Sylvania Golden Dragon light at Sams Club

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was not sure whether to start a new thread or pick up on one of the older threads, but these circular single LED lights appeared to be of a somewhat different construction than previous descriptions and I did not wish to go off-topic on previous titles.

Today 24 Jan 2008 I picked up a pack of 3 Sylvania Golden Dragon lights for some $29 including tax at Sams Club. The lights run off 3x AA cells and have a single LED. The light output is quite bright, the motion sensing appears to be IR beam/reflection based, and the light draws about 0.37A on high and 0.07A on low. The motion sensor is definitely not heat-based since waving a sheet of paper over the sensor input will cycle it thru the levels and off. The mounting system is to stick a flat circular magnet with double-stick tape on to a surface, then the back metallic plate of the light is placed over the magnet which holds it there. The metal case opens up with short twist - no screws. A quick operational check with Ni-Mh AA cells gave similar results (sensing and output) as with primary alkaline cells.

Opinion: Although a bit expensive, the light output is quite bright. The light is convenient to mount assuming just about any flat surface. The sensing requires that the hand/finger pass quite close to the case. The light is useful for dark closets if the possible mounting points allows the floody light to illuminate the desired contents. It may also be useful for those of the family that do not want to bump around in a totally dark bathroom in the middle of the night.

Latest posts