Your crappiest flashlight

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah that's right, your crappiest, let's see them. :devil:

Here's mine, rayovac value bright, 97 cents from walmart, plus two super heavy duty from dollar store, everything brand new cost two dollars up and running.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got an aluminium incandescent 2xAA flashlight from Poundland that is the worst ever. With batteries installed, the head-twist switch flickered so much when used. After I had finished playing with it, I twisted the head to 'off', or so I thought... Althought the bulb was not lit, there was a short-circuit. Next time I picked the light up, the body was hot, and there was not alot left in the batteries.

I took the head apart to find a shoddy micro-PR based bulb. The switch fell to pieces and could not be put back right. Eventually, I stripped it of the plastic and glass and sent the aluminium off for recycling. That was the first, and only flashlight I have ever thrown out.

jinx626

Enlightened
Mine is a candle under a jar with black tapes wrapped around the side so it don't look like a lantern. :nana:

Spypro

Enlightened
An old 2D Garrity.
The beam was horrible and the runtime too...
I bought it when I was 14-15 yro.

dulridge

Enlightened
I have several of these Rolson branded 2xAA "aluminum" (probably the "monkey metal" so famed in motorcycle engines) lights that came free with Rolson (i.e. dirt cheap Chinese quality control failures) tool kits of various sorts. On a good day they produce rather less light than a dying glow-worm while killing batteries in very short order. The bulb is massively outdone by a stock Solitaire bulb. In fact the bulbs look about the same size as solitaire bulbs.

If I can find one I've not stomped to death I'll post pics.

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

The nasty blackened thing is the bulb - this has maybe seen 1 hour of battery killing use ever. Anyone who wants one in order to experience the horror is welcome - failing that, this one is for the bin which is the best place for it.

Last edited:

Widsith

Banned
Somewhere I have a couple of cheap two-AA incandescants that I got as giveaways at a hockey game several years ago. They had the local team name and logo on the side, were fairly bright, and were made entirely of GITD plastic, which was nice because it made them very easy to find in the dark. However, within a week they started flickering because of bad battery contacts; I'd have to shake them or twist the heads back and forth to keep them shining. But since they were free, I guess they're still worth slightly more than I paid for them. :)

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several of these Rolson branded 2xAA "aluminum" (probably the "monkey metal" so famed in motorcycle engines) lights that came free with Rolson (i.e. dirt cheap Chinese quality control failures) tool kits of various sorts. On a good day they produce rather less light than a dying glow-worm while killing batteries in very short order. The bulb is massively outdone by a stock Solitaire bulb. In fact the bulbs look about the same size as solitaire bulbs.

If I can find one I've not stomped to death I'll post pics.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j282/dulridge/IMG_0552.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j282/dulridge/IMG_0555.jpg
The nasty blackened thing is the bulb - this has maybe seen 1 hour of battery killing use ever. Anyone who wants one in order to experience the horror is welcome - failing that, this one is for the bin which is the best place for it.
That seems like a decent body for a LED conversion.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know that light does look kinda cool, if you put in a led drop in it might be pretty decent.

I was thinking the same thing. The output was possibly bad because it looks like those poor little bulbs were getting the living crap beaten out of them. The envelopes were probably black in very short order. I bet an LED mod would make that a sort of fun light.

dulridge

Enlightened
I've found 2 of the things. First 2 people to PM me can have one each. Happy nearly Burns night! I'm not crazy enough to expect anyone to pay for one of these and am happy to pay the postage to anywhere - just PM me if you want one. I may add that even a 3mm LED probably wouldn't fit the hole in the reflector but it'd be easily enough reamed out so first 2 addresses in my PM box can have one each.

Edit: 1 spoken for, 1 to go
Edit 2: Both now spoken for.

I really, really hope their new owners like them more than I do. Hopefully they'll post pics and beamshots, I'd love to see how much better they can be made. Not that this should be hard....

Last edited:

Saiga

Enlightened
I gave away some crap-lights to nephews about the time i discovered this forum and good lights. The crappiest i have now would be a 2AA coast and a couple 3AA teknolites,which i don't really consider "crap",they're just not on par with my post-CPF aquisitions.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Riverrock 2c with an asopheric plastic lens. I was hoping I could steel the lens, but it is glued in pretty tight. It does not have a tight beam....just a wide blue moon type beam. A total waste of $20 at target.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
1xAAA Dorcy incan keychain light. Painfully weak output and a pretty much unusable beam pattern. I think it's as big as a modern 1xAA LED light too.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
my solitaire...:devil:
if theres a really crappy beam, thats gotta be it..

Crenshaw

iSleep

Newly Enlightened
HMM ... Thats has got to be a handmade sheet metal flashlight ... It has a hand-polished aluminium cupcake cup as a reflector ... That was given to me like a long time ago, doubt it still exists now .

ynggrsshppr

Newly Enlightened
The G2 Ghettolon. Paper pamphlet body rolled into a Nitrolon head with no lens, P60 equivalent lamp assembly, and a single piece of wire to complete the circuit.

DSC_0729.jpg

Taboot

Enlightened
My crappiest is a 2 year old Inova X1. It is embarassingly dim especially for how well it's built and how much it cost ($20USD-ish). I have a particularly cheapy 10 year old 2xAA minimag knock off that a salesman was giving away that is at least 3 times brighter.

I wonder if the newer ones are better...