Banner Mania!

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, look at all the sponsors and banners! Capitalism at it's greatest! Let's hope this relieves the financial burden on CPF. Plus, competition among dealers only means good things for customers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, as long as things don't get out of hand (and I'm sure they won't with the wonderful people we have in charge of CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif).

-Mike

Greta

Flashaholic
Mike,

Please expand on "get out of hand"... I ask only because I want to avoid that as well... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Sasha. I think Mike is talking about some of those webpages that have a million pop-ups and way too many banners. I like that you decided to just have one banner per page, but they rotate with different dealers. That doesn't clutter up the forum. Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

ttran97,

Thank you for the great banner! You did an excellent job!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dan.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dan....haha....SHH! That was supposed to be a secret. I wanted to see what people REALLY thought of it without sugar-coating their comments. But knowing CPFers...they probably wouldn't sugar-coat any comments anyway! hehe. Brutal honesty is the way to go!

Greta

Flashaholic
I don't know how many non-dealer members have gone and read the thread in the Questions forum that I posted regarding the bannerads, so I'll just repeat a little of it here.

This move toward selling advertising space is not meant to be so that CPF can jump on the capitalism bandwagon. Don't get me wrong... I LOVE capitalism!... but that's not what CPF is about right now.

CPF will be moving to a dedicated server very soon ... within a couple weeks... and the costs involved in that are more than one person can or should afford. Obviously, the dealers, distributors and manufacturers who do business on CPF are benefitting from CPF. The cost of a bannerad on CPF has been determined based on what it will take simply to break even.

Therefore, it is in our best interest to keep this simple and fair. No popups!!! I'll go flip burgers as a side job if I have to in order to avoid that!! And at this time, all sponsors will get equal advertising. I think it's a win/win situation for everyone... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, if we need 'em, we need 'em... OTOH, for those of us w/o huge screens, I'd sure appreciate if they didn't get too tall (120px or more), and if you can avoid animation...

anyway, hope it works out well and pays the bills. What money I still have for fun while I'm looking for an EE job will probably go to the sponsors, when it's not going to local restaurants.

Bill.H

Enlightened
I'd just like to thank all the companies that are purchasing these ads. I'll do my best to purchase from them.

Sasha, don't you go flipping burgers! I'd rather buy a paid subscription than see you do that. I'm sure we all think you do enough already. Thank you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

(Yes, I know there are no paid subscriptions and you don't ever want any /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ttran97 said:
Hi Sasha. I think Mike is talking about some of those webpages that have a million pop-ups and way too many banners. I like that you decided to just have one banner per page, but they rotate with different dealers. That doesn't clutter up the forum. Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, ttran got it. I was talking about those sites where (even if they don't have pop ups) have banners placed all over the place (top, bottom, etc). I think the way you have it now with one banner that rotates works great and doesn't distract from CPF at all. Thanks for all your hard work Sasha.

-Mike

EDIT: Wow... post 300 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
My first view of the adds is while I'm on the road, looking across the chasm of a dial-up that connected in the mid 20's this morning. Takes me about 2x as long to load the pages, unfortunately. I totally understand the need, and like the other folks here, I also beg that they be kept to to a decent size (both in screen realestate AND filesize) and contain no animation.

Tomas

Banned
I like the single banner per page setup, and as long as they remain a very reasonable size, both in screen real estate and file size, they are actually a help to users because of their tight focus.

There have been several times when I've wanted to buy a light product and have wondered where - this will help me to choose where - those folks who help support CPF ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Note to advertisers: Please don't even consider pop-ups or pop-unders, and keep the animation slow and to a minimum. A twitching ad that distracts and annoys puts that advertiser on my "Do Not Buy" list. So far, all the ads here have been tastful and solid. Keep it up!

tomsig03.gif

-= MICROSOFT FREE ZONE =-

P.S. Just as an additional thought, if any of us felt really strongly about adding our support to CPF, I'm sure that a tasteful banner paid for by regular member(s) and donated to "advertising" some of the valuable other light sites would be acceptable, eh, Sasha? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Define "Animation"

Some of the current Ads are animated in the sense that they rotate but there are no bouncing monkeys--I am fine with that, what about you all?

Darell--2x to load? Nahhh....I mean heavens it's a 12k image!

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
I like the way the banner ads are as the way they are right now... (huh?) - sorry, in other words, they look great in my opinion.

This is one Forum that I'm actually glad to see banner ads for the sole reason that they are subject to community-wide peer pressure, so to speak, in that they are posters here as well and fall under the scrutiny of the majority of CPF'ers. We all share our experiences with vendors, and that's a good thing, as it aids to make the online purchasing decision with an untried vendor a much easier prospect.

The fact of the matter is, the only reason why I tried Tactical Warehouse or Texas Tactical Supply was because I read about them here first.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif to these merchants for helping to support CPF.

-Jim

I_rv_too

Newly Enlightened
>>there are no bouncing monkeys

Are you talking about in the banners or are you saying there are no bouncing monkeys on the general CPF membership roster? Because if it's the latter ...

Saaby

Flashaholic
Maybe if you didn't drink so much Coke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
once the adds are in your cache they will load from there.
then it takes no more time than normal to load the page.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's nice to see the ads now. I actually look forward to seeing Tactical Warehouse's banner show up on the rotation! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'm glad so many of the other dealers decided to post ads up too. Thanks for supporting CPF!

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
Mike,

Please expand on "get out of hand"... I ask only because I want to avoid that as well... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

sasha, it's perfect the way it is. good job! please don't let them get bigger or more than one per page.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
snakebite -

Excellent point. This particular machine is a 56er. When I went to a forum I waited a long time for the banner to load. Then I cruised around to see what was being said about banners. Now the (what I thought was) offending banner loads right up.

Thanks.

Also...Why am I in the mood to buy stuff?