Convince me not to buy a Proton

AlexSchira

Enlightened
I've been EDCing a Photon on my neck for a couple years now, the interface is the greatest I've ever had in a light or tool. I switch off between different colors for different jobs, often bringing two just in case. I love the ReX, been awkwardly neck-carrying it for a while and like the high output with the Freedom interface. The Proton Pro...I have yet to buy anything with Cree, but this thing has every feature I used to wish for in a light. The lumen count is higher than my trusty old Surefire E2E in an unbreakable LED. It has that wonderful red mode for general use and power saving. All the modes and tricks, the great clip, even glows in the dark.
I used to argue my Surefire was HA-3, there's no contest.
...Turns out so is the Proton. And it even runs on the single most common battery around.

I have one sitting in my order cart on a site selling it on sale, but keep telling myself I don't need another light with my E2E and my Photons. But this would replace both of them at once, while adding features and subtracting weight and hassle.

Is there anything wrong with this darned thing? I feel like if I chucked it in anger a parachute would deploy and spray air freshener as it descends, it's too dang perfect.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a great Light. I thought I would be sorry I bought it. Not so. Smallest AA light that packs a wallop I ever seen.

Bill

Saiga

Enlightened
(quote) " Convince me not to buy a Proton"

Do not buy a proton, I repeat...DO NOT BUY A PROTON !!!!!!
how'd i do ?:crackup:

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh.....the classic "I don't need another light but want one anyway and I am feeling guilty". I know the feeling. :laughing:

Personally, I am waiting until shot show to see what comes out. Buy a light now and when you see all of the new lights at shot show you may wish you would have waited.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
DON"T DO IT! The ease of the interface will have you constantly adjusting the output to just what you want. Before you know it you will be using the light just to mess with the UI and shine at things you don't even need to see in the dark - thus waisting your time playing with the light. It will form a bad habit.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
what are some of the features of it?
how many modes is it, and what are the lumen levels? (especially max)

bspofford

Enlightened
The LRI web page says that the Photon Proton Pro has a 2W CREE and produces 1000 candlepower. It doesn't mention Q5 in the product specs but has a review at the bottom of the page that quite clearly states that this light has a Q5. Anybody know if it is a Q5 and how many lumens it puts out?

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here goes:

On TIN's Proton Pro review he compares a Proton Pro with a DI and says:
"Once again, I am very impressed with both these lights. They both maintained their brightness well, and stayed virtually even in output with each other for 1h 15m. The Pro then began dimming rapidly, and the red light low cell warning came on at 1h 20m. The DI kept on going, maintaining strong output till 1h 45m, when it began dimming till it virtually shut down at around 2h."

The DI seems to be significantly more efficient than the Pro. There may be some room for improvement here so waiting may eventually get you a new improved Pro. The Pro was just released and, after making some adjustments to the design and production, then swoop in and buy.

how bout that?

kilgor

Enlightened
Here goes:

On TIN's Proton Pro review he compares a Proton Pro with a DI and says:
"Once again, I am very impressed with both these lights. They both maintained their brightness well, and stayed virtually even in output with each other for 1h 15m. The Pro then began dimming rapidly, and the red light low cell warning came on at 1h 20m. The DI kept on going, maintaining strong output till 1h 45m, when it began dimming till it virtually shut down at around 2h."

The DI seems to be significantly more efficient than the Pro. There may be some room for improvement here so waiting may eventually get you a new improved Pro. The Pro was just released and, after making some adjustments to the design and production, then swoop in and buy.

how bout that?

Did you notice later in the thread where on low the Proton Pro was still shining after 216 hours (9+ days) on a plain old alkaline Duracell? :D

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, whatever you do don't buy a Proton!
Because...
well,
um...
^%$#%
Yea.

Seriously there are only 2 complaints I have against a proton, and coming from a master complainer as myself that is saying something.
First it uses a low frequency PWM which is easily visible to my eyes.
Second, the cree version has a very narrow spot beam with a large cree ring in the beam pattern. But a bit of ingenuity can easily fashion a diffuser.
The only other bad thing I could say about the proton is that it doesn't get as bright as the Chinese competition/ can't use a 14500 but imho it is intended to be a useful personal light, not a WTH is that on the other side of the field light.
This is my true EDC. I keep a few lights with me, but when away from the bag this one is always in my pocket.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I was VERY close to buy one myself, BUT those ideas disappeared immediately when I saw a beamshot from it! Uck! Not another cree beam! I wont buy another led light until they have figured it out so you get a nice and smooth beam, kinda like Lux led has(i dont want a all flood light). The talk about you cant see it when used outside etc is to me a load of bull... :) I can honestly say that I can see the rings almost anywhere i use my light, bright environment, dark, inside outside.... And I have used Fenix, various drop in leds, have seen beamshots from other lights I havent tried personally.
I HATE those rings! Im not a white-wall-hunter, but I do want a perfect beam!
Dont like optics either, and dont want to use a diffuser just to get rid of the cree rings.

I know some of you dont agree with me, but this is my thoughts and why I didnt but another led light.

Thats a good reason not to buy one, and the other I can think of is that ShotShow is around the corner! I couldnt justify buying something before that.

Apex007

Newly Enlightened
I feel like if I chucked it in anger a parachute would deploy and spray air freshener as it descends, it's too dang perfect.

Hilarious! :crackup:I ordered one yesterday and expect it to arrive tomorrow or Monday. I'm exceptionally picky, usually spending hours (or days) researching before lighting up my paypal account. This light really seems to be the best all around edc for my needs. I have the utmost confidence in the cpf judgement!

cabindriver

Newly Enlightened
Don't buy one because it can't start out on low white. I find that I use my ReX much more because of that feature.

TOTC

Newly Enlightened
Three reasons I don't have one yet:

1) It can't start out on low white.
2) PWM
3) Ringy beam
4) It's ugly as sin: looks like something handed out at a trade show

(Ok, so maybe my extra reason is a bit more shallow than some of the others. But I won't deny what I am :crackup:)

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) It can't start out on low white.
2) PWM
3) Ringy beam

What cave dave said.

I'm not that sensitive to the PWM of the light, but it is noticable.

The beam is not the greatest in terms of shape and distribution. In use outside, I'm looking at what I'm illuminating and not the beam so I really don't notice the flaws...until I use it side by side with a light with a good beam. Then the flaws really stand out.

Convinced yet? :D

With all that said, it is the smallest, lightest, and most versatile light I own.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Can someone please compare the Proton Pro's user interface with say a Fenix P2D that I EDC right now? I don't really understand how it works and would like to know before I hop on one...

And what's the max/low lumen outputs and runtimes?

Thanks,
RC