Nexstar 2AA 5 watt mod Am I hurting my BB 750

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just finished a new transformation combined a Bad Boy 750 with a custom made heat sink and
a 5 watt HD white and installed it in a brinkmann nexstar AA. I have been planing on using CR-
V3's split to power it, but by accident put in two AA's and found that it powered up the light
almost to full brightness.The measurements I took were :with the AA 2.6v under load 6.3v at led
with250ma draw. With the cr-v3 5.9v under load 6.8v at led and 1.2amps draw. These
measurements were all taken direct in series with the loads, so they may not be a very accurate
picture of what's happening. The light body does very well at sinking the heat .However it does
get rather warm with extended run times. With 1800mah nimh's I get almost 30/40 minuets run
time at almost full brightness before it starts flickering I haven't tried run time with the cr-v3's as
they are very expensive and the light would have to sit on an ice pack or kept moving to help the
heat dissipation. Sorry I have no digital camera the but heat sink is a 6.8mm x18.3mm disk with
a 14.8mm x5mm recess machined into the back to accept the BB and a little silicone holds and
protects it. The sink provides a wide path to allow heat to go into the heavy flashlight body.

Which parts am I stressing while running this off of 2 regular AA's(3v) the circuit or the
batteries? Am I hurting either part? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Should I / Can I run this combo on AA's or stick to the 6v cr-v3's?
More to come /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Chris

ufokillerz

Enlightened
Re: Nexstar 2AA 5 watt mod.

holy crap, and dat2zip's page said that the badboy 750ma can't be driven on 2 cells. Guess i should pick up one someday and check it out, would be damn great to drive a 5 watt off 2 batteries. But i dont imagine how the 5W LS is getting almost full brightness with just 250ma current draw. Anyone care to elaborate on this?

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast

Am I stressing the inductor of the BB or just draining my batteries fast and hard?
Chris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just realized that I put this in the wrong forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Entropy

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Christoph said:
Am I stressing the inductor of the BB or just draining my batteries fast and hard?
Chris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
If anything, you're stressing the switching transistor inside the IC on the BB.

It may go into thermal shutdown very quickly, unless you happen to be heatsinking the IC in addition to the LS.

Latest posts