kingoftf

Newly Enlightened
Chile, around 1000m long (3280 ft)

764449.jpg

66.043.013 gallons of water

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy %$#$. :eek:
Most common competition pools are 25m to put things into perspective; the ones you see in the Olympics are 50m.
Funny how one will often find the most extravagant and huge pools a mere 10m away from the ocean.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I was trying to put the size into perspective. It suddenly occurred to me that it would take about 1 minute, 40 seconds to ride the length of this pool at my normal 23 mph, or about 8 minutes to walk it at my usual 13 minutes per mile walking speed. Lapping it by bike would likely require the better part of 4 minutes. Considering that most pools would breeze by in mere seconds at my typical cycling speed, that's really loooooooooong.

Sounds like it would be really fun if you're into water sports, kind of like being in the middle of the ocean but in the safety of a pool. The round section looks to be about 200m in diameter. Dead center you're a football field away from dry land. There's something really cool about that occurring in a pool. I'm not into water sports personally though-I can't even swim.

Eric_M

Enlightened
Balancing the chemicals is tricky enough at times in a normal sized pool.

Must be really fun with this one. :eek:oo:

jtr1962

Flashaholic

It's a salt water pool. They bring in filtered sea water, and discharge it so that the water is always clean. Chemicals are only added where sensors detect higher than acceptable contamination. I read that the pool is 115 feet deep in one spot. All I can say is wow. It's essentially a man-made lake but without natural terrain like valleys to contain it.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's not a swimming pool, it's a friggin artificial lake that happens to be shallow enough to swim in.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool. I'd like to swim back and forth in that. Since July, I've been swiming twice a week (between 1 and 1.5 miles per swim), although, now that I've moved and joined the local YMCA, I've been swimming more often, but, typically, for less time/distance. I wonder if the salt in the water makes it noticeably easier to swim? I've read that in places like the Dead Sea, where the salt concentration is so high, it's impossible to sink. (anybody know about this?)

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fleishhacker Pool. 1,000 feet x 150 feet next to San Francisco Zoo.

By the 1960's, it did not look as nice as this pictures. Don't think I ever got out of the shallow end...

That was some cold swimming pool.

"Fleishhacker Pool closed in 1971. After years of deterioration and a lack of modern operational systems, the pool could not meet modern health standards. Consideration was given to refurbishing and reopening this historic landmark, but studies showed that public usage was extremely low,... "

Rumor was if you dove to the bottom of the deep end there was a layer of muck down at the bottom. I never tested the legend.

Spent a week there doing the Red Cross Swim Instructor boot camp. Good thing they got me when I was young and stupid. Wouldn't do that again.

kingoftf

Newly Enlightened
Cool. I'd like to swim back and forth in that. Since July, I've been swiming twice a week (between 1 and 1.5 miles per swim), although, now that I've moved and joined the local YMCA, I've been swimming more often, but, typically, for less time/distance. I wonder if the salt in the water makes it noticeably easier to swim? I've read that in places like the Dead Sea, where the salt concentration is so high, it's impossible to sink. (anybody know about this?)

Dead Sea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_sea

766006.jpg

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

Actually, from what I gather, the larger the pool, the easier it is to balance - lets face it - lets say you have 2 pools - one 10x the volume of the other - say the smaller pool need "1 unit" of a chemical, the bigger needs 10 units - now if you make a mistake of 1/2 unit in each - one is a 50% error, one is a 5% error - things change slowly enough that it's not as much of a balancing act

Brock

Flashaholic
It is true, a larger pool is easier to maintain. Well really it depends on how many gallons you have vs. number of "bathers". A hot tub is typically the worst because you have the least number of gallons per person.

Not that you want to think about it, but if a child "leaks" in a hot tub or small pool and you have 1/8 gallon of free chlorine present in the water it will all be gone. In a larger pool you might have a gallon of free chlorine present and now you're down to 7/8 of a gallon free, so you're still safe. Not sure if that helps but the larger the pool the more stable it tends to be.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Nice pool and all but WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT DUDES RIGHT FOOT IN THE DEAD SEA PICTURE!!!!???
It's very shallow and that's the 'bed' (sand/silt etc) on his feet. You wouldn't want to move about too much to wash it off whilst attempting to hold the newspaper clear of the water.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's basically just mud (although it feels really different), but it's supposedly really good for your skin. You'll find it around the edges of the Dead Sea, and it's not uncommon for people to rub it on their skin.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I hesitated using the term 'mud' having not experienced it for myself nor had the time to research it.
Thanks for clearing up the mud