4xC Cree from DX

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been asked to suggest a large-ish LED flashlight for a parent who tends to lose all small things.

I naturally thought of 18650 flashlights, but then I figured a non-flashaholic, non-interested person would have trouble with exotic 18650 cells.

So I thought of this one. It doesn't have the latest emitter, but it seems sturdy and large enough. And, importantly, it uses common-or-garden C cells.

Only problem is, there isn't much detail on DX. Does anyone around here own one? What are the specs? Is it resistor-driven or regulated? Runtime? Opinions on quality?

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 4xC Cree from DX (DX bashers please keep out)

I'd keep it simple and go get a Mag 2D or 3D LED light for just slightly more.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you type SmartFire M-504C into the CPF database only-Google search box at the top of this page you will be led to a thread from 09-09-2007 with some info about this light.

CPFer mick53 started that thread.

Found more info by using Google directly: blog report stating the HI/MED/LOW settings as 1.0A/0.5A/0.25A plus a run-time graph.
On a different page, a beamshot of it up against some more powerful flashlights by the same blogger.
You can find indoor HI/MED/LOW beamshots here.

Not a huge amount of info, but it's a good start. :grin2:

Google is your friend.

Last edited:

big beam

Enlightened

I bought one of these about 1 mo. ago.At first it was great .about 1 amp .5 amp and .25 amp.THEN all the sudden it went dim and drew .12 amps EVEN THOUGH IT WAS OFF.Took it apart and it doesn't use resistors for dimming.It has some sort of board in there and a momentary switch, but because there is so much room in the light I thought I'd put a regulated 1 mode driver in it with a regular switch.It looks like a nuwai 654 light and the tube might be leftover nuwai but the inards (board and led) are different.This is just what happened with my light YMMV.
DON

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would second the MagLED suggestion. Chances are if they have bought or used a flashlight in the past 20 years, they are more than familiar with the Mag and will be very comfortable with its use. That and you can buy/take it back almost anywhere.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast

My guess is magled probably cost close to $100 in italy so that's not an option.

DM51

Flashaholic
Fallingwater, I have edited the thread title. The additional comment was unnecessary.

If any 'bashers' appear, they can be reported and they will be dealt with.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast

My guess is magled probably cost close to $100 in italy so that's not an option.
Not $100, but still far more expensive than they should be. The cheapest I've seen them in stores is €40.
Oh, and you do not want to know how expensive a MagCharger is around here.

I've had a look at that thread. The light seems pretty good. Not the brightest around, but since it doesn't drive the emitter too hard and runs on four Cs it should have monster runtime.

Fallingwater, I have edited the thread title. The additional comment was unnecessary.
If any 'bashers' appear, they can be reported and they will be dealt with.
No problem. I was just trying to avoid the issue in the first place, but oh well.

AubreyCTTX

Newly Enlightened
I've been lurking on this forum for a while, but decided to chime in, since I own this light (in fact I'm the one who posted the user-submitted picture on DealExtreme comparing it to several other lights).

If you look at the picture on DX, you can see that it's a bit shorter and not as large in diameter as my 3D Mag, and it's significantly lighter in weight. I have an inexpensive lux meter (also from DX) that gave a hot-spot reading of approximately 7400 lux at approximately 1m, compared to approximately 12000 for the Mag 3D (this is all fairly unscientific, and I'll admit to being a complete novice at using a light meter, so take these numbers with the appropriate amount of salt). However, that's probably not a fair comparison, as the Mag can be focused for a really tight spot, and the M-504C seems to be built with a less tight spot. On the upside, though, it seems to have excellent spill.

I've been running it on a set of four Tenergy NiMH C batteries that I bought from Battery Junction. I haven't tried it on Alkalines, though, so I can't speak to how well they will perform.

During the Christmas holidays I visited my mother's place, which is on several acres of (unfenced) land in East Texas. Since it was unfenced, this often meant late-night dog walking "duty." This was my go-to light for this, as I found that it would reach out reasonably well to about 75-100 ft on high (perhaps 25-30meters) but provided a nice bit of spill for watching where I was walking and for watching the dogs without blinding them. For most walking purposes, the low setting was perfectly acceptable. If I needed to reach out and touch something, I had an Ultrafire C2 Q5 for that purpose.

I like the feel of the light in my hand as it feels really solidly built and has good heft. The only thing I didn't like was the switch. It's a momentary-on switch that doesn't provide much tactile feedback. I also found it really easy to bump, causing it to either change modes (if already on) or switch off (if you were using low power).

I used the light for somewhere between 1 and 2 hours total over the Christmas holidays using the rechargeables, and the light seemed no less bright when done. Back here in the suburbs I have far less reason to use the light at night, so it's only been used for a minute or two at a time on occasion until yesterday, when I decided to preemptively charge the batteries (as it has been about two months, and these are regular NiMH's, not LSD). Still, I wasn't able to detect any decrease in light output before charging (unfortunately, I don't have a charger that will tell me the remaining capacity for C batteries, so I can't tell how much energy was left).

This may also be my first mod light, as I've got a Cree Q5 Star just waiting for the day when I get the time and the nerve to disassemble the thing and upgrade it.

Good luck in your light search...