatsink and how to fit the components. Finished modding the reflector.

CampingLED

Enlightened
holeymoley, the board will have no problem to drive a Cree with 2 x CR123s. When driving the board with 9V input voltage it does get a little hot, but not too much. More or less the same as my MTE 5 mode AA Rebel flashlight with a freshly charged battery.

LiteShow

Newly Enlightened
Thanks CampingLED. I actually ordered that board (sku3256) as I was looking for a single mode. Can't wait for the order to come in - really curious to see what kind of throw I will get with the 4" smooth reflector. With a current draw of 0.9A or little under 1/4 C, hopefully I should get close to a 4 hour runtime with the Q5.

Dennis

kurri

Newly Enlightened
ive had exact same intentions to recycle my sla torch... but my battery is dead, so i would be using something different... i have lots of 3500mah ni-mh c-cells around.. maybe, if i have a time in summer or so I will build it.

wildstar87

Enlightened
I would also be a bit worried that the reflector won't handle the narrow beam pattern of the Cree. The Mag reflector which is quite a bit smaller has problems with it, at least with the standard smooth reflector, a MOP reflector smooths the beam out, but you might be better off with an SSC due to the wider beam pattern that comes out.