SureFire AA?

e2x2e

Enlightened
Will SureFire ever make a flashlight with AA batteries? Have they ever said anything about this? I would love to have a SureFire quality flashlight with AAs, and I think others would also.

greenLED

Flashaholic
PK showed us a proof of concept a couple of years ago at SHOT. No plans to ever produce one, IIRC.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to go out on a limb and say we will see a Surefire AA or (14500) light within the next 24 months. Wonder if Al knows anything?

Bill

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using a Tranquillitybase 3x123 tube with 2 AA's running a KL1 head. Works great.

Numbers

Enlightened
Are there any benefits of AA batteries over 123's , other than availability and price (if they are actually cheaper per unit of energy held) ?

tussery

Enlightened
AA's have their place. For example, if you wanted a 3000 bLM Maglite sized light no lithium battery can handle that kind of amperage load safely. Thankfully there are AA NiMH's that can handle 10A loads safely.

e2x2e

Enlightened
AA's are standard, cheap, available almost everywhere, and safe.

p1fiend

Newly Enlightened
Surefire should buy the rights to the Nitecore Defender Infinity.

Slap a "Surefire" logo on it, a $100 price tag, and it would sell like hotcakes.

Numbers

Enlightened

Slap a "Surefire" logo on it, a $100 price tag, and it would sell like hotcakes.
Hmm...
Until now there was no way I would ever agree with that statement but
Based on the LOOKS (only) of the E1B, recently shown on the SF website and now removed, I, for one, may have cause to pause.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Absolutely. I was actually thinking earlier today that if you told me the Nitecore DI was made by Surefire, I wouldn't doubt it for a second.

As for the thread topic, I think Surefire would do well with a AA based light. They're targeting more of the masses by selling the G2L and 6PL in Lowes, and many of those people don't really want a CR123 based light.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
AA's are standard, cheap, available almost everywhere, and safe.

I have 2 cases of Surefire cells in a cabinet. That's not counting all of the CR123 cells that came with each of my Surefires and other lights that use those cells. I have had no problems with any of them. Just a few basic rules are needed to stay safe.

1 - Only use Made in America cells.

2 - Never mix and match cells of different brands.

3 - Never mix and match old and new cells in one light.

4 - Visually inspect cells for any problems that might develop.

Instead of AAs, a better alternative to using CR123 cells would be using 18650 or other rechargeable cells.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried 2 AAs in my C2 with a detonator extender. Works with a LED drop in, not so well with a P91:poke::D

So any 3 cell Surefire should be able to use 2AAs if you find a suitable bulb/drop in.

Most military use would stick with lithium AAs anyway so the gain might not be that big by switching from cr123s..

Sverre

boosterboy

Enlightened

Nitecore lights are so tactical, they turn on by themselves, you don't even have to do anything;)

Surefire's design philosophy revolves around a practical UI.

I will say, the nitecore's machining, fit, and finish is very good, they just need to simplify the UI, cause it's too tactical, not enough practical.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
One good reason to not enter the AA arena is that it is possible to avoid poor-performance chemistry. The worst CR123 lithium cells are still significantly better in terms of performance than the worst AA cells. By using CR123As exclusively, Surefire ensure that no-one uses 'Super Heavy Duty Carbon-Zinc' cells, which would lead to poor output power, which could lead the ignorant to believe that the flashlight has poor output. Wouldn't do your reputation any favours.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I will say, the nitecore's machining, fit, and finish is very good, they just need to simplify the UI, cause it's too tactical, not enough practical.

The light is a perfect example of how the word "tactical" gets tossed around with little regard to what is needed in a true tactical light. I'm not knocking the light or anything about it.... other than the fact that's it's not an example of a true tactical light. If it was, it would have a simple, reliable as Hell momentary / twist constant-on tailcap switch.

If it was truly tactical, you wouldn't have to read any instructions on how to use it, or view Wade's instructional vid on youtube....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daFqQjRYgMs

Latest posts